Pilot Custom 743 Stub A Big Disappointment

DNC

I ordered a Pilot Custom 743 with a Stub (SU) nib hoping to receive a fountain pen with good line variation. I am a big fan of Pilot but this pen gives less line variation than their Metropolitan model which is a fraction of the price. I will go as far as to say this pen's line variation is almost undetectable to me. This posting is about my disappointment in this pens line variation so I will not get off the subject, but quite honestly this pen is a disappointment in almost every aspect to me.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DNC

• Oranges and Apples

• jar

• ac12

Oh, wow, David. I can't believe it. :huh:

Is the problem lack of flex or lack of nib width?

I'm real sorry to hear this; is there anyway you can return or exchange it for a different nibbed pen?

- Anthony

There is a review and writing sample in the thread that OandA linked to.

How does your pen compare?

The Metropolitan does NOT have a stub nib. It is either Medium or Fine ball nib.

At least that is all the selection you had the last time that I looked at the Metropolitan.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

On post #6, there is a written sample, I was wondering if it performs as the poster's nib did.

Thank you for replying to my post. I apologize, but I do not understand your question.

The poster also included more writing samples with comparisons.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/202004-pilot-custom-743-su/?p=2578479

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/202004-pilot-custom-743-su/?p=3699127

Edited by Oranges and Apples

Oh, wow, David. I can't believe it. :huh:

Is the problem lack of flex or lack of nib width?

I'm real sorry to hear this; is there anyway you can return or exchange it for a different nibbed pen?

- Anthony

Hi Anthony, I think it is all in the width of the nib. I probably cannot return it but there is always the chance I could talk with a nib person to see if they think there is a chance of working with it. Take care.

There is a review and writing sample in the thread that OandA linked to.

How does your pen compare?

The Metropolitan does NOT have a stub nib. It is either Medium or Fine ball nib.

At least that is all the selection you had the last time that I looked at the Metropolitan.

I have not read the review yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and get back to you.

I have a Metropolitan in each color with the Stub nib. I bought it from Goulet Pens.

On post #6, there is a written sample, I was wondering if it performs as the poster's nib did.

The poster also included more writing samples with comparisons.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/202004-pilot-custom-743-su/?p=2578479

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/202004-pilot-custom-743-su/?p=3699127

Thank you for helping me out with understanding your question. Cold and sinus issues have made me a little even less intelligent. I do see some line variation in the posting that I don't see with the pen I purchased. Thanks for sharing that review by the way.

No problem.

You might be able to argue that the pen which you received is sub-par or perhaps even defective.

When you purchase a pen for such a great amount, you expect a certain quality and it seems that you are unsatisfied with the quality you have received.

I have not read the review yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and get back to you.

I have a Metropolitan in each color with the Stub nib. I bought it from Goulet Pens.

Dang if you're right.

They added a stub to the Metropolitan lineup.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

It's not a matter of quality.

Pilot stub nib is not so wide as 1.0 mm Italic.

It's not fair to compare those two completely different nib.

Here is some writing sample shown in Japanese Pilot website.

"SU" is for stub nib.

It's not a matter of quality.

Pilot stub nib is not so wide as 1.0 mm Italic.

It's not fair to compare those two completely different nib.

Here is some writing sample shown in Japanese Pilot website.

"SU" is for stub nib.

What isn't fair is what I paid for a pen that is said to have a Stub nib but instead has next to no line variation. The pen is advertised and marked SU. That is not a matter of quality. What is a matter of quality is the pen feels cheap and looks like someone has permanently glued a converter inside the pen. Though it does have a handsome nib.

It is unfortunate, but the SU marking on Pilot's nibs are not real stubs in the sense of a Western stub. Their best stub in their line is the Music nib. I was lucky enough to be able to test the pens while in Tokyo at a pen store. You have to remember the majority of their product are developed for the Japanese and Asian market and we don't use stubs over here.

this pen gives less line variation than their Metropolitan model which is a fraction of the price

As indeed it should. Despite many sellers calling the Metropolitan a stub, it's really an italic, having a definite chisel shape to it. This is very obvious in the BB version which it's possible to find on the Pilot Plumix.

I appreciate there's no universally agreed definition of a stub, but it doesn't help buyers when sellers use the term for everything from a spheroid that gives a gentle modulation of the line to a Pilot Parallel 6.0mm that gives you "line variation" you can drive a bus through.

Edited by brunico

The Pilot Music nib is pretty big but lovely to use and nicely stubbish in quality. Some stubs though don't give away much in line variation. Pilot stubs aren't the only miserly stubs out there.

If research was done, he the OP says that he does not get the line variations as from other reviews, then I think he should be able to get an exchange or a refund, depending on the seller's policy.

I ordered a Pilot Custom 743 with a Stub (SU) nib hoping to receive a fountain pen with good line variation. I am a big fan of Pilot but this pen gives less line variation than their Metropolitan model which is a fraction of the price. I will go as far as to say this pen's line variation is almost undetectable to me. This posting is about my disappointment in this pens line variation so I will not get off the subject, but quite honestly this pen is a disappointment in almost every aspect to me.

Can you take a pic showing an example of writing with the Pilot 743 stub so that people can advise?

I have a Pilot SU nib in a 912 and yes Virginia it is without a doubt the worst stub nib I own. It is a sorry excuse for a stub nib. It's not a bad nib but it is a very bad Stub nib.

http://www.fototime.com/D4582F0D7262335/medium800.jpg

My Website