Parker Sonnet Inkflow Issues

Retro-user

Really, Parker? This is the second Sonnet fountain pen I've bought in the last 10 years, and after spending the day flushing this new pen in an effort to get the cartridge inkflow started, no go. My first Sonnet cost $170 and ended up having to be sent back to a facility in France for repairs. This one is a much cheaper Sonnet in red with gold nib. Old Schaeffer school pens 30 years ago weren't this much trouble! I've read elsewhere on here about using brass shims, razor blades, etc. My point is, we shouldn't have to adjust tines on items this costly and with this reputation. I suppose Parker and I will have to part ways or else I'll stick to the rollerball or ballpoint models.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Retro-user

• Mike 59

• mitto

• pajaro

That's the nature of fountain pens. There are many many many posts which demonstrate that on the forum. Fountain pens are luxuries in this day and age, and the more expensive are designed to look pretty and expensive rather than write well, whereas the lower end are more utilitarian.

In the Western world at least.

Parker's best days are probably behind them, which is a shame really because they were once very well regarded. If you want a better chance of a decent writing experience in the 21st Century, go Japanese or Chinese. The rest is pot luck.

Edited by Bluey

I have at least twenty-five Sonnets that I bought, mainly used, for about $30 to $50 or so. I have largely given up on using them, because the ink flow dries up after a period of a few hours of inactivity, capped, on most or all of them. These are nice looking pens, and if I wet the nib and feed, or if I refill the pen, it picks up and writes until I cap it and leave it for a while. The pens are beautiful, and I like looking at them in the tray. I have found, for example, Moonbeam in 2 shades, Fire Dance in three shades, and I hate to let them go, but how can I sell them in all honesty?

I have these with medium and broad italic, left and right oblique, and EF, F, M and B nibs. It's really a shame.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi, Just a thought, did the ink cartridge puncture to let the ink flow out when you fitted it?

Assuming 'yes', then if you turn the nib over, and put a drop of ink (by squeezing the cartridge) onto the underside of it, does the pen write? It should do.

(I'm trying to find out if there is a blockage in the feed channels from these tests.)

Hi, Just a thought, did the ink cartridge puncture to let the ink flow out when you fitted it?

Assuming 'yes', then if you turn the nib over, and put a drop of ink (by squeezing the cartridge) onto the underside of it, does the pen write? It should do.

(I'm trying to find out if there is a blockage in the feed channels from these tests.)

Yes, I did get the cartridge to open, and ink will bubble on the back part of the feed when cart is squeezed. I also flushed with water. I think the tines are too tight. I'm going to try the brass shims trick to see if that helps.

Hi, One point that you might know about with the Sonnet, is that if you want to remove the feed, it has an unusual fitting.

You would need to unscrew the feed one turn undone, then pull the feed + nib out.

This is the same design as the 'Frontier', but otherwise I've not seen this on any other pen.

The nib is clipped onto the feed at each side. I'm not sure why other pens are not like this, it's a good idea.

Also bear in mind that Sonnet nibs are fairly thin metal, but using a 1 or 2 thou shim should not damage it.

Edited by Mike 59

Really, Parker? This is the second Sonnet fountain pen I've bought in the last 10 years, and after spending the day flushing this new pen in an effort to get the cartridge inkflow started, no go. My first Sonnet cost $170 and ended up having to be sent back to a facility in France for repairs. This one is a much cheaper Sonnet in red with gold nib. Old Schaeffer school pens 30 years ago weren't this much trouble! I've read elsewhere on here about using brass shims, razor blades, etc. My point is, we shouldn't have to adjust tines on items this costly and with this reputation. I suppose Parker and I will have to part ways or else I'll stick to the rollerball or ballpoint models.

There was a quality control problem with the Cisele that cost $250 US back in the 90s.

One shouldn't have to do anything with a pen in that cost bracket.

I guess you can get some knockoff Sonnet model for $30, but that isn't quite coming close to the pen that caused all the ruckus....

Finally, some progress. I was able to find two substitute shims to open up the tines, which seemed to be very tight. The first was a thin piece of clear tracing film and the other was a thin metal erasing template, both purchased at Hobby Lobby. It is now free flowing to where I can write sentences with it, but I would still characterize it as a DRY writer. Still, it's usable. I now worry I may have misaligned the tines from the attempts to widen them! Does anyone know if there is any thing I should do to smooth the nib? And, should I flush with soapy water before the next cartridge?

Hi, The only Sonnet I have is a 2015 (France) version, where the nib was very well finished and I would not have been able to improve it by smoothing.

It's possible that the nib tines are not level, but easily fixed if you have a 10x magnifier, and can see any changes you make.

I would say to just use fingernails to push the nib rather than any metal tools.

Once the ink flow becomes greater, the nib will write more smoothly.

Edited by Mike 59

Hi Slimfish, No mods to my Sonnet at all, it's from the 'Great Expectations' range, the 'Subtle Big Red' version.

I think it was only made for a short time, maybe 2015, and not made now I believe.

It has the 18k nib, but plated over.

For a different picture of it, I found this;

http://www.gentlemanstationer.com/blog/2017/1/9/pen-review-parker-sonnet-great-expectations-edition

Exactly. My Sonnet I loaded with a cartridge is not working no matter what. I can't believe it.

My other Sonnet however is working like a dream, but it still skips occasionally.

Edited by FlippyThePen

Really? I didn't know that the red Sonnet came with a gold nib. I thought it was one of the lower-tier Sonnets...

Hi, The only Sonnet I have is a 2015 (France) version, where the nib was very well finished and I would not have been able to improve it by smoothing.

It's possible that the nib tines are not level, but easily fixed if you have a 10x magnifier, and can see any changes you make.

I would say to just use fingernails to push the nib rather than any metal tools.

Once the ink flow becomes greater, the nib will write more smoothly.

Nice pen! I heard that's the new special edition. Use it well. :P

I wish my Dark Grey Sonnet wrote like you described it.

Really? I didn't know that the red Sonnet came with a gold nib. I thought it was one of the lower-tier Sonnets...

It's actually gold plated stainless steel.

Any of the Sonnet nibs can be interchanged. Most of the sections are the same, except for some early deluxe versions.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi Slimfish, My Sonnet was part of the 'Great Expectations' range from a couple of years ago, mine is dated 2015, but not now on the Parker website. I bought it in a UK department store, it's an offical Parker dealer, so I didn't worry about it being fake.

I only bought it because it was reduced in price by a large amount, an 'end of line' reduction.

I do have the Parker 2015 catalogue in pdf form, where it is shown with all the others at that time.

Part nbr is; 1930488

One link that shows them is here, https://www.coloradopen.com/category/Parker-Sonnet-Great-Expectations-Collection

I think that a few of these are being sold now as part of the 'new' Sonnet line up, but I'm no Sonnet expert so could be wrong too!

Edited by Mike 59