• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• ReadyFireAim

• praxim

• PaulS

I assume you have a large sheet of paper to write things down. B)

I only have a few Waterman pens, and most of them are small. One that was one of the first pens I restored, and really writes well is a Commando. It's got a nice feel and balance to it, too. One day, I'll get a larger variety of full-size pens.

Of the small ones I have, I'm partial to a Lady Patricia pen that is just wonderful, and a 3V with a Green nib on it.

what era? what size? what writing characteristics?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I am happy with all of my vintage Watermans, meaning pre-1940, and with some more recent ones now out of production. Work out answers to ink-syringe's questions and count your money.

Those ripple 94s are pretty. Among my old Watermans is a black 94 which writes beautifully.

X

Get a set of 20s. Black, red, mottled, and wood grain.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for in a pen, generally.

Start by reading Richard Binder's articles on the 52 and the 7. Use Google to find them.

If you can swing the prices, I would recommend the model 7 as a clear way to get into vintage Waterman pens. Classic Red Ripple ebonite bodies that are easily serviced. The color coded nib scheme means that you can have a reasonable idea of how the pen will write before buying.

For a more exciting way to spend a lot of money, well preserved Patricians are quite special.

A careful shopper can get all of the performance of Waterman's ultra-flex nibs at a great value if you seek out the tiny 52 1/2v. Be warned, while Waterman has a reputation for flex, there seem to be a lot more nails than noodles out there.

• 1 month later...

Waterman 94 Ripples are my favorites ...

Beautiful!

I know the 2nd one is called olive ripple and the last one is red.

What is the top and 3rd color called?

(I'm thinking pink for the 1st and maybe blue or green ripple for the third)

Were there any other colors offered in ripple?

BTW...That pic. is now my Macbook start page :wub:

EDIT...

I found out they are Rose & Blue ripple...Very nice!

Edited by Bordeaux146

• 2 weeks later...

Half of all my pens are Watermans, 3 from the 1930s, the bulk from pre 1930

I think that the plain black 52 is a good way to start. They are the most common so you can choose what you want to spend by looking for one in great condition, or if you want to spend less, one that is 'worn but loved" condition. Decide if you want flex or not. if you want to see what flex is all about, get a flexy one and try it out. One nice thing about this type of pen is that if you want to get rid of it, you can easily resell it.

With a few years of Waterman experience I really like the 7 and something like the 54 or 55. The keyhole nib is nice to have but you will pay for it. The 'keyhole' dose'nt make it any better than a comperable nib, but I like to look at it.

Edited by pen tom

Get a set of 20s. Black, red, mottled, and wood grain.

Can we pin this response for future newbies?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 2 weeks later...

What is considered vintage? I have Some from the late 80's - early 90's, and was told that anything over 20 years is vintage. But, it does seem that way from the comments.

Thanks

What is considered vintage? I have Some from the late 80's - early 90's, and was told that anything over 20 years is vintage. But, it does seem that way from the comments.

Thanks

We have a thread on that. :)

Good luck ;)

X

if manners maketh man, then the nib maketh the pen - it really depends on whether you want to write with the thing, or simply ogle it in a cabinet. Probably the most sound advice is to go for the best you can afford, provided you like the looks of it, but do make sure it has a heavily flex nib - such things are an investment from the point of view that it will always hold a better re-sale value than a pen with a nail.

My favourite is an 0552 (Smooth) from the 1920s - writes beautifully, and although of little commercial value since it's missing its clip, I wouldn't part with the thing.

Edited by PaulS

Most of my old Watermans are the little ringtops, and for the most part they're nice writers. I've also managed to acquire nibs from various other pens (Watermans can sometimes be found as replacement nibs). I got my hands on a keyhole nib recently because the pen was in bits; the seller probably would have done better if he'd simply pulled the nib and feed and sold that.

I bought 2 Watermans since my last post.

The 52 wet noodle is very nice but too soft for me to be able to use at this point.

It goes from .3 to .5 under its own weight so I actually have to hold it UP (off the page)

The 52V is a superflex and perfect

It's like a Zebra-G only smooth.

My biggest flex on a vintage is only out to about 1mm.

The Desiderata will go twice that, easily.

Edited by Bordeaux146

I have quite a few older Waterman pens, and the model I like best for size and balance (and the colors) is the celluloid 94s.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I have a 55 with a flex nib. It is a great joy to write with.

I also have a small 32 with a semi-flex small nib, and have great fun using it.

I have trie a 52 with a flex nib that made me crazy about it, and craving to get the same. Unfortunately it was not for sale.

I think you mus try different sorts of nibs, and choose the one that suits you best. Anyhow, vintage Waterman are great.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo