Montblanc Limited Edition Not Exclusive Any More...

SL_BRABUS

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/limited-editions.filter.html?=undefined

Saw this today..... (^^^..... Click here....^^^)

What going on.......??

Could somebody explain......

Is Montblanc reproducing those limited edition....??

Kind of shock to see 145 products being reproduce....

Do you think it will impact the pricing of the original limit edition....??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SL_BRABUS

• penparadise

• horationelson

• Pravda

If you add the filter "available on line", you will get 33 items, mainly rollerball pens:

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/limited-editions.filter.html?=undefined&filters=1778035081

Could it be some residual stock?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Do not get the issue. These are all fairly new limited editions, some particularly the writer series and made in the tens of thousands in some cases. Lots of pieces sell in the stores, others in the online stores. Why not?

Want an exclusive piece search for something 1,000 or less in a series.

If you add the filter "available on line", you will get 33 items, mainly rollerball pens:

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/limited-editions.filter.html?=undefined&filters=1778035081

Yes, that's it.

No reproductions but new old stock.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

But the rests of the 112 items say this.... "This product is not sold online. Please contact the Montblanc Client Relation Center for more information or visit a boutique."

Do not get the issue. These are all fairly new limited editions, some particularly the writer series and made in the tens of thousands in some cases. Lots of pieces sell in the stores, others in the online stores. Why not?

Want an exclusive piece search for something 1,000 or less in a series.

Yes, that's it.

No reproductions but new old stock.

So you guys telling me there are some new one left at the Montblanc boutique....??

Example: I thought all the Montblanc Imperial Dragon is sold out with 5,000 are made in 1993... And that a 24 years old pen.....

Why would someone pay premium price on ebay while they could get it @ the Montbanc boutique.....

So does this mean of the 145 pens listed, only 33 are available online and the remaining are hiding in boutiques?

I guess so......

They said this.... "This product is not sold online. Please contact the Montblanc Client Relation Center for more information or visit a boutique."

So you guys telling me there are some new one left at the Montblanc boutique....??

Example: I thought all the Montblanc Imperial Dragon is sold out with 5,000 are made in 1993... And that a 24 years old pen.....

Why would someone pay premium price on ebay while they could get it @ the Montbanc boutique.....

Could be. I recently saw Virginia Wolf and Fitzgerald and Dumas in our flagship boutique here. They are very, very old pens. Apparently they never sold and are on tour around the world for whoever wants to pick them up.

But the buyer sitting in Milan or Seattle wouldn't know this, and boutiques wouldn't track them down across the globe. So if he wanted such a piece, yes he'll go to a dealer and pay a premium.

In Amman, Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet have several timepieces that are sold out worldwide and now at a $10k-$15k premium everywhere else.

There was one of these at the boutique near me a few months ago actually. It didn't sell and they had to send it back to Germany.

I never thought of MB limited editions to be exclusive. Their limited editions are almost always produced in the tens of thousands. Unless if exclusive means, that tens of thousands exists...

Edited by Oranges and Apples

And this kind of puts a damper on people buying a LE MB hoping the value goes up. Granted many of the pens still available aren't representing super well known people (or at least I couldn't recognize many of them) and I'm sure there are some models that do sell out quickly.

Also have to hand it to MB not dropping prices to clear inventory. There are very few LE that I'd be interested in simple because I don't care about the person the pens are made to represent.

I like to share two insider informations:

I know that the former marketing director of Montblanc International, Wolff Heinrichsdorff, who retired more than ten years ago, kept some of all limited edition pens in his cupboard for special purposes. For example the openings of new boutiques, special anniversaries, promotion events or for very special customers. I sometimes used this "source" to get an officially sold out LE for a good customer. Wolff Heinrichsdorff was quite strict to cough up some of his hold back treasures. But sometimes I was lucky ...

The prices varied and often were higher than the launch prices - as you can see by the prices at the linked list.

And there have been some limited editions like the WE Dumas or the PoA Editions Peter & Catherine which didn't sell as good as others. So Montblanc tried to pimp up these pens in later years by adding a new package, for example see the "Autograph Sets" or the "300 Years St. Petersburg" boxes.

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I've seen a Garbo, Dietrich and a Hitchcock locally. All new, and not in flagship stores. I mentioned it on this forum, and I was told to shush and take it elsewhere.

Each store likes to have a few high end pieces, and here in China there isn't much through put, except Tom K of course...

Edited by jagwap

One point to mention, MB continually raises sale prices on unsold LE pens. They started this maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Before that, if you found a pen like say a Schiller, the price was just the list price when that pen was new in 2000. You used to be able to send requests for pens back to Hamburg for previous years and they would sometimes grant them. I bought maybe 5 or 6 writers editions that way. But they seemed to have stopped that service around the same time that list prices on unsold LE pens started to rise from original release retail prices. I have seen this happen with a few pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Could be. I recently saw Virginia Wolf and Fitzgerald and Dumas in our flagship boutique here. They are very, very old pens. Apparently they never sold and are on tour around the world for whoever wants to pick them up.

But the buyer sitting in Milan or Seattle wouldn't know this, and boutiques wouldn't track them down across the globe. So if he wanted such a piece, yes he'll go to a dealer and pay a premium.

In Amman, Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet have several timepieces that are sold out worldwide and now at a $10k-$15k premium everywhere else.

Some LE's kinda "bombed" and do not sell for much more than the price at the time, if asked I would name at least one of those 3 in my top 5.

This is interesting. I first fell in love with MB WEs when I saw the Elizabeth I pen in the Bond Street boutique. I never bought it (was still a student at the time) but have been kicking myself since. I’d happily spend the money now, but would never buy such expensive items on eBay. Now that it may be available through MB, I am having to give this some serious thought…

One point to mention, MB continually raises sale prices on unsold LE pens. They started this maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Before that, if you found a pen like say a Schiller, the price was just the list price when that pen was new in 2000. You used to be able to send requests for pens back to Hamburg for previous years and they would sometimes grant them. I bought maybe 5 or 6 writers editions that way. But they seemed to have stopped that service around the same time that list prices on unsold LE pens started to rise from original release retail prices. I have seen this happen with a few pens.

This tactic has been used by luxury watchmakers for many years. Rolex are renowned for this. They implement annual price increases to correct for inflation. The argument for doing so is to create an appearance of value, scarcity, desirability and appreciation. What they are basically saying is to buy their products as soon as possible because they will increase in value and sellout quickly.

The problem with montblanc however is that these items haven't sold out despite some having been released decades ago, and used market prices don't reflect these incremental price increases. So, don't fall for this cheap marketing trick.

Edited by pen jubky