Help Noob Spend Amazon Gift Card!

DannyB

Hello everyone!

I recieved a $100USD Amazon gift card. I'd like a new pen. I was forced to medically retire, so Im want to try my hand at journalling.

I havent used a fountain pen since high school. Back then, a good ole el-cheapo Shaffer with blue cartrides was the item of the day. I remember loving and hating those pens! :lol: In my adult life I carried Cross ink pens mainly. In 1992, I was given a blue and gold trim Parker as a Christmas gift. I carried it daily until Jan,01, 1999. I still have it. It writes better than any of the Cross pens I own. The point is, I take pride in caring for my pens.

Im aware of issues with paper, so that not part of the help I'm asking.

After reviewing this site and several others, I think I want a fine nib. Left to my own devices, here are 3 pens Im considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Expert-Golden-Fountain-S0951640/dp/B005NJOJNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487010522&sr=8-1&keywords=Waterman+Expert+Black+with+Golden+Trim%2C+Fountain+Pen+with+Fine+nib+and+Blue+ink+%28S0951640%29

https://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Hemisphere-Essential-Lacquer-Fountain/dp/B005PEH6GC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487010598&sr=8-1&keywords=Waterman+Hemisphere+Essential+Black+Lacquer+Gold+Trim+Fine+Point+Fountain+Pen+-+S0920610

https://www.amazon.com/Parker-Fountain-Lacquer-Refill-1931645/dp/B01M001FUH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487010686&sr=8-1&keywords=Parker+Fountain+Pen%2C+Black+Lacquer+Gold+Trim%2C+Fine+Nib

I think, the Waterman Expert may be more comfortable because the section (finger rest) is slightly larger than the Hemisphere. Will either of these actually write smoother with a fine nib than the Parker

The pens above are options and I'm open to suggestions! I want a balanced pen with a fluid, smooth flowing fine nib.

Please help me pick a pen from Amazon. I err to your collective expertise.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DannyB

• Oranges and Apples

• TheRealMikeDr

• ParkerDuofold

Of the three I've got the Hemisphere - it's a good writing pen. Fairly wet fine line that's smooth enough.

It is a small-ish pen - fairly thin.

At that price point I would likely look at the Platinum 3776 Century - https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-3776-CENTURY-Chartres-Blue/dp/B00B1N90W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487016179&sr=8-2&keywords=platinum+3776. The fine nib on the Waterman would match up better with a medium nib on the Platinum (the fine on the Platinum is pretty fine) - it's a gold nib and a great writer.

The other option for me would be the Pilot Custom 74 (the m nib on the pilot will be similar to the f nib on the Waterman) - https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Fontain-Custom-M-Nib-FKK-1000R-DL-M/dp/B001AX3T4A/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1487016355&sr=1-2&keywords=pilot+custom+74

Note that orders coming from Japan may take a while to show up - as in a month or so!

The Platinum #3776 Century for me too. Medium nib = western fine. It is a great pen. It does have a bit of feedback through the nib though like a pencil so I would not recommend if you like a smooth feel. Orherwise you can't go wrong with a TWSBI pen. Buy the Eco and spend the rest on other things. I don't think the TWSBI 580 is worth near double the cost. TWSBIS have German nibs which are very smooth.

The Platinum #3776 Century for me too. Medium nib = western fine. It is a great pen. It does have a bit of feedback through the nib though like a pencil so I would not recommend if you like a smooth feel. Orherwise you can't go wrong with a TWSBI pen. Buy the Eco and spend the rest on other things. I don't think the TWSBI 580 is worth near double the cost. TWSBIS have German nibs which are very smooth.

That's a good point - the Platinum isn't the smoothest experience.

I am a Parker pen collector, with more than sixty Parker fountain pens. Of your choices, I like the Waterman Hemisphere best, and the Parker IM least. The first generation Sheaffer cartridge "school" pens are still around. Those that survived are very good writers.

Soapy flush, and clean rinse, then dry thoroughly, before first ink.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

This would be my VERY FIRST choice... if you go this route, make sure you also order a Con70 converter and you'll have a lifelong winning combination. :)

Of your choices; I'd go with either one of the Waterman's. I've had two Hemispheres; one a perfect writer, the other, a frequent skipper. I LOVE my Pilot Custom 74 with a soft medium nib. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Thank you for the responses!

I am intrigued by the Pilot Custom 74. Do I want soft medium or soft fine nib? I want smooth and flowing, yet fine. It appears soft fine is the choice.

Again, than you all for taking the time to respond!

What point size do you like in ballpoints, rollerballs, pencils? What point size allows you to see the open space in the letter e?

That's a size to start with.

Edited by cattar

I am intrigued by the Pilot Custom 74. Do I want soft medium or soft fine nib? I want smooth and flowing, yet fine. It appears soft fine is the choice.

Hi Danny,

With either "soft" nib, the Custom 74 is a wet, silky smooth writer; as far as nib size choice- refer to cattar's post above.

But a general rule of thumb is if you write small and slow, go with a finer nib; if you write more boldly, (like me)- go with a medium. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I haven't had the best of luck with Waterman, for a little more you could get a Pelikan M205, or a parker Sonnet, and for something with a different aesthetic and for a little less a Faber Castell ambition in pearwood. You should also invest a little ($10-$15) in decent paper, it could make a big difference, for instance HP laserjet 32 lbs.

You could also spend more, an extra $60 could get you a Sailor Pro Gear, you won't believe how smooth the nib is...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Not a recommendation for a pen, but I'd like to offer one for your journal.

Composition notebooks made in Brazil are dirt cheap and very nice for use with a fountain pen.

They are made in other countries too (India, Vietnam, and even USA) but avoid these because the paper is no good.

Sometimes you will even find them mixed in a box, so you have to sort through to find the Brazilian ones.

I recently got a nice leather cover that fits standard composition books, and it makes for a very nice notebook that is very inexpensive to refill, especially around back to school time.

What point size do you like in ballpoints, rollerballs, pencils? What point size allows you to see the open space in the letter e?

That's a size to start with.

I tend to use fine point, when I have a smooth one, except for multiple copy forms. Then a medium.

I dont write real big nor real small. Medium and fine both have an open e.

To complicate the decision even more, over the years my cursive has become horrible as I write really, really fast. I'm going to force myself to slow down a bit, write with my arm and shoulder, not my fingers as I do now. I have to slow my cursive down, else no one can read my journal! What good is that? :lol:

Edited by DannyB

A pen that has a bit of tooth and feel would be ideal then. Go for a Platinum Century #3776 with medium nib. The slight resistance will make you slow down. It is a fairly fine line, reliable and the nib is lovely. It also has a special cap so you can use pigment and carbon inks without fear of dryout. Japanese vendors should have them for $60 or so.

Edited by matteob

To complicate the decision even more, over the years my cursive has become horrible as I write really, really fast. I'm going to force myself to slow down a bit, write with my arm and shoulder, not my fingers as I do now. I have to slow my cursive down, else no one can read my journal! What good is that? :lol:

For handwriting practice download the Seyes French ruled template here on FPN and print practice pages.

I also use Brazilian composition notebooks in an Oberon cover and am content that the paper is not archival.

Yes, I make smart Alec posts and facetious comments! :D

For handwriting practice download the Seyes French ruled template here on FPN and print practice pages.

I also use Brazilian composition notebooks in an Oberon cover and am content that the paper is not archival.

Sound advice. Thank you. I'll start now with ballpoint!

Do you have a favorite online source for the notebooks and covers?

Edited by DannyB

How about a Soft Fine-Medium Nib, it's the middle of road between them: https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Fontain-Custom-SF-Nib-FKK-1000R-B-SF/dp/B001AX9I1S/ref=sr_1_19?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1487016990&sr=1-19&keywords=pilot%2Bcustom%2B823&th=1

Welcome to the FPN by the way!

Edited by Oranges and Apples

I have both a Plot Custom 74, SFM nib, and a Platinum 3776 Yamanaka, F nib. I like them both, but I would get another C74 with SFM nib in a heartbeat. It is a smooth, light, easy writer, never gives me a lick of trouble, and every time I bring back into rotation I am so happy that I keep it in place WAY too long.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway