• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Pichak

• AAAndrew

• rafapa

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you do a search, this topic has been repeatedly asked.

Capsule summary for me: don't count on it.

Most of the dip pens that I have tried, are WET compared to a fountain pen, so won't give a good representation. IOW the ink line from the dip pens, do not look like my fountain pen's ink line. This also depends on YOUR fountain pens, as all fountain pens do not write the same. You might get lucky and find one that is close.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

A glass pen (available from Papier Plume) is the best dip pen for testing inks. A smooth writer (best I've ever experienced) and easy to clean. Just run water over it.

Edited by PS104

The glass dip pens that I have tried were much WETTER than my fountain pens.

To the OP

Actually, what is the purpose of the ink testing?

Is it just for color or for testing for fountain pen use, because there is a BIG difference.

www.SFPenShow.com

I also use dip pen to test the ink. Because I am too lazy to clean the fountain pen after test. :lticaptd:

Yes, dip pen is too wet when compare to the fountain pen but after 4 or 5 stroke the wetness will be close to fountain pen and I can you it for "guideline".

The image compare fountain pen and dip pen ink test. In fact I should compare with the B nib fountain pen or use other dip pen nib that has finer line and less flex than this.

8f2153790ef5c39626bcb29def33c287.jpg

Esterbrook Dip-less Pen as it uses the same nib unit as the fountain pen. Or Morriset dip Pen. Regular dip pens, as was pointed out, are far wetter than a fountain Pen.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I use one of these custom made

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/rafaelpap/WhatsApp%20Image%202017-02-15%20at%2012.30.24_zps1q1rzrer.jpeg

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/rafaelpap/WhatsApp%20Image%202017-02-15%20at%2012.30.38_zpsweucrava.jpeg

They use Jowo #6 nibs. I find the are not as wet as glass dip pens. And they clean easily. Just unscrew the nib.

I was under the impression the testing of inks, also had to do with how it flows.

IMO the best reason to have a CC pen is how fast it cleans out.

Partially fill a cartridge with some, dip the pen into the ink sampler, and write. Take your rubber bulb, clean the nib section; takes 30 seconds. Your needle syringe can clean the cartridge in 15 seconds.

True you have to wait hours perhaps over night for the nib feed to completely drain into a paper towel but that is normal. Do shake your pen like an old fashioned thermometer.

The paper you test your ink on is important also. Cheaper paper will not give you much.

Look at what Sandy1 doses in ink reviews, use 3 or so, good papers, she has listed. That is affordable very good paper. One will have such paper for a couple of years before you use it up.

Like the good scotch, you only bring out when a very good friend shows up.

I paid an arm and a leg for paper of the year.... :D , but Diamine don't feather on it. :notworthy1:

I am a bit OCD, and use a big honking magnifying glass to check feathering/woolly line.

I even have my own feathering chart.

BEF- bare eyed feathering, seen sitting. :angry:

NEF- near eye feathering....bring the paper up to your eye. :unsure:

MagF- some feathering/woolly line seen under 1" or 1.6 cm thick magnifying glass. Good paper, good ink. Buy more. (No don't use your 10+ X loupe.....that's pushing it too far.)

NoMagF- no feathering or woolly line. Stockpile this paper and ink. Buy on the black market, smuggle it in. Give up Scotch, but buy this paper.

My 'paper of the year'....one I can afford to buy once a year, was Gmund 'Blanc Beige' 170g in creme. It was MagF, there was a slight woolly line. Still a great paper to write on. The weight does make a difference, to the quality of the feel.

I knew the 120g was the tad better, but at the last second, I pushed the heavy paper button. The 120g is NoMagF. Perfect paper. I will get some later this year.

(Stay away from feather champions 100&50% Cotton papers...nice to write on, some very, very nice....but they feather big time. I bought a single loose sheet at my B&M for E1.00 of Rossler 100g 100% cotton, that wrote so sinfully nice it would be illegal in Kansas in case someone wrote with it on Sunday. :crybaby: Feather champion. :headsmack: )

The Gmundwas cheaper than I thought. I had bought some sample sheets...two free and E0.84 a sheet. There was a discount so I only paid some E4.00 for 9 sheets.

It was E36 plus 4 in postage for 100 sheets. I had thought it was E50 for only 50 sheets so think I got over. :rolleyes:

I will admit to dithering for three years because of the cost. But one needs a 21-28 year old Single Malt and some really, really good paper.

Do ask them for their list of fountain pen friendly paper, in they mostly make Art Paper, which is not fountain pen friendly. No Art Paper is.

Gmund paper will get you into their com.

I made the mistake with another company of not asking for fountain pen friendly paper and got sent the Art Paper. :(

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I recommend the Jinaho 500. The cap posts very securely, yielding a long pen. Dip; write; dip; write; rinse; dry. Cost is about $4. Also converts easily to a fountain pen. :)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I recommend the Jinaho 500. The cap posts very securely, yielding a long pen. Dip; write; dip; write; rinse; dry. Cost is about $4.

Also converts easily to a fountain pen. :)

I like the last sentence :D

www.SFPenShow.com