The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Visconti Turquoise Not Great In Rembrandt

visconti turquoise rembrandt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2017 - 23:47

I've been using Visconti's Turquoise in my Rembrandt and the pen is struggling with it - it is as if the ink is too dry for the pen. I've tried different papers - and the feed just isn't very generous. I switched to Waterman's South Seas and the flow is excellent, and the pen is working fine.

Has anyone else had a problem with this ink in this pen?

Sponsored Content

#2 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:40

Hello Sandy,

I haven't had the problem with the pen per se; I've had it with Visconti inks. I'm having the same problem with their blue... I love the color, but its very viscous and very difficult to flush out of my pens.

With your observations, I'm beginning to wonder if the problem lies with the brand... like PR inks are thick, too.

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#3 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:25

Visconti Blue flowed nicely from my Aurora (!) pen, but it is somewhat slow to dry.

#4 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:05

Thanks fr that. I wrote a letter last night, and writing with the pen was much harder work than usual - and the results were not great. I'd cleaned the pen beforehand, but still no joy.

As soon as I put the Waterman stuff ink, the pen was back to its normal self. Proof that ink is one of the essential considerations when using pens.

#5 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:08

Thanks fr that. I wrote a letter last night, and writing with the pen was much harder work than usual - and the results were not great. I'd cleaned the pen beforehand, but still no joy.

As soon as I put the Waterman stuff ink, the pen was back to its normal self. Proof that ink is one of the essential considerations when using pens.

You're welcome. :)

There is a certain "marriage" involved with pens and inks... some inks will work great in some pens and lousy in others... and vice-versa.

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#6 evyxmsj

evyxmsj

Ink! All the colours!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 13:51

I've found my Rembrandt to have a poor (IMO) flow rate. Simply re-seating a cartridge or converter (briefly take off and then put back on again)---without tilting, forcing, shaking or anything like that---will dramatically improve ink flow for about 2 lines. It then goes dryer and dryer.

This example is from the weekly ink challenge:

2zgbwiv.jpg

#7 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:37

I've found my Rembrandt to have a poor (IMO) flow rate. Simply re-seating a cartridge or converter (briefly take off and then put back on again)---without tilting, forcing, shaking or anything like that---will dramatically improve ink flow for about 2 lines. It then goes dryer and dryer.

I bumped up this thread because it seems relevant to the van Gogh I just bought. The nib is great. The feed has plenty of buffer capacity. After filling the pen from a bottle, the first hour of writing is pure heaven. When using cartridges... different story. The feed is simply not receiving enough ink from the cartridge or the converter to really bring out the best qualities of my inks. In other words, the feed can't do its job properly. Thankfully my pen writes quite well and it's not too dry, but I'd like to see it wetter to get my inks to sheen a bit, and to get more shading. If anyone's found a solution for this, then please let me know.

#8 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 19:45

I use wetter inks ands there has not been a problem. Diamine Mediterranean blue works well, as does Waterman inks - also Montblanc Royal blue. My Cross pen can take the Visconti inks without a problem.

I have found that the magnetic caps attract dust and dirt which will get into the feed over time.

Give the feed a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and this will remove the particles. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, turquoise, rembrandt

Sponsored Content

|