Pilot 78G+ = The New 78G?

truthpil

The 78g+ does cost more than the 78g in China as well, but the nib size is also a major factor in pricing.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Inkantadora

• Mongoosey

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An earlier message said it cost like a buck more, though, not $10 more...

I'd like a M but an F would be OK. Just like the blue color, and I haven't got a CON-40 yet. As fine as the Pilot F is, as much as I love needle nibs, I don't need a Pilot XF. I have one Sailor XF and never expect to find better.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about international availability, but the B stub nib version of the 78G+ is now finally for sale online in China. The BB was discontinued.

• 1 month later...

A demonstrator version of the Pilot 78G+ just started popping up on Taobao!

Here are the current colors:

TB2Z6i.camgSKJjSsphXXcy1VXa_!!2590283672

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked Pilot's official website (78G+ is not on the website) and hence communicated with various Taobao sellers, 78G+ is made in China, not Japan.

Edited by minddance

I have checked Pilot's official website (78G+ is not on the website) and hence communicated with various Taobao sellers, 78G+ is made in China, not Japan.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I believe this pen is made in China specifically for the Chinese market. Evidently "Japan" doesn't mean "Made in Japan."

The Chinese Pilot website does discuss the 78G+, so it's definitely not a knockoff:

http://www.pilotpen.com.cn/chanpinqingbao/1286.html

• 2 months later...

I just ordered 4 of the 78G+ in EF nib, one of each different color and 3 of the 78G+ in FINE nib, one in blue, one in red and one in black.

I just ordered 4 of the 78G+ in EF nib, one of each different color and 3 of the 78G+ in FINE nib, one in blue, one in red and one in black.

That's great! I haven't tried the EF or F nibs on the 78G+ yet, but need to replace one of my old 78G F pens because the nib got all scratchy.

Looking forward to your impressions about the pens once they arrive!

I really wonder how the 78G+ EF nib compares to the Penmanship EF nib. For the longest time I've always used the penmanship nib in my other Pilot pens whenever I need to write tiny, but it'd be nice to have a gold-colored nib to match the paint on the 78Gs.

In my opinion, these are the perfect student pens for more professional environments where you also want to match the pen color to the ink your need for note-taking, editing, etc. Mine saw tons of use in grad school and still get a work out when I'm preparing course materials.

• 10 months later...

Does it come in an italic?

B. $20 on aliexpress

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Can you eyedropper this pen?

Absolutely, but you'd really need to use some silicone grease on the section threads to prevent leakage. Adding an o-ring would also be a good idea.

Regarding the colors of these pens, let me warn everyone that the red one is not a bright pure red like it looks in the ads. It has kind of a pale salmon feel to it, just like the red Jinhao 992. This is the second time I thought I was buying a bright red pen to use for editing and ended up with a much tamer salmony color.

Absolutely, but you'd really need to use some silicone grease on the section threads to prevent leakage. Adding an o-ring would also be a good idea.

Regarding the colors of these pens, let me warn everyone that the red one is not a bright pure red like it looks in the ads. It has kind of a pale salmon feel to it, just like the red Jinhao 992. This is the second time I thought I was buying a bright red pen to use for editing and ended up with a much tamer salmony color.

Thank you for the feedback : )

That definitely makes the Demonstrator model even more attractive.

I have a 78g+ demonstrator on the way. It just passed customs and is now in the regular USPS transit. I'll pick up some O-rings, now to be prepared for when it arrives.

I don't mind lightweight pens. I do like the Noodler's Charlie, but I have a Pilot Metro with a Medium nib I love :happy: , though the Metro's shape is not ideal for me :glare: .

I tried the Pilot Explorer, which is a solid pen, but I didn't prefer it. I wished the section was a basic straight taper without that slight shelf: Just like the 79g+!

And I have a weak spot for demonstrators.

The idea of Eyedroppering this 78g+ is a revelation that is quite agreeable to say the least :puddle: .

If you like the 78G+ design in a demonstrato, you may also like the Penbbs 322 Mianmian. The body is nearly identical but it's made of slightly sturdier materials and uses regular #5 nibs so you have more nib options.

If you like the 78G+ design in a demonstrato, you may also like the Penbbs 322 Mianmian. The body is nearly identical but it's made of slightly sturdier materials and uses regular #5 nibs so you have more nib options.

I definitely would have considered it, but I'm not a fan of EF nibs.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the PenBBS nibs. PenBBS makes fantastic pens, but the nibs simply don't fit my preference.

The only nib finer than a European Medium that I've ever liked is the Pilot Metro Medium. I ordered a Medium 78g+, but even if that nib doesn't work out for some reason, I can swap my Metro Medium into it.

I also have a PIlot Custom 74-Medium on the way so, that's kind of my further upgrade.

----------------------

But I do appreciate the recommendation. I think it was a good call.

I think the PenBBS 322 looks fabulous, and I tell ya, if it was a Fine nib, I would have given it a try for that price, and being so lightweight, a wet/smooth ink could possibly do the trick (Pilot Blue Black smooths my pens out well).

----------------------

I am on the look out for a Medium, 0.6mm PenBBS nib when it comes out.

I definitely would have considered it, but I'm not a fan of EF nibs.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the PenBBS nibs. PenBBS makes fantastic pens, but the nibs simply don't fit my preference.

Nor am I. I don't like writing with EF nibs for many reasons and have plenty for the few situations in which I need them (such as writing notes in book margins). I also don't like the Penbbs nibs unless I make them tolerable by spreading the tines to the point that they give me a wet fine line. Even then, I almost always swap out the stock nibs with Nemosine or JoWo nibs. The Penbbs pens are just so wonderful, fit my hand just write, and look so beautiful that I use them quite frequently and have several (my eighth is in the mail). Instead of sticking those nice nibs in el-cheapo Jinhaos that make my hand ache because they are so heavy, it made a lot better sense for me to put them in Penbbs pens.

I think the PenBBS 322 looks fabulous, and I tell ya, if it was a Fine nib, I would have given it a try for that price, and being so lightweight, a wet/smooth ink could possibly do the trick (Pilot Blue Black smooths my pens out well).

Just last week the Penbbs 322 with "mini Fude" nib came out. I imagine those feel a little like architect nibs but at normal writing angle will yield a nice even 0.6-0.7mm line. I haven't tried one, but I'm using a Wing Sung mini Fude nib lately and I love the bold line it makes. Even then, the 322 will easily take any standard #5 nib lying around and probably some vintage "#2" nibs like on a Waterman 52.

I am on the look out for a Medium, 0.6mm PenBBS nib when it comes out.

Penbbs announced a few weeks back that they will release a regular Medium nib quite soon, supposedly by the end of the year. I'll be one of the first to grab a few and let others know how they write. The Pilot-style Wing Sung Medium nibs are generally butter smooth and have occupied my Pilot pens that came with Fine nibs haha.

Nor am I. I don't like writing with EF nibs for many reasons and have plenty for the few situations in which I need them (such as writing notes in book margins). I also don't like the Penbbs nibs unless I make them tolerable by spreading the tines to the point that they give me a wet fine line. Even then, I almost always swap out the stock nibs with Nemosine or JoWo nibs. The Penbbs pens are just so wonderful, fit my hand just write, and look so beautiful that I use them quite frequently and have several (my eighth is in the mail). Instead of sticking those nice nibs in el-cheapo Jinhaos that make my hand ache because they are so heavy, it made a lot better sense for me to put them in Penbbs pens.

Just last week the Penbbs 322 with "mini Fude" nib came out. I imagine those feel a little like architect nibs but at normal writing angle will yield a nice even 0.6-0.7mm line. I haven't tried one, but I'm using a Wing Sung mini Fude nib lately and I love the bold line it makes. Even then, the 322 will easily take any standard #5 nib lying around and probably some vintage "#2" nibs like on a Waterman 52.

Penbbs announced a few weeks back that they will release a regular Medium nib quite soon, supposedly by the end of the year. I'll be one of the first to grab a few and let others know how they write. The Pilot-style Wing Sung Medium nibs are generally butter smooth and have occupied my Pilot pens that came with Fine nibs haha.

Well that advent of PenBBS regular Medium nibs would move me to purchase one indeed.

That is good news. I appreciate you sharing that.

------------------------------

I myself will likely never use a European XF/Japanese Fine nib or anything finer. If you find one that works it's worth optimizing.

The Finest nibs i've preferred have been Japanese Mediums out of Pilot, and honestly, I don't find I need anything finer, and if I do I just use dryer ink that thins the line out...

Or I just cheat and use an Easyflow9000 or Uni SXR-600 hybrid ballpoint refills for that size lol.

------------------------------

Those jinhao's make my hand sore as well. I do like the x750, but I've found that is the maximum weight I can go with a pen, and even that is too heavy beyond a medium writing session.

My hand will reliably fatigue quickly with anything heavier.

Edited by Mongoosey

Though I do have a couple Fine Jowo's that could use a good home in a PenBBS. I might have to give them another try.

It's hit or with the Penbbs 308 whether a JoWo nib will fit or not, but they always fit on the 309 Piston-filler and 456 vacuum filler. :)

It's hit or with the Penbbs 308 whether a JoWo nib will fit or not, but they always fit on the 309 Piston-filler and 456 vacuum filler. :)

The 309's the one I'd consider.

The 456 does look impressive, especially in the clear demonstrator, but I have no need for the Vac filler.

That 309 purchase will be later on, but probably so since I've stocked up on some extra Jowo's to fill my recently ordered Ranga pens (I love an ebonite pen with a descent Medium Jowo).

...and I'm so eager to use this Pilot 78g+ because I love the way my Metro-M writes with Noodler's Heart of Darkness,

And if need be I can swap that Metro Medium into the 78g+ and finally have an HOD-pen that's decently comfortable to write with.

That darn shelf on the Metro just kills it for me, which is too bad because it's such a nice pen otherwise especially for the money.

That darn shelf on the Metro just kills it for me, which is too bad because it's such a nice pen otherwise especially for the money.

I couldn't agree more. That step down to the section was literally painful for me, so I eventually gave it away (after putting a different nib on it so I could keep the original haha). The original 78G was one of my first fountain pens and still has the absolute perfect section for me.