Montblanc 149 Flex Nibs

dizzyui

Hi, I am considering gifting myself a 149 for my law school graduation.

After doing a bit research on the forum, instead of getting a new one directly from MB boutique, i decided to put my hand on a vintage one.

Thanks for the useful Mb149 Dating information and helpful FPN members, i am aware that nibs produced in different time perform differently in terms of flex.

Can anyone please rank the following nibs in term of flex for me please?

18C Tri Tone

14C Tri Tone

14C Bi Tone

14K Bi Tone

18K Bi Tone

18K Tri Tone

From my reading in the forum, seems that 14C/K Nib have the most flex, is it true?

Also, I have the opportunity to get the following MB149 with 14C Tri Tone Fine Nibs, can someone suggest its flexibility?

Thanks in advance,

Yui

post-134784-0-77397600-1487038233_thumb.jpg

Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog 2016 Limited Edition 888 - M -> EF -> B

Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Arco Brown - MagicFlex

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 - F, BB, OBB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• thygreyt

• dizzyui

• PJeffreys

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no guarantee of flex with any 149 nib just based on color and metal. That can be a frustr5part and one reason to buy a used pen from a place like FPN where you can see writing samples and ask questions. I have had maybe 20 - 25 149 #9 nibs and only 2 or 3 were what I wold call flexible. Several were springy or semiflex.

But to answer your question, and make the search a little easier...

#1 14C tri-tone

#2 18C tri-tone

#3 14C bi-tone

None of the other nibs have ever offered me flex or really evendors spring.

Your best bet is to find an EF with long tines, not terribly easy but doable.

I sold a 14C tri-tone EF from the 1960s recently. I only let.it go as I found a similar nib in a customnpen in like more.

Good luck in the hunt. It is worth the effort once you find the right pen. I love older 149s up through the late 1970s.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have a 149 with solid ebonite feed 14c by color. It's a... Semi flex at best. In my limited experience with flex I'd say it has as much line variation as my noodler's while the feel is otherworldly different.

Do you find the semi flex nib practical for daily use?

There is no guarantee of flex with any 149 nib just based on color and metal. That can be a frustr5part and one reason to buy a used pen from a place like FPN where you can see writing samples and ask questions. I have had maybe 20 - 25 149 #9 nibs and only 2 or 3 were what I wold call flexible. Several were springy or semiflex.

But to answer your question, and make the search a little easier...

#1 14C tri-tone

#2 18C tri-tone

#3 14C bi-tone

None of the other nibs have ever offered me flex or really evendors spring.

Your best bet is to find an EF with long tines, not terribly easy but doable.

I sold a 14C tri-tone EF from the 1960s recently. I only let.it go as I found a similar nib in a customnpen in like more.

Good luck in the hunt. It is worth the effort once you find the right pen. I love older 149s up through the late 1970s.

Your generous info helped me narrowed down my search area a lot.

Can you share more details regarding Springy, Semi-Flex and Full-Flex nibs?Do the line variations between those nibs significantly different (photos are highly appreciated)

It seems like the chance of finding a semi-flex is much higher than a full-flex one. In what price range would you suggest for a good condition one?

Thanks in advance,

Yui

I do not have much experience with celluloid 149s in particular but I do have with celluloid 146s, 144s, 142s and resin 146s, 149s. What I can tell is Montblanc nibs back in the 1950s when their celluloid line had been in production offer very nice line variation. Sometimes you can find those nibs on resin pens for various reasons, but in general, if you are buying a celluloid MB with its original nib, chances are you will experience springiness and in cases, true vintage flex. Downside: well, celluloid MBs are quite pricey, especially a silver ring 149, but hey, after all these years, finally grabbing your diploma and walking away like a boss is a moment you might want to live to the fullest.

Congratulations from a fellow lawyer

Edited by ImQuagmire

Hello:

The 14C Bitone nib is probably similar to 14C Tritone and a bit more flex than 18C. But you need a writting proof because Montblanc made different grades of flex for best user's choice.

Regards.

This early sixties 149 is rather soft and flexy, i think the nib and feed is the same as on the celluloid 149, and it´s by far the the most enjoyable 149 nib i´ve got.

fpn_1487063638__dpp_19491_copy.jpg

fpn_1487063652__dpp_19399_copy.jpg

This early sixties 149 is rather soft and flexy, i think the nib and feed is the same as on the celluloid 149, and it´s by far the the most enjoyable 149 nib i´ve got.

fpn_1487063638__dpp_19491_copy.jpg

fpn_1487063652__dpp_19399_copy.jpg

Yes, this is the feed they used from about 1956 to 1964 (or so), with resin taking over for celluloid in 1958-59. This would be s great target, but pens like your tend to fetch strong prices as they write a lot like the celluloid 149s at a much lower cost.

Hi Yui. There is no concensus definition of flex, semi-flex, springy, etc. Some folks can write 10 paragraphs in a post to try and give the impression the subject is all sorted, but really it is not. I can only answer for me so please weigh my responses with other evidence you may find.

Flex allows the tines to spread without much pressure. The feed can keep up with the spreading of the tines so the line is able to go from thin to thick and back at your command. The big thing for me is how fast the tines snap back into place once you let up on the nib. If you can draw a line alternating pressure and release and the line looks like slightly pointy pearls on a string you have good snap back and thus flex.

Semiflex is similar to flex except I find it takes more pressure to spread the tines and snap back is not as fast. Your line looks more like a line of peanuts in the shell.

Springy means you can apply pressure and the tines spread out somewhat and may or may not snap back quickly. You need to apply a bit more pressure than the flexy nibs. I liken it to a shock absorber on a car. It gives you a sense of cushion. You can still get some variation, but the line will just look like wiggles.

Of course, then you have soft and nail as the remaining two general categories. All the while it takes more pressure to spread the tines. At some point you are just risking damaging the nib.

Edited by zaddick

A good condition 149 in resin from the early 1960s is probably in the $800 to $1000 range now. A little later in the 1960s in great condition in the $700 range. In good condition maybe $500 to $600. Condition, nib width, and flexibility of the nib will determine where you might be in the ranges.

I have sold some EF and B width late 1960s pens in excellent working condition (professional restoration, but not fully polished up to remove any signs of use) in the $750 range.

You might get lucky and find one in the wild for less or even eBay. Just be careful of places like eBay as there can be a lot of hidden problems and you cannot really gets parts for the pens. I have bought a lot of pens and they often have issues you cannot see in the photos like barrel cracks, busted pistons, bad Poston seals that leak, cap lip cracks, etc. Sometimes that $350 bargain is anything but. Proceed slowly and you will sniff out a good deal in time.

Edited by zaddick

I do not have much experience with celluloid 149s in particular but I do have with celluloid 146s, 144s, 142s and resin 146s, 149s. What I can tell is Montblanc nibs back in the 1950s when their celluloid line had been in production offer very nice line variation. Sometimes you can find those nibs on resin pens for various reasons, but in general, if you are buying a celluloid MB with its original nib, chances are you will experience springiness and in cases, true vintage flex. Downside: well, celluloid MBs are quite pricey, especially a silver ring 149, but hey, after all these years, finally grabbing your diploma and walking away like a boss is a moment you might want to live to the fullest.

Congratulations from a fellow lawyer

if I am lucky enough to find a great condition one with reasonable price, i will definitely more than happy to own one.

Hello:

The 14C Bitone nib is probably similar to 14C Tritone and a bit more flex than 18C. But you need a writting proof because Montblanc made different grades of flex for best user's choice.

Regards.

I personally favor the tri-tone nibs more, so my best bet will be a 14C Tritone vintage one. Note taken: Always ask for a writing sample before purchase.

You have a nice pen and the line variation is gorgeous. This is exactly the reason I prefer a vintage one than a modern one.

A good condition 149 in resin from the early 1960s is probably in the $800 to $1000 range now. A little later in the 1960s in great condition in the $700 range. In good condition maybe $500 to $600. Condition, nib width, and flexibility of the nib will determine where you might be in the ranges.

I have sold some EF and B width late 1960s pens in excellent working condition (professional restoration, but not fully polished up to remove any signs of use) in the $750 range.

You might get lucky and find one in the wild for less or even eBay. Just be careful of places like eBay as there can be a lot of hidden problems and you cannot really gets parts for the pens. I have bought a lot of pens and they often have issues you cannot see in the photos like barrel cracks, busted pistons, bad Poston seals that leak, cap lip cracks, etc. Sometimes that $350 bargain is anything but. Proceed slowly and you will sniff out a good deal in time.

Thanks for the informative description, your professional experience really help me a lot.

Meanwhile, I will take your advice to be patient until I find the right pen.

Thanks in advance,

Yui

There is more than one way to get flex on a 149 :)

fpn_1380723802__mb149ef.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Dear All,

I joined the network 2 minutes ago! I would like to ask your advice, in the context of the MB 149 flex nib discussion, please

I have a modern MB 149 with a medium nib, and although it writes very smoothly, I do not find it enjoyable to use. The writing is not distinct, and when I write quickly it becomes untidy. Overall, with my writing style, it is unexciting. From the discussion, and similar debates elsewhere, it looks as though a flex or semi-flex nib would be much better because of the line variation. Alternatively, and easier from a point of view of purchasing, perhaps a different MB nib would be better? Would you advise a MB 'OM' nib instead, for example?

Please would you advise on relative merits of going for a different modern MB nib, or trying to find an old 149 with a flex or semi-flex nib? The pen will be used every-day for writing on different types of paper, not always the best quality paper, and, in general my writing is relatively small.

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Paul

Paul- your cheapest option and safest way to get line variation is to have a nibsmith stub your nib. This gives you plenty of variation and you can still write fast and smoothly. No need to chase felx.

I called it semi flex for the tine spread is not enormous, and snapback is not instsntaneous.

Daily use? It's a very subjective questions. What it is for my may not be for you. Either way, yes I have used the pen as part of my daily rotation and when journaling I have written up to 10 pages a5 back and forth without hickup. I have a light hand so line variation is only when desired and it's smooth and easy to do so.

Hello:

Another way to get flex is to make larger vent hole, two or three times greater in diameter.

Regards.

There is more than one way to get flex on a 149 :)

fpn_1380723802__mb149ef.jpg

If you hate smashing your nib into the page, B nibs and larger will give you line variation thanks to the stubbed shape.

I agree with GP on this line variation discussion. None of my MB nibs are "Spencerian" in nature and I get the greatest line variation from stub-type nibs.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Many thanks for your replies/advice.

Is it possible to write small text with stubbed nibs please? Does it work to stub an F or EF nib? Thank you.

Cheers,

Paul

I can only speak for larger stubs, but YES. Look through the photos in the OBBB thread to see graph paper in use by the largest nibs out there. Multiple writing samples in there by various owners in sizes ranging from EF to BBB/OBBB so you can get a feel.