Custom Orange Vs Noodler's Apache Sunset

sodul

I do not have an extensive collection of inks and the only orange I had was a sample of the Noodler's Apache Sunset. I love the looks of that ink but I primarily use my pens for taking notes and the Apache Sunset is just not practical for that. I'm also not a big fan of getting a huge bottle of ink that will end up being 90% unused, most inks don't last 10-20 years.

So I have Thornton's Red and Poky Yellow. I mixed about a good 1mL of Pocky Yellow then about 15 drops of Thornton's red. I kept on adding more red until I thought I had a nice readable color.

I'm very happy with the results, this ink is a dark orange, flows very nicely, dries relatively fast, and is not suffering any feathering or bleed through on Rhodia or Optik Paper (Black n' Red) and it even has a little bit of shading. I will likely do an other batch once I run out since I have years of Yellow and Red with my current usage.

post-129310-0-55235500-1487103799_thumb.jpg

post-129310-0-50371600-1487103759_thumb.jpg

post-129310-0-00002200-1487103772_thumb.jpg

post-129310-0-59620700-1487103779_thumb.jpg

post-129310-0-45891000-1487103789_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sodul

• Barkingpig

• EdeIstein88

As a lover of orange inks, I think you have made a very nice one. I have chased several that didn't turn out to be as nice as yours. I appreciate the fact that you can control the amount of red you are happy with for the ink.

Thanks for the comments, this was my very first attempt so it did turn out better than I expected. I use a 10mL syringe with a blunt tip to finely control the quantities.

Something I noticed tonight is that the ink is much darker, to the point of looking brown, but gets lighter as I write with it and is very orange after a full page of writing. The Thornton's Red does behaves like that, and tends to dry overnight in the nib and to be very dark on the first few lines. So there is definitely a consistency issue unfortunately. Next time I might try less red to see if I get less oxidation. I'll try to post new pictures in a few days to see how it evolves.

So far the ink seems to oxidize on the nib to a brown color over 24hs but that brown color seems to flush pretty quickly with a few lines of writing. This leads to shading on the whole paragraph, but definitely not a consistent ink. The ink color does seem stable once put to paper.

post-129310-0-19597100-1487237151_thumb.jpg

As promised an update after a few days to see how the ink settles.

post-129310-0-39916200-1487588175_thumb.jpg

The top sheet is from when I mixed the inked and the bottom part is 6 days later. The color got darker, or more red actually. Too much for my taste so I dumped the ink from my converter back into the sampler bottle and added 3mL more of Poky Yellow. I'm happy with the color again, but we will see how it fares in a few days.

Amazing what a few days can do to an ink mix. Even more amazing is that once on paper the color did not change as much as in the bottle or in the pen.