Pen Cases?

DekeVader

Can anyone recommend a pen case that won't scratch my pens? I've been looking around and some of the pen cases just seem harsh. The one I currently have has a velvet background but its scratching some of my pens which is annoying, especially the pens with the gold plating around the cap bands (top and bottom) like my sailor 1911.

I was thinking about getting a Franklin Christoph pen case but I'm not sure if that would scratch my pens or not. I need something that will hold 5 pens since that's how many I usually like to take to work with me.

Thanks!!!

-D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DekeVader

• Blazing

• thygreyt

• ArtofEricGunty

I have a couple of FC Penvelope "6" cases, and they have not scratched my pens. However, if this is an issue, I would look at the Visconti pen cases with the soft lining.

...So much ink, so little penmanship....

I've had good luck with this one:

http://www.andersonpens.com/12-Pen-Case-Brown-Leather-p/pcl12brown.htm

You do need to be careful though as the zipper runs around the case - so you have to watch for that when you add or remove a pen.

EDIT: Ah - sorry - I didn't read your entire post. Of course this is overkill for you what you want!!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

If it's a case for carrying pens you should take a look at the Pilot Somes line, they're awesome, they're cases for two and three pens. I do not know/use cases for storing pens...

If it's a case for carrying pens you should take a look at the Pilot Somes line, they're awesome, they're cases for two and three pens. I do not know/use cases for storing pens...

I agree with the above. The Pilot Somes line seems to be of high quality and the interior is soft, unlike most other pen cases where it's either nylon (which scratches your pens over time, as I experienced with my Lamy case) or the same leather as the exterior. The only downside would be that the dividers do not extend all the way to the bottom of the case, which means your pens may end up hitting each other.

The pen case which I use is one which ticks most of the boxes for me; it's the Visconti Dreamtouch 3 Pen Case. It has a velvet lining which prevents any scratches, the dividers run through from top to bottom of the case and there is ample room for each pen slot. The main downsides to this pen case would be that it is slightly bigger than the less protective cases of equivalent capacity such as those from Lamy and Pelikan (which I would say is due to the fact that this is a hard case rather than a soft one, and the pen slots are bigger) and that the case itself is very pricy.

When I bought this pen case, it was between the Pilot Somes and the Visconti Dreamtouch. I chose the Visconti because it was cheaper (even when importing from Japan) and the dividers run throughout the case. These are the two top pen cases in my opinion, and the choice between them simply depends on your personal preference.

I have extensive, daily in-pocket experience with the Pilot Somès 3-pen case and the pens don't knock together at the bottom, even if I deliberately shake the case by its top. In addition, the sueded pigskin interior hasn't scratched my pens.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I used to have one of alc3261's pen wraps. She does very nice work and at a reasonable price. She sells them through her etsy store.

For day to day carry I have tried a couple of things and pen wraps work best for me. The one I use most of the time is a real cheapo one I found on ebay. I think it was under $5 shipped.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Look at cases for eyeglasses instead of pens. My wife got me a really nice leather eyeglass case with a smooth satin interior. If it is designed not to scratch plastic lenses, then it won't scratch a pen. The one I have has compartments on the side for pens as well. When I travel, I use it to carry a few pens and a spare watch.

OP, I'm surprised velvet is scratching your pens. I would have though the velvet itself would wear before plating did!

I have two of alc3261's wraps and highly recommend them - I have several pens with highlighted imprints, and the cloth is soft enough not to rub this off.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

well, any pen cases, bag, pen pouch or pen wrap with velvet / felt / fleece lining should do OK. Leather might be a good idea for the exterior but definitely not the inside lining. Most of my pen cases ( or should I say pouch instead since they are all soft materials ) are crafted ones ( independent workshop and individuals ) that I bought off Etsy or local sourced. Had not fail me anyhow. Had a couple high end leather pen case but they were all lined with felt or velvet. And a trio of them lined with silk.

As an Asian, I also had a collection of chopstick wrap that I used to protect my pen in storage ( yes you read it right, chopstick wrap ). These are more like textile wrap one suppose to put one's own set of ( supposed to be; expensive ) chopsticks and carry around for personal use. A pen is of course significantly shorter and would fit in there. These wrap are usually made of high grade fine textile and the wrap had cords to hold everything tight. Despite that they are usually very economically priced. For the price of a typical leather pen pouch that hold say 2 or 3 pen I can buy 20 to 30 of these wraps and they mean 20 to 30 individual wrap for 20 to 30 of my pens.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Hey all thanks for all the great suggestions!!!

I'm going to check out the pilot Somes collection, I briefly took a look and I'm liking what I see!

I looked at a few Visconti cases, they are really nice but also a bit pricey but I'm going to keep my eyes on those as well. Both appear to have a gentler interior than my current one.

I should have elaborated that the "Velvet" interior is a faux velvet that has already worn away and now it's just a flimsy plastic material.

My birthday is next week so I'll be taking a hard look at these and then make a decision. I'll post when I get my new one and let you know what I decided on.

I've got a trip planned to Anderson Pens next Friday for my birthday so I'll not only be getting a case but a new pen! :D

-D

I make leather products and am interested in possibly offering some leather pen cases if I can come up with a good design. What is it that would prevent scratching of the pens? I'd like to offer high quality, hand made, hand dyed leather products but definitely wouldn't want to put out something that would damage a pen. I've made a few for family members and they seem to enjoy them. What would all of you like to see in a pen case?

il_570xN.1171016207_tvi6.jpg

Edited by ArtofEricGunty

How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?

Vincent Van Gogh

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GuntyLeatherworks

I make leather products and am interested in possibly offering some leather pen cases if I can come up with a good design. What is it that would prevent scratching of the pens? I'd like to offer high quality, hand made, hand dyed leather products but definitely wouldn't want to put out something that would damage a pen. I've made a few for family members and they seem to enjoy them. What would all of you like to see in a pen case?

il_570xN.1171016207_tvi6.jpg

The main things I look for are;

1st: is the interior a soft material that won't scratch my pens (is it soft leather or another soft material? I stay away from hard leathers that haven't be softened and treated, or "Cheap" interior materials if I can help it. Obviously I failed with this latest case i'm using which is why I'm looking for another)

2nd: how many pens will it hold and what size pens it will hold (I ideally like to carry 5 pens with me to work, it allows me the use of several colors and nib sizes/types)

3rd: Price (Is the pen case worth it based on the quality of the materials use, craftsmanship and overall look. I don't mind paying more if I know I"m getting a quality product, but if the quality is substandard or there is some flaw in the design etc... I would question if the price is worth it or move on to another brand or maker)

Having been obsessively looking at pen cases for the last two weeks I can tell you that for "me" I like the styles where the pens are secure, separated or have a way to keep from bumping into each other this can be separate sections or the ability to clip firmly to the "pocket". I really like the design of the Franklin Christoph pen pouch (holds 5 pens) or the Visconti that holds 3 (though I wish it held 5 pens, if it did I'd buy it in a heart beat).

Mind you these are just the things I look for and I admit I'm a bit obsessive with my pens and keeping them in tip top shape is a high priority for me. Hopefully that helps and gives you some market research on making your own cases.

Good luck!!!! and if you start producing pen pouches shoot me a link to wherever you are selling them and I'll take a look :)

-D

The main things I look for are;

1st: is the interior a soft material that won't scratch my pens (is it soft leather or another soft material? I stay away from hard leathers that haven't be softened and treated, or "Cheap" interior materials if I can help it. Obviously I failed with this latest case i'm using which is why I'm looking for another)

2nd: how many pens will it hold and what size pens it will hold (I ideally like to carry 5 pens with me to work, it allows me the use of several colors and nib sizes/types)

3rd: Price (Is the pen case worth it based on the quality of the materials use, craftsmanship and overall look. I don't mind paying more if I know I"m getting a quality product, but if the quality is substandard or there is some flaw in the design etc... I would question if the price is worth it or move on to another brand or maker)

Having been obsessively looking at pen cases for the last two weeks I can tell you that for "me" I like the styles where the pens are secure, separated or have a way to keep from bumping into each other this can be separate sections or the ability to clip firmly to the "pocket". I really like the design of the Franklin Christoph pen pouch (holds 5 pens) or the Visconti that holds 3 (though I wish it held 5 pens, if it did I'd buy it in a heart beat).

Mind you these are just the things I look for and I admit I'm a bit obsessive with my pens and keeping them in tip top shape is a high priority for me. Hopefully that helps and gives you some market research on making your own cases.

Good luck!!!! and if you start producing pen pouches shoot me a link to wherever you are selling them and I'll take a look :)

-D

Thanks for the feedback. It gives me something to shoot for when creating new products. I have family members who love their fountain pens and they're always asking me to create stuff for them but I'd like to eventually expand to other pen and paper lovers.

How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?

Vincent Van Gogh

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GuntyLeatherworks

HIsNibs.com has a number of pen storage solutions. For example:

http://www.hisnibs.com/PenCasesBrown12OpenSide_small.jpg

http://www.hisnibs.com/PenCasesBrown48Filled3_small.jpg

as well as pen rolls in various sizes and patterns:

http://www.hisnibs.com/penrollnibPointsWhite8Wrapped_small.jpg

Edited by His Nibs

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

My 3 pen leather pouch is my every day carry with 3 pens for the day. It is compact enough to carry in my front pocket with keys etc.

fpn_1487568493__3_pen_pouch2.jpg

fpn_1487568530__3_pen_pouch3.jpg

I just solved this problem with a Nock 3 pen case. I had been using the single pen pouches for awhile that you can find from Goulet, but I wanted one for the three pens I carry every day for work (blue black, purple, and a rotating 3rd color), and Nock's was the best combo of price plus design. Can't recall the name of it from memory, but it is one you have to buy directly from them. It is a three pen case only, not one that holds notebooks too.