Shakespeare V Wilde We

horationelson

I think I know the answer here, but am interested in others’ thoughts.

I’m torn between the Shakespeare or a Wilde FP (both new, which is one attraction of the latter, although they’re far from impossible to find). The Wilde is also more about 20% more expensive than the Shakespeare.

I know that the reception on the Shakespeare WE on here was on average somewhere between aghast and luke warm, with a club of people in the single digits declaring their love for it. I get the impression that out of all the WE pens, the Wilde – although it is amongst the most distinctive with its almost-leopard print barrel – probably features in the majority of peoples’ top 10, if not top 5, WEs.

On one hand, I feel that it’s silly buying a “new” (i.e. unused) pen from 1994. On the other hand there isn’t much else for the same money in the MB boutiques today that comes close to it.

I also imagine the Shakespeare will be easy to purchase brand new for at least the next 2 years, but finding a new Wilde from a reputable seller doesn’t happen that often.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• horationelson

• torstar

• Chrissy

• meiers

I agree. The Wilde WE is not rare or hard to find.

Buy the pen YOU like better. The one that speaks to you.

The pen YOU want to write with.

Edited by meiers

I once bought a Wilde and sold it again. One of the main reasons was that I just happen to prefer brass threads on my Mb pistons rather than the plastic ones that were on the Wilde.

If you like a vintage look, the Wilde is a great option. Ol' Willie Shakes is more modern looking, and some say mashed together. No right or wrong, just what you like. Both will be around for a long while.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Perhaps this is the better question... Is there any point in paying a (small) premium for a "new" Wilde pen, when I'm only going to ink it up and write with it on a daily basis?

I'm also conscious that with a new pen, such as the Shakespeare, it will be easier/free to get the nib exchanged by walking into an MB boutique.

If I were to walk into my local MB boutique with a Wilde pen and ask for a nib exchange, I guess anything's possible, but it would be £200+ and I'd be surprised if MB still had Wilde nibs available in the unusual formats (e.g. OBB). I'm tempted to hit the boutique tomorrow and plump for Shakespeare, because it's not going to be in boutiques forever.

I agree. The Wilde WE is not rare or hard to find.

Buy the pen YOU like better. The one that speaks to you.

The pen YOU want to write with.

+1

When I sought a Wilde it was twice the original price, no surprise it was a winner, so I considered myself content with the LEs already in the collection.

I prefer the Wilde's design compared to the extras and "tail fins" on recent WEs.

Perhaps this is the better question... Is there any point in paying a (small) premium for a "new" Wilde pen, when I'm only going to ink it up and write with it on a daily basis?

I'm also conscious that with a new pen, such as the Shakespeare, it will be easier/free to get the nib exchanged by walking into an MB boutique.

If I were to walk into my local MB boutique with a Wilde pen and ask for a nib exchange, I guess anything's possible, but it would be £200+ and I'd be surprised if MB still had Wilde nibs available in the unusual formats (e.g. OBB). I'm tempted to hit the boutique tomorrow and plump for Shakespeare, because it's not going to be in boutiques forever.

Pay the premium if the name means that much to you (fully understood) and it will be your cherished daily writer.

If you think you might want a nib exchange then the Shakespeare is definitely the way to go. Even if Montblanc have any Wilde nibs left (unlikely) it would be costly to have an exchange done.

I seem to be in the minority but I really like the Shakespeare, both the look and feel of the pen. My wife bought me the rollerball (engraved - nice touch), and I am keen to add the fountain pen to my colection when funds permit.

Funny how we instinctively like some designs whilst rejecting others. The grooved metal on the Tolstoy, although I like his work, put me off when I handled it in the boutique. The mouthpiece on the Davis, although I haven't seen it in person yet, reminds me of one of those electronic cigarettes, would I be able to take it onto a flight?! No much wonder the Montblanc folks have a hard time keeping us all happy.

Went into the local MB boutique today. Going in I was bout 85% certain I would buy the Shakespeare FP. But...

I just can’t buy the pen. It’s not the money, but the design. The pen isn’t wholly unattractive, and I appreciate the symbolism of certain elements on the pen, but the charm of most WE pens is subtle allusions to the author of their works. The steps resembling the Globe seating on the cap is mildly subtle. But the gold ring at the bottom of the barrel with images of a skull, R&J etc look as if they were originally designed on a Windows 95 PC as 48x48 pixel thumbnail, then transposed straight onto the metal. The tapered, round/conical piston is at odds with the oversized, hexagonal cap. I really want to buy the pen in case I like it one day, but I just can’t.

Went into the local MB boutique today. Going in I was bout 85% certain I would buy the Shakespeare FP. But...

I just can’t buy the pen. It’s not the money, but the design. The pen isn’t wholly unattractive, and I appreciate the symbolism of certain elements on the pen, but the charm of most WE pens is subtle allusions to the author of their works. The steps resembling the Globe seating on the cap is mildly subtle. But the gold ring at the bottom of the barrel with images of a skull, R&J etc look as if they were originally designed on a Windows 95 PC as 48x48 pixel thumbnail, then transposed straight onto the metal. The tapered, round/conical piston is at odds with the oversized, hexagonal cap. I really want to buy the pen in case I like it one day, but I just can’t.

Not a fan of the last 15 of so years of LE, maybe we can use them as a weapon to save our life with one throw at an attacker some day.

You realize any wish regarding Oscar will never get happily fulfilled, right???

Not a fan of the last 15 of so years of LE, maybe we can use them as a weapon to save our life with one throw at an attacker some day.

You realize any wish regarding Oscar will never get happily fulfilled, right???

Funny you say that, as the Wilde LE I was hoping to buy this weekend has now sold. There are others out there, however. (PS Is that an allusion to Dorian Gray re unfulfilled wishes?)

Funny you say that, as the Wilde LE I was hoping to buy this weekend has now sold. There are others out there, however. (PS Is that an allusion to Dorian Gray re unfulfilled wishes?)

MB knows we are hooked on name-association with the pens and when it clicks, like me with the great Proust pen, it's almost magic...

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finally took the plunge... some photos below.

I haven't inked it up yet - still trying to decide what colour. I have some Shakespeare Red, which would be slightly ironic given this thread. I'm toying with the idea of toffee brown, which I think goes with the pen best. It's a shame they don't make Racing Green anymore - Irish Green would be appropriate form a historical/biographical context, but I'm not that mad on the colour.

I saw the Shakespeare again in a boutique today and on balance I'm glad I went for the Wilde in the end. It's just more subtle in its nod to the author, and although they're not that hard to track down, I wouldn't say it's easy to find old new stock from a reputable seller.

IMG_4634.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg

Beautiful, mine turned up yesterday also. I'm going to ink it tomorrow with Diamine Safari if it arrives in time!