Cross Century Ballpoint Mechanism Question

Bradley

I recently purchased a vintage made-in-USA Cross Century ballpoint pen, 14K plated. It is a beautiful pen, with original papers and box, etc., and appears never to have been used. The twist mechanism is problematic, in that there is too much "give" without the point properly retracting and protracting as it should. When I remove the cap, I find that the metal piece inside -- the metal "sleeve" into which the refill screws -- wants to unscrew itself from the body of the pen. (There are very wide threads, or grooves, which are visible on the outside of said sleeve, and there is a brownish lubricant which seems fine, not dried out at all.) If I twist the sleeve back into the body of the pen as securely as I can without unscrewing the refill, which will happen if I twist the sleeve with much force, the pen works perfectly fine -- for a short time. Then, when I twist the pen to protract the point, there will eventually be that "give" again, and the pen twists and twists without much movement of the point in either direction.

I realize I can send this in to Cross to be repaired (tightened), but I'd rather not go through all the hassle and am wondering is there is something I might do myself to correct this problem. I understand how the mechanism works, but I don't understand how to go about tightening the sleeve (which holds the refill) securely back into the body.

Thank you for your patience, and I welcome any advice you may have.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bradley

• pajaro

• Flippy

• NosmoKing

Sorry to hear about your new Cross pen. I've had an old Century that I sent to Cross for the same thing.

Took 5 weeks to get it back but it's good as new. I don't know how they fix it, but, if you send it back,

explain to them it has sentimental value and have them fix it, so they don' t just send you a newly made pen as a replacement.

I love Cross pens, by the way.

Edited by NosmoKing

Thank you for replying, NosmoKing. Good to know that Cross was able to fix your pen. I may have to send mine in, too. Best wishes --

Moderator PenHero: Any thoughts?

You are presumably going to have to tighten the nose piece that screws into the mechanism. To avoid scoring the nose piece, you might try one of the rubbery pads used to remove stubborn jar lids to grip the nose piece while screwing it into the mechanism.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you, Pajaro. The piece I'm referring to is only exposed if pulled out by the refill, so there really isn't anything to grip. If I'm very gentle with my twisting, the pen seems to work well enough. Thank you, though, for taking the time to reply.

If it has threads, it means it is probably natural to be screwed out. I would tighten the refill mechanism using the "right-tight" rule.

• 1 month later...

Moderator PenHero?