• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Earthdawn

• zchen

• Feanaaro

• welcmhm

Magnifico, it does not get any better, thanks for sharing!! And the ink is?

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Just preordered one from Dan Smith. Who can resist an Italian flex nib !? And now, just learned from this thread that a red pen is to follow . . . ‼️

Hi

How does the nib compare to an OMAS Extra Flessible nib or the pilot FA nib in terms of flex experience and smoothness?

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Wow, this is a must have. Where are you guys pre ordering these beauties? Is the new aurora blue-black ink coming out at the same time?

I just got to test this at Aurora's table at LA Pen Show, it is an absolute must have for me now.

Were they available for sale in LA?

Can anyone comment as to the comparison between the forthcoming Aurora flex nib and the Wahl Eversharp Modern Decoband? I was able to try the Wahl Eversharp at the LA Pen Show and was amazed at how smooth it is when not flexed, though it might be a bit large for me. Sadly, Aurora was not set up by the time I had to leave.

Were they available for sale in LA?

No, I believe the distributor said available at retailers early March.

Edited by zchen

Here were my impressions (that I posted elsewhere as well...) of the pre-launch of the Aurora 88 with 'flex' nib at the LA Show:

I was able to test this pen on two separate occasions at the show. I was guardedly optimistic, but I feel that there is going to be a case of... overselling what the nib really is.
Upsides: nib is nice to look at, feels comfortable to write with (no catches, etc), and most notably had very good snap-back. For the most part, the feed kept up, and railroading was an issue only if you tried to race with the thing.
Downsides: flex is such a loose term, but this nib feels more like a step beyond a soft nib, with just a bit more splaying of the tines. Unless you get a grind, there is no needle line, just a European fine, maybe XF. The range is not dramatic, and I felt the nib was definitely saying "Don't push me too far." I think John Mottishaw's Spencerian treatments, especially on the Falcon nibs, go further.
However, this may be a harbinger of things to come, and be the potential beginning of new entries of nib making with more flexible characteristics. In this, I think it is a very positive move. I found the colors, even the ones beyond the initial two offerings, to be very underwhelming, certainly on a pen of this price point. There were also two metal-bodied pens, (possibly) silver- and gold-plated, that added a little heft and certainly a step up in looks. Again, I'm assuming these first iterations are a sensible way for the company to test a new area of development, and that is a very good thing.
As to whether someone would want to save up for this pen because of the flex , if it indeed goes for more than the $500 strata, which I am pretty certain it will (being an LE pen), you could get a far, far better nib for flex with that amount of money by going to a reputable vintage dealer and getting a nice Waterman or other gold nib from the true era of flexible nibs. This ain't that, that's for sure.
Regarding the question of this nib vs. the new W-E nib... They really are two different concept nibs, but certainly at this point, the W-E is a far more finished product, albeit in a large and more expensive pen as well. Again, not a noodle, but that Decoband writes like a dream and would be maximally suitable not for elaborate scripting (such as variants on Spencerian or Copperplate scripts), but in a very much more expressive handwriting from your own penmanship. And with the price difference between the two pens, you gat a LOT more pen - in style, materials, and execution - with the Wahl. But that is what we came here for! ;)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Ditto... To paraphrase what wrote in an other post

I went to the LA show for one main reason, to check the Aurora flexible nib. They Aurora people had all three colors with the flex nib inked with blue-black for everyone to try. It was good but I was not mesmerized. Don't get me wrong I love my Optimas and I would very much like to have a good flex nib on one of them. It was a semiflex nib with reasonble line variation and good recovery on the thick-thin transition. It missed couple of lines when I tried to go fast.
I did not feel comfortable to push it. For $600 I can get some great vintage pens with flex. Balances, Duofolds, Watermans. Plus I just don't need another basic color pen 88 to get the nib. I will wait to see if they they will sell it alone without the pen and if they will improve it and then we will see.

Can anyone be more precise about the width of the un-flexed line? How would it compare with a regular 14k Aurora EF?

I tried the Decoband once, just to see about the flex as it would be both too expensive and too large/heavy for me to use, and I wasn't impressed. The nib was soft(-ish) sure, but the un-flexed line was already so broad and wet (I don't understand why they started from their, very generous, F as a base, and used the EF only for the non-flex version... but I digress...) that the actual line variation effect was very disappointing.