The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is Montegrappa Extra 1930 A Pistonfiller?

montegrappa extra 1930

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sfeccollector

Sfeccollector

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:47

hey Guys, 

i have a chance purchasing this nice pen, which in my opinion looks just amazing. BUT! 

i have read lost of information here on FPN and in other reviews.. some people state it is a pistonfiller, others that it uses the converter inside (and you can not take it out or swap it). If that is true in my opinion in this case converter is the worst filling technology for the price of the pen like that. It seems quite suspicious as when you turn the knob up till the end it still sturns, and would not stop. 

So which one is it

1. a pistonfiller

2. a hidden converter which you just cannot take out.  

Oh and by the way how is the Montegrappa customer service in comparison to other companies. I had super positive service from TWSBI, especially Lamy, and Diplomat. 

Thank you very much for information. 

Attached Images

• DSC_0277-800-Turtle-Brown.jpg
  • montegrappa-extra-1930-turtle-brown-uncapped.jpg

Edited by Sfeccollector, 14 February 2017 - 11:36.

Sincerely, 

Dennis 

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 00:39

I've never had to test Montegrappa's customer service.  Nothing's ever gone wrong with one of them that required service.  Sorry, I never tried to find out the answer to the piston/captive converter issue and I've sold both my Extra 1930 and the Extra so can't even check.  The two were different though, the Extra felt just like a piston filler but the Extra 1930 was racheted, there were clicks as you turned the nob.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 Sfeccollector

Sfeccollector

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 18:45

I've never had to test Montegrappa's customer service.  Nothing's ever gone wrong with one of them that required service.  Sorry, I never tried to find out the answer to the piston/captive converter issue and I've sold both my Extra 1930 and the Extra so can't even check.  The two were different though, the Extra felt just like a piston filler but the Extra 1930 was racheted, there were clicks as you turned the nob.

Thank you very much for your opinion Jar! Really appreciate that!

Sincerely, 

Dennis 

#4 Babangita

Babangita

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2017 - 23:42

I have the extra 1930 in green marble. 

It is far from transparent, but when turned against bright light one can see a regular piston mechanism, its position and the ink level.

In other words at least in my case, it is for sure a nice regular piston filler and it stops at both sides (clockwise and counterclockwise) when turned to the end.

One more thing, I have the 2nd gen model, holding quite a bit of ink.

I have no idea how you may check that but beware, there were complaints with the first gen as it held a minimal quantity of ink. Perhaps that it is the one with the nowadays sometimes called "captive converter"?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you bro'!

Edited by Babangita, 17 February 2017 - 23:45.

Current modern daily users: Aurora 88 modern; GvFC Classic, Montegrappa Reminiscence, Nettuno Superba, Omas AM87 orange, S.T.Dupont D-Line black lacquer, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Iride + a few good Japanese pens as the PG and the 3776.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, extra 1930

Sponsored Content

|