The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

21 Turquoise Inks

turquoise diamine pelikan kwz robert oster noodlers sailor j. herbin levenger

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 16:06

Recently, I became obsessed with light blue inks especially if they are turquoise, whatever that means. Turquoise is described as greenish blue but most inks with that name are basically blue with one or very few dyes. Chromatography with these inks is not very exciting. Many of them are, however, very beautiful (to me at least) and have uncommonly good writing properties perhaps because of their simplicity and relatively low dye content.  Sheen is possible with some of these ink, at least on Tomoe River paper, but water resistance is uniformly not good. That said Pelikan 4001 Turkis Turquoise, Noodler's Midway Blue (ok, not a turquoise for sure), Noodler's American Eel Turquoise, and of course, KWZ IG (iron gall) Turquoise hold up surprisingly well to water. 

Diamine Shimmertastic Tropical Glow, Diamine Marine, and Noodler's Turquoise are probably closest to dictionary greenish blues strictly considered turquoise. Noodler's Turquoise is a little over saturated to have much fun with though.

Both Shimmertastic inks are really fabulous inks to write with and look incredible. The glitter really does not seem to hamper performance nor harm the pen. Amazing inks even if not shaken to get max glitter effect. Would love to see glitter free versions of these inks made available. 

Some standouts at this time for me are Pelikan 4001 Turkis Turquoise for its beautiful color, versatility, sheen potential, and moderate water resistance. Lamy Turquoise is great too, good writing performance, some shading, and maybe some sheen. J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche is really nice too. I need more time to really study these inks....the differences between many are subtle. 

Platinum Mix Free Aqua Blue is really pure cerulean - ish blue. It's also somewhat dilute and I really did not like it at first but now I kinda like it some. Levenger Blue Bahama looks quite nice but feathers some on everything but Tomoe River paper.

Let me know your thoughts.

From top to bottom:

Pelikan 4001 Turkis Turquoise 

Noodler's Midway Blue

Levenger Blue Bahama

KWZ IG Turquoise 

Diamine Turquoise 

J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche

Diamine Havasu Turquoise 

Diamine Marine

Robert Oster Signature Australian Sky Blue

Diamine Eau de Nil

Diamine Shimmertastic Blue Lighting

De Atramentis Forget-me-not

Diamine Aqua Blue

Noodler's American Eel Turquoise 

Lamy Turquoise 

Noodler's Turquoise 

Platinum Mix Free Aqua Blue

Noodler's Navajo Turquoise 

Diamine Shimmertastic Tropical Glow

Sailor Jentle Ink Sky High

Sailor Jentle Ink Souten

Paper is Tomoe River

32877343296_6bcadd2ac4_k.jpgTurquoise inks reduced size by Jon Andresen, on Flickr

32877331696_19a0a487e6_k.jpgTurquoise inks wash reduced size by Jon Andresen, on Flickr

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 16:19

Thanks for the nice collection. It's not "your fault" that so many are (also IMO) not really turquoise at all but more of a blue, at most a slightly greenish blue. Let's say it's the manufacturer's fault for calling them that. Other turquoises are really more turquoise, e.g. CdA (old and new), MB (old) plus Balzac and Friendship; also Montegrappa, Omas, Skrips, Visconti, Waterman... Of course, it's all a matter of taste. I love some of the bluest ones the most, but I still wouldn't call them turquoise when I think of a caribbean or a south sea blue....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 16:26

Thanks for this recent effort. I like turquoise inks and this is helpful to me.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#4 vikrmbedi

vikrmbedi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 16:34

In my opinion pelikan Edelstein jade... looks more turquoise than other inks.

or you may say robin eggshell blue.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 17:20

Thanks for the comparison.  Ever since I acquired a bottle of vintage Skrip Peacock, I've developed an appreciation for turquoise inks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 21:24

I love Pelikan turquoise because it shades nicely even with a Japanese fine, and works well on cheap/bad paper.

#7 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 22:18

It's nice to see your ink samples. Some of them clearly fall outside the cyan range (aqua, turquoise and teal). One pleasant characteristic of the turquoise inks I have is their generous ability to shade, clearly distinguishing my writing as most-definitely-not-done-by-ballpoint. 

James

#8 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 23:31

Great post! Very much appreciated. :)

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#9 Lexus77

Lexus77

I think I Peli-can!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 23:39

Very nice. I love turquoise inks.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

#10 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:28

To me they all look more or less the same. I like Waterman south sea blue, but use it perhaps one filling every two months.

Then I like it again for awhile.

#11 Scriptorius

Scriptorius

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:14

My personal favorite turquoise ink, hands down, is Robert Oster's Torquay [Tor-KEE].   Check out this comprehensive review:

https://www.penaddic...orquay-a-review

Pilot's Iroshizuku Ku-jaku would be a close second. 

https://www.penaddic...jaku-ink-review

I'm actually surprised that neither of these is in the list of turquoise inks that were tested.   They're both definitely worth owning.

K

Attached Images

• Sample-ROS-Torquay-2T (1).jpg
  • ku-jaku.jpg

Edited by Scriptorius, 20 February 2017 - 05:26.

#12 Parc Monceau

Parc Monceau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:23

Thank you very much for these comparisons. Turquoise is my favorite shade of blue. J. Herbin bleu pervenche is the ink I use the most. Of your samples, Diamine Turquoise and Platinum Aqua Blue strike me as the most attractive. Actually, I like the lighter shades on the wash page that resemble tropical waters. Are there any inks that duplicate these shades?

#13 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 907 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:14

My personal favorite turquoise ink, hands down, is Robert Oster's Torquay [Tor-KEE].   Check out this comprehensive review:

https://www.penaddic...orquay-a-review

Pilot's Iroshizuku Ku-jaku would be a close second. 

https://www.penaddic...jaku-ink-review

I'm actually surprised that neither of these is in the list of turquoise inks that were tested.   They're both definitely worth owning.

K

Thanks for the tips. Most of the turquoise inks I compared in the post I purchased in the last two or three weeks so I guess I left some out! Not a turquoise but I picked up Pilot Iroshizuku Ama-iro today. Very nice blue that some might call turquoise. I'll see about picking up the inks you mentioned.

#14 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2017 - 17:07

Great Stuff! Thank yo.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#15 drrusso

drrusso

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:11

Hello!

Great comparison.
Cool to see that you have included pelikans 4001 turquoise too. I use this ink often. Nice shading.
Thanks.
Best regards, Arvind.

#16 drrusso

drrusso

Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:14

I love Pelikan turquoise because it shades nicely even with a Japanese fine, and works well on cheap/bad paper.

+1.
I fimd pelikan 4001 turquoise the same way!
Nice ink. Nice shading.

Regards,
Best regards, Arvind.

#17 bayport714

bayport714

A Hardy Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:06

I have a bottle of Montblanc turquoise that is almost depleted. Since Montblanc doesn't offer this any longer I am looking for a replacement. Your review is very helpful. I think I'll try the Lamy and see how that works out.

#18 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 13:25

I'm not a big fan of turquoise but wanted to round out my ink collection with an example.

I don't even like blue that much.

While looking down the list of offerings, I was mentally checking them off as blue or green.

Blue...Blue...Green...Blue,Green,Blue...etc...

I then got to one where I couldn't figure out if it was blue or green.

There is a bottle of J. Herbin 1670 somewhere in the post heading my way because it confounded me.

Did you know that the J. Herbin company has been around for 340 years?

That's impressive!

Edited by ReadyFireAim, 10 March 2017 - 13:32.

#19 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,371 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 15:33

Great comparisons!  Thank you for sharing.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#20 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,105 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 00:45

Very nice, thank you so much!
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turquoise, diamine, pelikan, kwz, robert oster, noodlers, sailor, j. herbin, levenger

Sponsored Content

|