Omas "new Style" Bologna In Celluloid

ck360

Does anyone remember what types of celluloid Omas made the new style bologna in (the one with the bottom metal section circa 2007 - 2008).

As far as I can tell it was the black / gold celluloid with gold plated metal sections, scarlet with silver, burkina with silver, saffron with silver and Blue Royale with silver. Any others?

Thank you

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katanankes

• ck360

• OMASsimo

• Sazerac

This series was introduce 2005 in honor of the 80th anniversary of OMAS. Here is the black/gold version:

image.jpg

It would be interesting indeed, which other models existed.

Edited by OMASsimo

Well, there are two catalogues on the official US web site

http://www.omas.com/catalogues/

Another one can be found her: http://www.omas-ftp.com/list/Catalogo_2015_r18_web.pdf

There are a couple older catalogues here on FPN but in general the available info on OMAS is very scarce.

Unfortunately, the only Bologna listed in the above catalogues is the black/gold one.

I have one in deep green and black. It is called "Autunno" (Autumn) with silver trims. No pics handy but got in late '07. It is a beauty.

black / gold celluloid with gold plated metal sections, scarlet with silver, burkina with silver, saffron with silver and Blue Royale with silver. You should be pretty much alright. With this caveat

1. burkina with silver, saffron with silver and Blue Royale date back to 2005, were part of the initial release.

2. the other two, black/gold and scarlet were issued a few years later with a few modifications, no more silver section (it had problems, leaking is not unusual on these first piston filled celluloid Bologna) and the O on the cap.

I have one in deep green and black. It is called "Autunno" (Autumn) with silver trims. No pics handy but got in late '07. It is a beauty.

Picture would be useful. Maybe it is the saffron one. There is also a bit of confusion on the terminology, not all round Omas are Bolognas.

black / gold celluloid with gold plated metal sections, scarlet with silver, burkina with silver, saffron with silver and Blue Royale with silver. You should be pretty much alright. With this caveat

1. burkina with silver, saffron with silver and Blue Royale date back to 2005, were part of the initial release.

2. the other two, black/gold and scarlet were issued a few years later with a few modifications, no more silver section (it had problems, leaking is not unusual on these first piston filled celluloid Bologna) and the O on the cap.

Interesting! Where is your information from, if I may ask? I have a black/gold one and it has a gold plated metal section and the O in the cap. I also have a scarlet one and it has a silver (or rather HT) plated metal section and the O in the cap. The black/gold version has a 14 k gold nib with the Bologna arches embossed while the scarlet version has a standard OMAS 18 k nib. Please see the pictures below. Judging by the nibs I'd be inclined to think that the black/gold is the original version from 2005 and the scarlet one is from a later series. But I'm just guessing based on the style of the details.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My information comes from following Omas since early 2000, speaking to resellers in the Bologna area... and owning a few hundreds of them! Of course I do not know everything... I was unaware of the Autumn Bologna.

My comment on the section was misleading and I apologize. In the Bologna restyling they did not replace the entire metal section, just a piece... compare your picture with the picture in post number 10 in this thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/180044-favorite-omas-celluloid/

You can see that in the pen posted, part of the original batch of celluloid Bologna pens, the metal section is longer and extends above the threads. Apparetnly this long section made them more prone to leaking. That's why they changed. One of the many disasters of the line change that happened in 2005.

Bologna is really a confusing line, because it is actually more than a pen

1) the cartridge converter resin initial batch (that was soon discontinued, was meant to be a low cost Omas, still sold at around 300 euro at that time, but so life goes)

2) the initial celluloid batch

3) the new celluloids in the picture

4) the plethora of resin colored Omas Bologna, C/C that are actually a different smaller pen, with a number 5 nib, smaller than in these pens.

5) A silver version that could turn into roller.

The arcade theme in the nib was part of the original design but was also used afterwards in all the so called Bologna pens. I am not surprised that one of your models does not have this nib, can be millions of reasons for that.

Hope it helps!

PS a well known seller has advertised as Omas Bologna pens models that are actually round extra, used in some very limited editions. Just to add to the confusion.

Interesting! Where is your information from, if I may ask? I have a black/gold one and it has a gold plated metal section and the O in the cap. I also have a scarlet one and it has a silver (or rather HT) plated metal section and the O in the cap. The black/gold version has a 14 k gold nib with the Bologna arches embossed while the scarlet version has a standard OMAS 18 k nib. Please see the pictures below. Judging by the nibs I'd be inclined to think that the black/gold is the original version from 2005 and the scarlet one is from a later series. But I'm just guessing based on the style of the details.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My information comes from following Omas since early 2000, speaking to resellers in the Bologna area... and owning a few hundreds of them! Of course I do not know everything... I was unaware of the Autumn Bologna.

My comment on the section was misleading and I apologize. In the Bologna restyling they did not replace the entire metal section, just a piece... compare your picture with the picture in post number 10 in this thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/180044-favorite-omas-celluloid/

You can see that in the pen posted, part of the original batch of celluloid Bologna pens, the metal section is longer and extends above the threads. Apparetnly this long section made them more prone to leaking. That's why they changed. One of the many disasters of the line change that happened in 2005.

Bologna is really a confusing line, because it is actually more than a pen

1) the cartridge converter resin initial batch (that was soon discontinued, was meant to be a low cost Omas, still sold at around 300 euro at that time, but so life goes)

2) the initial celluloid batch

3) the new celluloids in the picture

4) the plethora of resin colored Omas Bologna, C/C that are actually a different smaller pen, with a number 5 nib, smaller than in these pens.

5) A silver version that could turn into roller.

The arcade theme in the nib was part of the original design but was also used afterwards in all the so called Bologna pens. I am not surprised that one of your models does not have this nib, can be millions of reasons for that.

Hope it helps!

PS a well known seller has advertised as Omas Bologna pens models that are actually round extra, used in some very limited editions. Just to add to the confusion.

Thank you SOOO much for all the detailed information. And please don't apologize, you're doing all of us a great favour by sharing your knowledge.

So, the point about the metal section is solved and puts the two pens in the picture to the later series. What about the "O" in the cap? They both still have it but I didn't take a picture.

Finding solid information on OMAS pens really is a nightmare. So many of their later models were run in small batches with rapidly changing details. And it seems that nobody took records of all the different models appearing or if so didn't publish them. I try to share what I can but I don't have much knowledge to offer.

Thank you SOOO much for all the detailed information. And please don't apologize, you're doing all of us a great favour by sharing your knowledge.

So, the point about the metal section is solved and puts the two pens in the picture to the later series. What about the "O" in the cap? They both still have it but I didn't take a picture.

Finding solid information on OMAS pens really is a nightmare. So many of their later models were run in small batches with rapidly changing details. And it seems that nobody took records of all the different models appearing or if so didn't publish them. I try to share what I can but I don't have much knowledge to offer.

Yes, the O on the cap was the other change of the two models that are pictured in your post. As you see in the picture that I pointed out in the other thread, the 2005 celluloid models did not bear the O... and this is by the way really strange because the introduction of the O on the cap end was one of the main points of the 2005 restyling commanded by LWMH management. I remember that I met the then CEO a couple of times and he proudly explained me that the O woud stand to Omas like the white star to Montblanc. So not sure why it was missed in this series...

Bologna series was introduced to displace the Omas Ogiva (the model was discontinued that year and reappeared later only for limited editions) and also to offer in the resin version a more affordable entry model to Omas. According to my notes, I purchased a resin Omas Bologna at full retail price for 245 euro in may 2005. Needless to say, the celluloid version would retail for a higher crazy price around 700 euro. My impression - but it is just speculation - is that initially they produced just a relatively small number of celluloid Bologna with no intention to make it a production line. Maybe this happened because the pen was also linked to the 80th anniversary of foundation and the nib with the arcade symbol was an homage to Bologna: one of its distinctive feature is 37 km of porticos (arcades, covered walkways) that stretch around the city (very practical if you do not like umbrellas!). So it is also an anniversary pen to some extent. Yes, Omas could be very confusing in its offering.

The resin version was also soon discontinued (not sure if this was planned or the pen did not sell well) and from what I understand another model, the Emotica, was introduced to provide an entry model for the brand around 2007.

Here's a very nice review of the resin Bologna version

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/129105-omas-bologna/

I recall reading the earlier 2005 editions of the pen had sterling silver hallmarked sections, but later productions did not, can any one confirm that?

I have one in the Blue Royale Celluloid, the silver colored section is not hallmarked.

Also on the smaller Bologna, I think some came with resin sections (as on the review linked above), and some (like the Blue Pearl I own) came with metal sections.

Edited by zchen