The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Camli 22: The Nib, A Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 k3eax

k3eax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 19:25

When I dismantled the pen I found the nib's central and only ink channel not to extent to the tip but rather was found to be about 2mm short of that nib's tip. Is this a design feature or a manufacturing defect?  

I extended the channel to the nib's tip by using a cutting tool and thus  completely eliminated a hard dry start-up problem. Never the less, I still question  whether the channel in its original form was intended or in error. I welcome your responses.

Edited by k3eax, 16 February 2017 - 20:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 k3eax

k3eax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 00:02

My posting regarding my findings when I disassembled the pen in an effort to cure a hard start-up problem had a blaring error. It was not the nib's ink channel but rather the feed's channel that that did not extent to the tip of the feed. Again, after using a cutting tool to extend the channel to the feed's end the hard start-up was cured.

Now my questions are: Was the channel designed to stop 2mm from the feed's tip or was it a failure in quality quality control that resulted in the channel not being cut far enough to reach the feed's tip?.In short are the ink channels in fountain pens supposed to reach the feed's tip?

#3 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:25

can you share pic...

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter