Kamakura-Bori Pens

mchenart

Yes, I have a thing about handmade pens, especially those by artisans who use lacquer and carving knife to form their unique creations. Japanese Kamakura-bori pens, with their oblong ‘dimples’ carved into urushi on the barrel and cap, have long fascinated me. Because of the handmade nature of these pens, they come in different sizes, makes, with carved dimples small and big arranged in various fashion. No two seem to be alike. I knew right away that by getting one example of the pen would never be enough for me. So one pen leads to another, I am now the proud owner of ten Kamakura-bori’s.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3468_zps5yx9ekxr.jpg

First of all, Kamakura-bori might be a misnomer in describing these pens. A Kamakura-bori item is lacquerware on which the artisan first carves patterns on a wooden base, and then covers the whole surface with lacquer. The Kamakura-bori pen, as we know it, refers to those which have multiple layers of urushi applied on the cap and barrel first, and then carved. Somehow over the years, the misnomer sticks. Kamakura, of course, refers to the name of the port city near Tokyo through which Chinese lacquerware was first introduced to Japan. When I went to Kamakura a few years back, I saw craft stores selling predominantly Kamakura-bori bowls, plates and boxes in bright vermillion; it is obvious that they have become quite well known and desirable to the Japanese.

Whatever the description, Kamakura-bori pens are truly unique. The carved dimples create a slip-free surface that makes the pens easy to hold, but never coarse or abrasive in touch. In a way, they are reminiscent of metal pens with barley pattern or guilloche surface treatment, but are warmer in the hand because of the urushi. If you looked at the rolls of indentations long enough, you might notice a very slight misalignment here and there, or one that has been carved just a bit deeper than the others, but the overall impression you will get is one of beauty and discipline, brought about by years of hard focused work. The degree of concentration required of the artisan in creating this pattern is simply mind-boggling. The base of almost all Kamakura-bori pens is ebonite, and on top of that are applied layers of urushi in different colours, so that after it has been carved, the underlying colours show through as rings of the dimples. A fascinating effect, to say the least. As if they needed even more challenging ways to execute the dots, some craftsmen lumped four dimples into a square and arranged the squares in a checkerboard pattern, or created other arresting designs with various arrangements. However, these patterns are much rarer than the diagonally spaced, allover design that we find most prevalent.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF1857_zps5a2fa071.jpg

There is another group of carved urushi pen with landscape or animal motifs produced around 1950 or so, but it would fall outside the scope of this article. Jim Mamoulides has recently posted a photograph he made of two such ‘pictorial’ pens on this forum: here.

As far as I can tell, Kamakura-bori pens have been made in Japan since 1940 or even earlier. A lack of documentation (in English, at least) has made it difficult to pinpoint the year or the workshops where the pens were made. Even the Lambrou/Sunami book ‘Fountain Pens of Japan’ does not shed too much light on this subject. One thing we can tell for sure, that only small workshops such as Ban-ei and Yotsubishi would undertake the task of producing these pens. None of the Big Three- Pilot, Platinum, Sailor- seemed interested to have it in their catalogues, probably due to the handmade nature of the Kamakura-bori’s manufacture. One thing I’d like to point out is, that I have noticed on the earlier1950’s to 70’s pens, the carved marks are smaller and seem better executed. It would certainly take more concentrated efforts to carve smaller dots neatly than big ones, so did the artisans become lazier in the ensuing years? OK, I am probably nitpicking here.

True to the pedigree of such pens, almost all of them employ the Japanese eyedropper system for filling ink, except for a few recent Danitrio’s, that is. My Danitrio Kama-nuri Octogonal pen and the Takumi model use cartridge/converter, but the larger Genkai and Midori Kama-nuri’s are still Japanese eyedropper filled. And perhaps because of the higher price of these pens, they were almost always fitted with 14k or 18k (as in the case of Danitrio) nibs.

Here are some close-ups of fountain pens in my Kamakura-bori stable. First, two Yotsubishi from the late 1950’s. This company made some incredibly beautiful raden and maki-e pens in its heyday, and managed to produce some well executed Kamakura-bori’s as well. They ceased making pens in 1965. One of my pens has a flexy, large #5 Lifetime nib with their four-diamond logo engraved on it. In fact, you will notice the same logo on the clips of the pens. The nibs were mounted on black urushi-ed sections, as in most older Kamakura-bori pens. These two are medium sized pens with a closed length of around 13.8 cm.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3482_zpsqwwgsbvq.jpg

Probably of the same vintage as the Yotsubishi’s, these checkerboard patterned Kamakura-bori’s exhibit the same finesse and awe factor as the former, if not more. No name or mark of manufacture is found on these pens, so their origins would remain a mystery. Interestingly, three colour layers (yellow, vermillion and burgundy) of urushi have been applied instead of two, as in most other cases. With the black base colour also showing through, you see a tantalizing rainbow effect that is just breathtaking. The delicate dimples were carved so closely together and with such precision, that they have transformed the pens (for me anyway) from mere utilitarian writing instruments into valuable works of art.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3473_zpsyemua2b4.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/KamakuraBori1-2_zps049dc8de.jpg

Two Ban-ei Kamakura-bori pens of slightly different vintage- the one on the left was made about 1970, and the one on the right a more recent 1990’s product. Ban-ei was a famed Tokyo workshop led by the legendary Eisuke Sakai who made urushi and maki-e fountain pens from the 1950’s to early 2000’s, including the two illustrated here. The girth of these pens (15mm diameter around the barrel) are much fatter than those on earlier offerings, sort of in the range of a MB149. The Ban-ei nibs were made by the nibmeister Ginjiro Kabutogi before 1997; after his death, his son would take over his job. The lighter coloured pen on the left is fitted with a very large #60 nibs etched with the number 4622- GK’s JIS registered number. It feels soft, but I have not inked it yet to see how it would write.

Most of us who are familiar with Japanese pens should know that Danitrio’s boss, Bernard Lyn, went to Tokyo in the 1990’s to commission a number of Ban-ei pens from E. Sakai. 200 Kamakura-bori’s were produced as a result, each bearing the workshop’s name in Kanji and the edition number on the gold cap ring. Other than that, the Ban-ei and Danitrio pens look exactly the same. Perhaps it was this initial encounter that inspired Mr. Lyn to produce Danitrio’s own Kama-nuri pens a few years back.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3474_zpswrafy1y6.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3479_zpsubbrugwt.jpg

Just when we thought Kamakura-bori pens have faded into history a few years ago, Danitrio unveiled a limited number of carved pens, covering such models as Genkai, Shu-Genkai, Mikado, Takumi, and Hakkaku (Octogonal). However, to distinguish these pens from traditional Kamakura-bori’s, Danitrio called them ‘Kama-nuri’. Dimples were still carved all over the cap and barrel surface, but their urushi treatment- Roiro-migaki and Tamenuri- were the new things. My Danitrio Hakkaku, being an eight-sided and Tamenuri painted pen, shows a visible lightening of the tone on the raised edges not unlike any of the brand’s and Nakaya’s straight ahead Aka-Tamenuri offerings. Therefore extra procedures are required to make one of these pens, making it that much more labour intensive. The section was also coated Tamenurically (I have just invented a new word), and the pen’s nuri artisan, Kazushi Kaneda, has signed his name at the barrel’s end- a practice unheard of in older Kamakura-bori pens. But I would say one of the highlights of the pen is the 18k stub nib I chose, since you won’t find that on any of the older Japanese pens. It is soft and responsive, capable of creating strokes of varying widths.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3485_zpshylhaz0d.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3425_zpscblphnlk.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF3487_zpsiyxnewh6.jpg

With the escalation of labour costs and a shortage of skilled artisans, the future of Kamakura-bori pens does not look promising at all. One only needs to look at the manufacturing lull after the last Kamakura-bori left the Ban-ei workshop some 20 years ago. In addition to the Danitrio offerings I have just mentioned, I could only find one other modern case when this kind of pen was attempted commercially. A few years back, using a favourite pen owned by the famous writer Shotaro Ikenami as prototype, Tasu-Ichi Tokyo reproduced the Kamakura-bori pen in a very small limited edition. It is cartridge-filled and priced at 320,000 Japanese yen. http://tasu1.tokyo/project_01/

The more enterprising minded among us might raise a legitimate question- Why not use machine or computer technology to carve those dimples, now that we have the means? This way, they will be cheaper to produce and made more accessible. Well, the resultant product with the cold, flawless array of indentations won’t be the same Kamakura-bori pens we know after all, will it?

Edited by mchenart

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mchenart

• Nikolaos

• jar

• visvamitra

Thaank you ever so much for such an exhaustive, and highly instructive, review.

Superbe photos, and a stunning collection. How jealous can I be? I will never confess. :lol:

Congratulations!

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Aha! I was wondering why these looked so different from the Kamakura-Bori laquerware I see when I visit Kamakura. Now I know.

Great looking pens!

Thanks.

Michael, thank you so much for this fantastic presentation of your Kamakura bori pens. Your incredible photography does the pens justice, but luckily, I was fortunate enough to see most of them in my recent visits to Taiwan. I had no idea about the Danitrio pen and I got to say it's a looker ! Now if I may shed a ray of knowledge here, Platinum made Kamakura bori pens back in the 1960s-70s. They made at least two versions , a vermilion and a black one.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/post-1010-1224343765.jpg

I no longer have this pen, but if i had to compare it with the Ban-ei or Yotubisi pens , I would say it was sub par.

NIkolaos

Stunning Pens, Thank you for sharing these pictures and your knowledge with us. That last pen is beyond stunning!

A great overview and valuable post. I have been looking for the right pen to add to my collection. The Dani hakkaku have wonderful cap and barrel ends I would never have expected.

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this post together. It really shows tour passion for this art form.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Such an incredibly detailed write-up with gorgeous illustrative shots! It's amazing to see what digging a few (okay, many and precise) holes can do to the feel of a pen. If I tried this I can safely say all my indentations would be of different sizes and misaligned.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

Michael, thank you so much for this fantastic presentation of your Kamakura bori pens. Your incredible photography does the pens justice, but luckily, I was fortunate enough to see most of them in my recent visits to Taiwan. I had no idea about the Danitrio pen and I got to say it's a looker ! Now if I may shed a ray of knowledge here, Platinum made Kamakura bori pens back in the 1960s-70s. They made at least two versions , a vermilion and a black one.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/nikolaos_photos/post-1010-1224343765.jpg

I no longer have this pen, but if i had to compare it with the Ban-ei or Yotubisi pens , I would say it was sub par.

NIkolaos

Yotubishi was the premier small maker of short run decorative pens in the 1950s. From the several several I own, very high quality. If oyu see any for sale, get 'em. They are not being made any longer and you may never see the pen you passed on again.

Platinum's main line of business was not high-end pens. However, they did make some stellar makie. The model shown was more late 1960s style. Traditional kamakura bori may no longer have been as stylish to the Platinum market. Stylistically, this is a very different pen.

Personally, the bori with unusual geometries of cuts look better although my first bori was a huuuuge traditional design Yotubisi. Wish I had not traded it.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks everybody for your kind words. Since I could not find too much information on Kamakura-bori pens, I hope this thread would arouse some discussion and perhaps unearth a few rare specimens that are hidden somewhere.

NIkolaos

Nikolaos, I forgot to thank you for the wonderful gift of a Kamakura-bori pen, you know which one! As for the Platinum pen you showed, I am not sure if it could be called Kamakura-bori, if by definition it has to be carved and not just sanded down. Was it advertised as a K pen, do you know?

Such an incredibly detailed write-up with gorgeous illustrative shots! It's amazing to see what digging a few (okay, many and precise) holes can do to the feel of a pen. If I tried this I can safely say all my indentations would be of different sizes and misaligned.

koofle, I remember seeing a 'practising' pen belonging to one of the aforementioned brands that had been worked on by a novice, and I can tell you it wasn't a pretty sight. Doing it right would obviously take long years of apprenticeship and hard work. But I know you are artistically inclined. Therefore if you so desire, you should attempt 'art' rather than 'craft'. Sometimes there is beauty in misalignments and chaos. Rigth on!

Stan, would you like to share some of your unusual Kamakura-bori finds here? Thanks.

You are very welcome Michael ;)

I thought about the Platinum "kamakura-bori" further after posting above, and while there's a slight tactile feel on the pen, it's not carved, but sanded to expose the urushi layers. I guess it could be considered an effort to replicating a Kamakura-bori effect, but calling it Kamakura-bori is probably wrong.

NIkolaos

You are very welcome Michael ;)

I thought about the Platinum "kamakura-bori" further after posting above, and while there's a slight tactile feel on the pen, it's not carved, but sanded to expose the urushi layers. I guess it could be considered an effort to replicating a Kamakura-bori effect, but calling it Kamakura-bori is probably wrong.

NIkolaos

Hi Nikolaos, I think that no matter what it is called, the Platinum pen is still quite charming, but I have a hunch that the polishing is done by machine and not by hand.

Thank you for a truly informative post - the background and photographs really give life to this unusual (and beautiful) technique.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thanks for a wonderful post. I had never seen a pen with this sort of decoration until almost a year ago when I was visiting Dromgoole's in Houston. There I was shown a Danitrio Genkai eyedropper with the red Kama-nuri finish:

http://i.imgur.com/LpnVXqK.jpg

This pen proved irresistible, and I later had its broad #8 nib ground to an oblique by Michael Masuyama. Photographs, as with so many of these decorative Japanese techniques, do not do these pens justice.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks for a wonderful post. I had never seen a pen with this sort of decoration until almost a year ago when I was visiting Dromgoole's in Houston. There I was shown a Danitrio Genkai eyedropper with the red Kama-nuri finish:

http://i.imgur.com/LpnVXqK.jpg

This pen proved irresistible, and I later had its broad #8 nib ground to an oblique by Michael Masuyama. Photographs, as with so many of these decorative Japanese techniques, do not do these pens justice.

Hi jmccarty3, Your Genkai Kama-nuri is a stunner! When I saw two at T.O. Lee's store in Taipei, I almost contemplated buying one, but on my second visit there, both were gone. But I am happy to get the Hakkaku.