Help Me Choose My Next Jinhao :)

truthpil

Hi Everyone,

Jinhaos have been the only Chinese pens I've used that have always worked right out of the box and had smooth nibs that are easy to change. The only problem I've had is that the section can leak after a while. I enjoy my X750s and X450, but wanted something a little thinner. I've narrowed it down to these 4 pens and would appreciate your input, especially if you have any of these. I'm asking everyone on here also because I'd like to get a pen to review that FPN folks are most curious about.

My priorities are a comfortable section (which is making me lean away from the shorter-sectioned 601) and a smooth-as-possible nib.

The weight and measurements are from a Jinhao dealer, but I don't know how accurate they are.

They are ordered from least to most expensive (13~32RMB).

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

Jinhao 911 EF (20g) 14cm(L) [They call this a "financial nib" 0.38 which I think means accountant style.]

TB26E1DXbaI.eBjSspaXXXIKpXa_!!2842117074

Jinhao 601 M (40g) 13.2(L) [This is a Parker Sonnet clone like Kaigelu 356]

TB20pHOopXXXXanXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!2842117074

Jinhao 165 M (32g) 13.7cm (L)

TB2GoVNa4Rzc1FjSZFPXXcGAFXa_!!2842117074
Jinhao 163 M (40g) 14.2(L)

TB2dSb2jVXXXXX_XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1637902273

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• KingRoach

• oneill

• Mech-for-i

Jinhaos are good, but a Baoer 388 is probably even better. Less boring at least(nib included). Very comfortable, much like any pen that mimics the parker sonnet. + I can practically guarantee that it will write straight away.

Never had or heard of the leakage issue with either company. But messing with the nib-feed assembly can lead to leaks because of the low quality of the plastics used in making the pens. So don`t do it if you care for them.

From the above, i`d probaly go with the Jinhao 601, i like the screw-in cap and grippy-looking section. I`d definitely like to read a review of it.

As a side note, in my experience the common Jinhao nib which gets fitted on most of their models is stiffer than the nib on the Baoer 388, which has a ever so slightly springy nib, which is good for comfort during writing and should also prolong the useful life of the nib- less chance of getting the tines misaligned.

Just my impression.

Edited by rochester21

Baoer and Jinhao are the same company, merely different brand names. The Boaer 388 is a very good choice and is available in lots of different and very attractive finishes.

I would think that the leak has nothing to do with the quality of the plastic as it will be no different whatever the cost of the pen (even "precious resin" which is just ultra expensive plastic).

Friction fit pens are not designed to be constantly changed anyway, so whatever the price and whatever the 'quality'(a mythical beast), there will be issues if you regularly swap nibs in and out. The only solution is to minimise this where possible.

In many such pens there will be a ridge which enables it to slot in in one way only, and this will loosen over time.

I like the look of the 911 and 165 most.

Baoer and Jinhao are the same company, merely different brand names. The Boaer 388 is a very good choice and is available in lots of different and very attractive finishes.

I would think that the leak has nothing to do with the quality of the plastic as it will be no different whatever the cost of the pen (even "precious resin" which is just ultra expensive plastic).

Friction fit pens are not designed to be constantly changed anyway, so whatever the price and whatever the 'quality'(a mythical beast), there will be issues if you regularly swap nibs in and out. The only solution is to minimise this where possible.

In many such pens there will be a ridge which enables it to slot in in one way only, and this will loosen over time.

I like the look of the 911 and 165 most.

Thanks for your input!

I'm leaning away from the Baoer 388 or Jinhao 501 simply because I just got a Kaigelu 356 last week and it fills the Sonnet clone gap for me.

Regarding the leaking section on Jinhaos, the leaks occur between the metal-colored rings and the plastic grip section. Usually it doesn't affect writing because ink doesn't leak out, but it can be a major annoyance when using a bulb syringe to clean the pen. Water and ink end up shooting out of the seams and making a mess all over the sink and one's clothing if you aren't prepared for it. I only had one X750 with a leak so bad that ink would start coming out of the seam.

Right now I'm debating between the 165 and 163. How does the 165 compare in size and heft to the X750 or X450?

The 163 is noticeably smaller and thinner.

I'll probably get the 911 as well because I need some finer nibs for Chinese writing.

It's definitely a problem in the section, but usually only noticeable when I use a bulb syringe to clean the pen. I think the issue is just that the parts of the section are not always watertight. It doesn't seem to affect the seal between the nipple and feed thankfully.

Jinhao converters are a bit on the dire side of bad, so you could try using a cartridge for a short while to see if ther leak still occurs.

Eliminate all possibilities.

Oh I do like the looks of the Jinhao 911. Unfortunately a quick hop to eBay shows no listings. -_-

Is "fasttech.com" a place I want to order from?

Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Well if its indeed leaking between the section and the end trim ring then its probably nothing to do with the nib and feed at all. This is a somewhat common issue encountered in some old pens when the trim ring seal age and cracks. Solution is as simple as removing the trim ring, clean the mating zurfaces and then put it back again using shellac, resin or modern silicone grease ( the paste type ). I had done that quite a number of times.

Well if its indeed leaking between the section and the end trim ring then its probably nothing to do with the nib and feed at all. This is a somewhat common issue encountered in some old pens when the trim ring seal age and cracks. Solution is as simple as removing the trim ring, clean the mating zurfaces and then put it back again using shellac, resin or modern silicone grease ( the paste type ). I had done that quite a number of times.

I think you hit the nail on the head. There was probably insufficient shellac from the start and the pressure of forcing water through the section with the bulb syringe started wearing away at what was there. I noticed the leaks did increase over time. These pens are cheap enough though that it probably isn't worth the trouble of getting the tools and materials to fix the issue. So far I've only had to throw one X750 away because the leaking started messing with ink flow, but that was after a couple years of use. They are definitely worth more that what you pay for!!

This may be helpful to some folks on here.

I was finally able to find detailed measurements for some of the Jinhao pens at http://justwrite.com.au.

X750
Length: 141mm. 128mm uncapped. 160mm with cap posted.
Diameter: 13mm
Weight: 35g

X450
Length: 141mm. 125mm uncapped. 160mm with cap posted.
Diameter: 14mm
Weight: 44g

Dimensions: 138mm capped, 120mm uncapped.
Cap: 65.5mm x 12mm diameter
Barrel: 11mm.
Hand Grip: 30mm x 9.5mm tapering to 8mm at the tip.
Weight: 31g

Dimensions: 139mm capped, 120mm uncapped.
Cap: 65.5mm x 12mm diameter
Hand Grip: 30mm x 9.5mm tapering to 8mm at the tip.
Weight: 33g

Dimensions: 132mm capped, 122mm uncapped.
Cap: 59mm x 12.5mm diameter
Weight: 29g

I think I'm close to settling on the 165 because I like that the barrel is one single piece and that it actually weighs a little less than the 163.

:excl: Oops, i totally forgot about the converter issues. Bluey is right, most of the converters found on chinese pens are are totally rubbish and should be chucked away. I found on more than a few occassions that these converters are not completely airtight and therefore can produce the impression that the pen is leaky. In fact, it`s only a defective converter. This is why i only use ink cartridges with these pens. But if you have a quality converter from waterman or whatever, you can use that.

Edited by rochester21

I think the problem likely arise in that many Chinese pen use the Hero converter which are spec as 2.6mm throat diameter where the usual ( so called ) intl std spec as 2.4mm throat ( +/- 0.5 I believe but am not sure ) So the Hero spec converter might look just like intl std but they are definitely out of spec and too wide but because of the rather similar size people can be seen putting them onto each other without knowing that they are putting on the wrong sized ones. If I recall it right Wing Sung did adopt the intl std sizing but their spec say 2.5mm though I had found theirs working in my Pelikan without any issue

I have not seen the Jinhao 911, but I would suggest it's likely to be very good, on the basis if the now unavailable J321, which I reviewed here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/141747-jinhao-321-review

My only complaint about Chinese hooded nib pens is that they all seem to be 'Fine' or 'Extra Fine'. How about a 'Broad' sometime? [mumble, mutter, sulk]

Regards,

Richard.

My only complaint about Chinese hooded nib pens is that they all seem to be 'Fine' or 'Extra Fine'. How about a 'Broad' sometime? [mumble, mutter, sulk]

Regards,

Richard.

Yeah, their hooded nibs are definitely geared toward the local market. Chinese characters tend to get messy with broad nibs or you have to write ridiculously huge. Almost all of my students at the university here use EF nibs if they have FPs or micro 0.2 gel pens. I always get excited when a student turns in something written with an FP (happens 2-3 times in every class), but I get almost giddy when it's a juicy F.

Chinese manufacturers are making increasingly smoother EF nibs as well. I got a cheapo plastic student pen for US$0.30 and its hooded EF nib writes great with just a little tooth for control. I'm hoping the 911 will be even smoother.

I think the problem likely arise in that many Chinese pen use the Hero converter which are spec as 2.6mm throat diameter where the usual ( so called ) intl std spec as 2.4mm throat ( +/- 0.5 I believe but am not sure ) So the Hero spec converter might look just like intl std but they are definitely out of spec and too wide but because of the rather similar size people can be seen putting them onto each other without knowing that they are putting on the wrong sized ones. If I recall it right Wing Sung did adopt the intl std sizing but their spec say 2.5mm though I had found theirs working in my Pelikan without any issue

I have noticed the frustratingly slight differences between the different Chinese converters. Even different Hero pens come with different diameter converters! Sometimes the difference is so slight that it's easy to miss when grabbing for one in a drawer. I actually split the threaded part of the section on one 5028 by putting a different Chinese converter in it. Sometimes, like with the convertors on the Jinhao 159, the throat diameter is standard but the plastic around it is too thick to fit in other pens. I've stopped buying spare converters online because I never know which pens they'll fit in.

I've read some opinions that in Jinhao 911 plastic threads have a tendency to very easly break. This is what for now prevented of from getting one, even though a c/c Parker 51 clone is something I would like to get.

Edited by WJM

I've read some opinions that in Jinhao 911 plastic threads have a tendency to very easly break. This is what for now prevented of from getting one, even though a c/c Parker 51 clone is something I would like to get.

Thanks for the warning about the plastic threads. Are there any other Chinese c/c Parker 51 clones you've come across?

I know a lot of people rave about the Hero 616, but all 3 I got were duds and would randomly spit out ink and make a mess. I also have a Hero 101 and find it to be frustratingly dry, although the EF nib is smooth 14K nail.

Parker clone they might not be but there are quite a number of models of hooded nib pen from varous made that had the C/C mechanism. Hero 338 late version had that. And pretty much all Hero hooded nib models that got introduced after Y2K.

ive ordered a jinhao 911 but aliexpress says i should expect waiting times up to another 7 weeks perhaps. if it arrives before that (if it arrives at all) i will let you know what i think of it.