• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashram

• kronos77

• essayfaire

• Cryptos

Most of these were 1 store exclusive limited editions from Japan that had to be purchased on release in store. You can occasionally find these on the secondary market. If I see any for sale I'll let you know.

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

The two pens on the left in your picture, the sparkly blue and red, are the pens that were test-marketed in Japan and the USA in 2009. I found them on ebay a few years ago, but I haven't seen them recently.

The Bung-Box store has a different exclusive limited-edition pen every year, sometimes made by Pilot, and sometimes by Sailor.

If you want to catch them, you have to pay attention to their web site.

This year, they have a Sailor Pro Gear in gold and black. There are still a few available, according to the site: http://bung-box.com/products/detail2086.html

Edited by rutherfordr

Scientia potentia est.

The two pens on the left in your picture, the sparkly blue and red, are the pens that were test-marketed in Japan and the USA in 2009. I found them on ebay a few years ago, but I haven't seen them recently.

These two were actually released in Japan as a regular production limited edition of 800 pens per color with available matching ballpoints. The promotional materials from the time confirm this. They were not a test market item and were available for sale at least in the Tokyo area and perhaps elsewhere in Japan. For some reason that escapes me the red one is much harder to find than the blue. The ballpoints are even more difficult to source though they are less desirable generally than the fountain pens.

My dark blue mica arrived this week from a Japanese seller on Amazon. No converter, but otherwise perfect and I love it SO much. Now I'm wondering if I would love the bigger VP just as much....the Raden Galaxy in particular..... *sigh* if Pilot would release that finish for the Decimo I'd be ecstatic.

On a less happy note, I saw a news story about illegal Mica mines in India that use children as young as 6 as miners :( it would be lovely to think that the mica on these pens comes from an ethical source.

I'd also be up for a Raden decimo. Those limited edition colors sending prices upwards of $300+ is mind boggling. I'd much rather have something like the Raden finish, for that kind of price.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

In Japan there are a ton of different limited edition Decimos in many colors. Here are a few from my collection. All except the 2 orange Bungubox pens on the right are Decimo size.

http://i.imgur.com/LWGtYG7.jpg

Wow those look lovely

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 2 months later...

So is anyone familiar enough with Pilot's business practices to take an educated guess as to the availability of the Dark Blue or White Decimo in the US? I prefer to buy from a nibmeister to ensure everything is ok.

With the Japanese makers, the pens come in more colors than you think.

This is a Decimo. Check out my LA show report later when I put up Saturday and I'll have a funny story about this pen.

32190356583_6dd2e3318f_c.jpg

That's beautiful! What color do they call this one?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Most US stores sell the Decimo in black, red, Champage light blue, and light purple. I have seen the Decimo for sale in dark blue and white on ebay. Are these colors not available in the US? is ebay the only way to get them?

Goulet Pens just posted a YouTube video about why some Japanese pens aren't available here even though there seems to be a demand for them. I always wonder about if JetPens and/or eBay are technically allowed to sell in the U.S. .

Festina lente

In Japan there are a ton of different limited edition Decimos in many colors. Here are a few from my collection. All except the 2 orange Bungubox pens on the right are Decimo size.

http://i.imgur.com/LWGtYG7.jpg

The Dark Green one (third from the right) is beautiful and I would love to get my hands on one. Does anyone have details of when and where it was issued? It looks like a Bung Box logo on it.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Goulet Pens just posted a YouTube video about why some Japanese pens aren't available here even though there seems to be a demand for them. I always wonder about if JetPens and/or eBay are technically allowed to sell in the U.S. .

Would you mind posting a link to that video. I can't seem to find it.

With the Japanese makers, the pens come in more colors than you think.

This is a Decimo. Check out my LA show report later when I put up Saturday and I'll have a funny story about this pen.

32190356583_6dd2e3318f_c.jpg

I really love that color. You should provide a link to the story..

Would you mind posting a link to that video. I can't seem to find it.

Here you go!

Festina lente

I think this video is meant

Yes - you beat me to it.

Festina lente

The Dark Green one (third from the right) is beautiful and I would love to get my hands on one. Does anyone have details of when and where it was issued? It looks like a Bung Box logo on it.

This was the Bungubox "thé" decimo released in 2014 as a limited edition of 100. It was their first limited edition like this and now it's nearly impossible to find. The last one I saw that came up for sale sold for almost $700.

Thanks for the information. I thought that this might be the case, but your picture is a lot better than the one that they have on their website. I'll add this to my "hey, I might get lucky someday" list (along with the Norwegian Wood pen (a Sailor, I think) - that one is really striking!).

I looked and did not see anything that allowed people to sign up for email notification when they release new gems like these. Did I miss it?

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.