Help Noob Spend Amazon Gift Card!

DannyB

Hi Danny,

There you go... oranges and apples pulled it off again... don't forget to order a CON 70 converter for $7.19, to go with the pen... that's a super duper combo. :D

- Anthony

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DannyB

• Oranges and Apples

• TheRealMikeDr

• ParkerDuofold

For a first pen, I personally wouldn't go for a fine or soft fine on a pilot custom 74 or platinum 3776. A fine nib is going to be be quite fine. Go with medium or soft medium first.

"Oh deer."

Agree with ben.

The fine on a ballpoint or rollerball is often around .7. That's about a medium on the Pilot C74. Would suggest that over the Platinum 3776 for a first pen based on your writing specs.

Tipping size chart. Remember that it is the size of the tipping. You should add another 0.1-0.2mm in addition to the line width that it is actually going to produce.

https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

I haven't seen DannyB's handwriting but generally if you want to practice cursive, you should go as fine as the user is comfortable with because from my experience, a thicker point hides the flaws that the user is trying to fix. It's easier to see ones mistakes and correct them with a finer nib.

Tipping size chart. Remember that it is the size of the tipping. You should add another 0.1-0.2mm in addition to the line width that it is actually going to produce.

https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

I haven't seen DannyB's handwriting but generally if you want to practice cursive, you should go as fine as the user is comfortable with because from my experience, a thicker point hides the flaws that the user is trying to fix. It's easier to see ones mistakes and correct them with a finer nib.

I went searching around the house and found two "Pilot G2 Gel roller ball pens. One is fine point, 0.7mm. The other is extra fine, 0.5mm.

The .7mm fine was as wide as I would like in a fountain. Nothing wider. The .5mm extra had a fantastic line, but was extremely susceptible to toothiness of the junk mail envelope that I wrote on.

Using the chart, a Pilot med nib should result in a 0.6-0.7mm ink line, a med-fine 0.5 to 0.6mm line, and a fine nib 0.4 to 0.5mm line. Yes???

I went searching around the house and found two "Pilot G2 Gel roller ball pens. One is fine point, 0.7mm. The other is extra fine, 0.5mm.

The .7mm fine was as wide as I would like in a fountain. Nothing wider. The .5mm extra had a fantastic line, but was extremely susceptible to toothiness of the junk mail envelope that I wrote on.

Using the chart, a Pilot med nib should result in a 0.6-0.7mm ink line, a med-fine 0.5 to 0.6mm line, and a fine nib 0.4 to 0.5mm line. Yes???

A Pilot fine nib will run around .3; a fine-medium runs about .4 and a medium runs about .5. Hope this helps. :)

- Anthony

The fm Pilot nib may be perfect for you - it's what I have on my custom 74 (I have the sfm - the soft fine medium) and it's plenty fine. In fact it's a finer line than most Western fine nibs that I have. I think you may be limited in color choices if you go the fm or sfm route though - if that's important to you.

If you want a smooth experience most Japanese fine nibs may dissapoint as the smaller the nib the more likely you are to get some feedback. I've got a medium nib in one of my Pilot Metropolitans and it's a great writer. My wife has one too that she uses on a daily basis. Pilot makes some of the most reliable nibs from my experience.

I think the Pilot Custom 74 with SFM nib and a Con-70 converter would work well for you.

Add some bottled ink in your favorite color and you're set.

The fm Pilot nib may be perfect for you - it's what I have on my custom 74 (I have the sfm - the soft fine medium) and it's plenty fine. In fact it's a finer line than most Western fine nibs that I have. I think you may be limited in color choices if you go the fm or sfm route though - if that's important to you.

If you want a smooth experience most Japanese fine nibs may dissapoint as the smaller the nib the more likely you are to get some feedback. I've got a medium nib in one of my Pilot Metropolitans and it's a great writer. My wife has one too that she uses on a daily basis. Pilot makes some of the most reliable nibs from my experience.

I'm looking at the soft fine medium C74. The soft fine-medium limits colors??? I don't understand.

Hello!

If I were you, I wouldn't get any of them. Nah, I haven't heard many good things about those models. If I were you, I would grab a platinum 3776 century on Amazon. Some of them are directly sold by Amazon, so shipping will be quicker. :). Same applies for the Custom Heritage 74. Both are under 100 and are relatively easy to use. Amazon sells 3776 pens ridiculously low, because the list price is 176$

I'm looking at the soft fine medium C74. The soft fine-medium limits colors??? I don't understand.

I don't know too much about Japanese pens, but I wouldn't be surprised if little bit more exotic nibs like soft fine medium would limit colours of the pens you'll find.

Edit: Yup, Amazon is only Amazon, but the only colour they have with soft fine medium nib is black, either with silver trim or gold trim.

Edited by aeba

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

What point size allows you to see the open space in the letter e?

I always say that I learn from the answers to other people's questions. This is a very thoughtful observation, and a useful standard. Thank you for sharing it.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I took a writing sample of G-2s in a 0.38, 0.7, and 1.0mm nib sizes and a Pilot Custom 74 in a fine nib size. Seems like the G-2 in the 0.7mm is closest to the Pilot Custom 74 in a fine nib size.

Sorry, don't have a fine-medium on hand, but this should help with your size comparisons.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x232/JohnCruzNg/1487114179196-1049181345_zpsoh9edjsb.jpg

I took a writing sample of G-2s in a 0.38, 0.7, and 1.0mm nib sizes and a Pilot Custom 74 in a fine nib size. Seems like the G-2 in the 0.7mm is closest to the Pilot Custom 74 in a fine nib size.

Sorry, don't have a fine-medium on hand, but this should help with your size comparisons.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x232/JohnCruzNg/1487114179196-1049181345_zpsoh9edjsb.jpg

AO, you've out done yourself. Wow!! Thank you!!!

Folks,

Thank you all for all the comments and advice. You've given me a lot to chew on.

To give my self a little time and also provide a bit more time for further comments, I intend to order a pen this Thursday afternoon.

Again, thank you! Thank you all !!!

As a side note, AO, you deserve to buy yourself the C74 SMF!!!

Sound advice. Thank you. I'll start now with ballpoint!

Do you have a favorite online source for the notebooks and covers?

My cover was made for me by a friend, but if you search Amazon, eBay and probably etsy for "leather composition notebook cover" you will find a few good ones.

As for the composition books themselves, your best bet is ro look in places like Staples, Wal-Mart, dollar stores etc.

It's a rather hit or miss affair, so buy as Manny as you can when you find them!

It might be a good idea to buy one, take it out to your car and write in it to make sure it's good, and then go back and buy more.

From some of the photos I have seen here, some of you have more ink bottles than any 10 Office Depots or Staples!

What should I consider for my 1st bottle? Any different considerations for a second bottle??

You are mighty welcome. I currently have two Custom 74s actually. They are a joy to use. I have one in a fine and a broad.

Folks,

Thank you all for all the comments and advice. You've given me a lot to chew on.

To give my self a little time and also provide a bit more time for further comments, I intend to order a pen this Thursday afternoon.

There are so many inks to choose from. I wrote the sample in the picture above with Noodler's Black but the ink choice comes down to which type of paper I'm using. Noodler's Black provides great utility for me when writing on uncoated papers and Pilot Black I use for everything else. Those two just got more formal or business writings. But it depends on what you are looking for.

Perhaps a separate topic would be warranted.

For personal writing, pick a color and go exploring. The color choice in fountain pen inks was what made fountain pens a hobby for me.

From some of the photos I have seen here, some of you have more ink bottles than any 10 Office Depots or Staples!

What should I consider for my 1st bottle? Any different considerations for a second bottle??

Folks,

Congrats! Now you get to enter the "obsessively check tracking information" phase of the purchase cycle while waiting for the delivery. Be sure to check the shipping options - when ordering direct from Japan (even on Amazon) there are shipping options that will deliver the pen at radically different timeframes!

Regarding ink - everyone has their favourite which will likely be different than yours - however you'll need a good blue and Waterman Serenity Blue is a solid choice IMO.