The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Couple Of Questions On Mottled Hard Rubber.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darren

Darren

Darren

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:10

Hi everyone,
I recently 'won' (eBay) a mottled pen and have a few questions about the overall condition.
It's pictured below with a ring top and soldier clip in mottled hard rubber for comparison though I think the resolution may have let me down.
The finish on the flat top pen is rough compared to the other two that have a great gloss finish: the red is not sot so red or the black so black but overall the color doesn't appear that faded compared to the soldier clip at least; and, I can't see any imprint at all around the top of the cap.
My first thought was that it's been over-polished, which might explain the lack of imprint too, but there is almost no brassing and the roughness is consistent under the clip, where it's difficult to polish at all let alone too much. I did read somewhere that the red wears quicker than the black rubber to create an uneven surface.
Any thoughts on what's happened to this pen in the last 90 years? Can exposure to light or water pit the surface? Where hard rubber pens made without "Made in Chicago" imprints?
Any suggestions on improving the finish are welcome too (though I've learned the hard way the best result is often the outcome of me leaving the pen alone!).
Incidentally the soldier clip pen has a very flexible 18k #2 nib and what appears to be a hallmark - also a mystery to me.
Thanks and regards,
Darren.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:40

The 18 K nib was for export to France. These come up on some Wahl pens.

As for the finish, hard to tell from the photo.  Oxidation over time can make the pen feel rough.  A gentle polish with simichrome can really work wonders on MHR pens.  You are right that the red and black polish at different rates, so just a nice simple polish is all you want to do.

#3 Darren

Darren

Darren

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:52

Thanks, Greenie - doesn't seem like I'll get into too much trouble with a gentle polish. I'll give that a go and a better photo too, hopefully showing a nice result. Otherwise it is still a nice pen, if a little rough, and in good working order.
France for the 18k nib? I don't remember exactly where I got that pen and in fact didn't notice the nib till recently but that's a little exotic and a nice variation in my collection!
Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Darren.

#4 Darren

Darren

Darren

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34

Quick update - after a week at work the sheen has improved considerably, I assume from being handled and oils from hand contact. Someone should bottle it, or a more sanitary alternative! If they already have please let me know.

#5 Greenie

Greenie

Vintage

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 06:47

It sounds gross, but many pen people have noticed how well it works....

Rub your finger on the side of your nose or behind your ear, etc to get it good and oily, and rub it on your hard rubber pens.

Sponsored Content

|