Wanderings Notebook Unboxing:

Vunter

Wanderings Notebook Unboxing:

I created another thread about a week ago just to get the discussion going on The Wanderings Travelers Notebook.  If you wish to read that thread you can find it over in this thread linked below.
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318689-travelersmidori-vs-wanderings-notebooks/

Let me first start out by saying that I am no way affiliated with The Wanderings Notebook nor have I been asked to do a review on the product.  The Wandering's Notebook can be found on the companies main site or on amazon.  I highly recommend ordering directly through the company, because the companies customer service is great and they ship through amazon as well.  If you signup for their newsletter prior to your purchase you get 10% off your first order as well.

Wanderersway (Homepage)
https://wanderersway.com/

Wanderings Notebook (Product Page)
https://wanderersway.com/products/the-wanderings-notebook

I decided to go with this notebook because I was on a budget and with everything you get with the product it's only $26.99 before shipping. Shipping is $5.95 in the US.  The notebook comes with 3 inserts totaling 90 pages and the paper quality seems very similar to Midori especially in terms of taking fountain pen ink.  The notebook is also compatible with Midori inserts so like Midori you can customize the notebook in any manner you choose.  Below are some pics I took when my package arrived.

View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com

I haven't had any experience with the Midori notebook so I can't really compare it to that other from what I've heard from the Midori Traveler's community.  The leather quality of the notebook feels great.  The leather strap attached to the elastic to keep the notebook closed is also a nice touch.  There are other brands that represent a similar look; however, I must say for the price you pay for the product you get I most definitely would with this notebook as oppose to other Traveler Notebook alternatives.  Evan the founder of the product communicates with his customers quite frequently so the customer service is outstanding.  The Wandering Notebook provides a great quality product to serve as an alternative to those who can't quite afford the Midori Traveler's Notebook.

If any of you have any questions I urge you to visit the product site I linked above or even ask Evan questions.  Their site is very informative and Evan is wonderful to deal with.  I haven't seen many people discuss the product so I thought this little overview would be a nice way to shed light on a great alternative product to the Midori Notebook.

Edited by Vunter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bogiesan

• Vunter

• jimhughes

• oldrifleman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this valuable contribution to the forum. It's a great feeling to receive and start a new notebook, and find a bargain at the same time. Bonus!

You mention the included filler paper quality. Perhaps you could post some pen/ink samples. You will eventually need to replace the fillers. I can recommend molie cahiers, especially if you can find them on sale in packs of two or three. You just trim them to fit--easy with a paper trimmer or a matte knife and suitable finger protection. You will also need a way to store your fillers as they are filled up. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Would you post a photo of the manufacturing or country of origin labels? I don't care where they'come from, that's capitalism and it's not the point of my question. Because this device looks exactly like at least five other products available on amazon, and each is privately labeled and repackaged by other OEM companies, I'm just curious if the original maker or the primary source can be tracked down.

Edited by bogiesan

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Really liked the look of these and the functionality of being able to use the closing band to hold my pen. I actually just ordered two of them. My daughter is a wandering artist and she will love this with the blank paper that came with it. I ordered three Midori grid refills to use in mine. Really looking forward to getting this!

My Notebook and extra inserts are on the way. I appreciate your review and look forward to my cover and extra inserts arriving. I , like Bogiesan , would greatly appreciate your posting of ink samples and various nibs to see what inks are working for you. If you would be so kind to specify the ink and nib used, as well as taking a photo of both sides of the paper for feathering and show through that would be a fantastic help. I , like you found Evan easy to work with and very customer oriented. Have an awesome week, Jim

My Notebook and extra inserts are on the way. I appreciate your review and look forward to my cover and extra inserts arriving. I , like Bogiesan , would greatly appreciate your posting of ink samples and various nibs to see what inks are working for you. If you would be so kind to specify the ink and nib used, as well as taking a photo of both sides of the paper for feathering and show through that would be a fantastic help. I , like you found Evan easy to work with and very customer oriented. Have an awesome week, Jim

Thanks for this valuable contribution to the forum. It's a great feeling to receive and start a new notebook, and find a bargain at the same time. Bonus!

You mention the included filler paper quality. Perhaps you could post some pen/ink samples. You will eventually need to replace the fillers. I can recommend molie cahiers, especially if you can find them on sale in packs of two or three. You just trim them to fit--easy with a paper trimmer or a matte knife and suitable finger protection. You will also need a way to store your fillers as they are filled up. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Would you post a photo of the manufacturing or country of origin labels? I don't care where they'come from, that's capitalism and it's not the point of my question. Because this device looks exactly like at least five other products available on amazon, and each is privately labeled and repackaged by other OEM companies, I'm just curious if the original maker or the primary source can be tracked down.

I'll do my best guys to get some samples of ink with different nib sizes on the paper so you guys get an idea of the paper quality; I am going to send Evan a message too to see where he sources the paper. Bear with me though since I only have a couple of different nib sizes and pens since I'm relatively new to the hobby. With the variation of pens I have though it should help. I have a couple of mailbags coming too so in the next few days I'll update the OP with all the paper sample info.

Manufacturing wise there was a sticker on the wrapper that it came in that said, "Made in China." I'm assuming that Evan has the material and company stamp made there. Another possibility is he has it made in China and then he brands the leather stamp himself. I'm willing to bet he as everything outsourced. Would I love it if it was entirely made in the USA; yes; however the price would easily skyrocket.

I inked up all my pens with different inks.  I hope the pen and ink samples are enough to give you guys an idea of what the paper would be like.  Apologies for the print handwriting.  I'm still practicing my cursive and I would have spent ages doing the same in cursive.  My letters to people look great, but then again I spend decent time on them.  On top of that, I plan on getting some other inserts as well.

View post on imgur.com
View post on imgur.com

Evan just got back to me as well and said the paper inserts are 90GSM.  He also talked about how he selected his supplier. Evan's quote below;

evan@wanderersway.com

When I selected my supplier in China it was one of my top priorities to partner with a company that I felt good about in terms of how they treat their people and how the product is made. They pay their people well, source raw materials ethically, and produce a truly high quality product. I’ll leave that last point up to your judgement as well, of course.

I’m not an “artisan” as it is so popular to be these days, but that was not my goal when I started Wanderings. I wanted to provide a truly quality product to people at a price that a normal person can afford, along with stellar customer service (my specialty and what I enjoy doing).

Our planet is a global civilization and I run a micro-global company. My products are designed in Canada, made in China, and sold around the world, and I like it that way.

Evan also referenced a more in-depth article/review over at Wellappointeddesk if anyone cares to give it look as well.
http://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2017/02/review-wanderings-travelers-notebook/

Edited by Vunter

Killer! Please drop back by the thread in a few weeks or months and let us know how you're getting along with your system. Congratulations on locating this item and thanks for telling us about it.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Thanks for all the great information on the Wanderings Notebook. It's great that the founder took the time to contact you and let you know about his company. Are the notebooks the same size as the Midori Traveller's full size notebooks?

How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?

Vincent Van Gogh

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GuntyLeatherworks

My daughter and just received ours yesterday and really like them! My daughter the artist loves the blank fillers while I got some grid pads.

Thanks for all the great information on the Wanderings Notebook. It's great that the founder took the time to contact you and let you know about his company. Are the notebooks the same size as the Midori Traveller's full size notebooks?

Yes. See the Wanderings site for a complete description. You NSA search amazon for "traveler's notebook" and "midori" and you will find about twenty other suppliers. Many of them are selling the same OEM item, just under a different brand.

Vunter: Thank you very much for going to the trouble of doing and ink/paper interaction eval and photo review. That's a huge help. Very enlightening and looks like the paper is very FP friendly, with some show through. Let the user decide whether to use one side only or not. Enjoy your new notebook. Have an awesome weekend, Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I've just received this journal as a gift, hope this info is useful to somebody. It's a lovely object but I was surprised by the feathering using a wet flexed nib. Here's my first test scribblings (awful handwriting I know).

post-139745-0-24678700-1510420291_thumb.jpg

post-139745-0-51165400-1510420322_thumb.jpg

Possible they’ve sourced different paper stocks since the earlier reviews. With my original Mindoro TNs I just got accustomed to writing only on the recto side.

I like the leather pad on the strap that keeps it closed. My Midori has only a string and I've noticed it digs into the leather a bit; not too much, but enough to be noticed by someone as OCD about notebooks as I am.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]