Pilot 823 Nib Size

agrumos

Hi !

I'm considering purchasing a Pilot 823 and having a hard time picking the nib size.

I currently have a Pilot Metropolitan in Fine, but it's a bit too fine and scratchy. I also own a Jinhao X750 in M which while being quite smooth is too thick and wet. From these 2 pens, I'd like something in between, maybe on the fine size.

- Would the Pilot 823 in fine comparable with the Metropolitan F?

- How the 823 M compare to the Jinhao X750 M ?

Thanks !

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogbaby

• Duane Pandorf

• ehemem

• agrumos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have recently purchased and am using the Pilot Custom 823 in my daily journaling. I prefer the Japanese fine nib size as compared to the European size fine. My Pelikan M800 has an EF nib as my prefered journaling size nib.

Having said all that the problem I have with the Pilot Custom 823 is you "normally" only have three #15 nib size options (F, M, Bold). If you're in the US you're only option from a US vendor is the Amber colored version.

I bought my smoked black version 823 from the Tokyo Pen Shop with one of their two custom nib options (Falcon or Waverly) with the Falcon nib.

I'm not sure if you're aware but Pilot also sells a Custom 743 that is not available in the US that uses the same nib size and feed as the 823 with a lot of nib size options. They include: (I wish and I would bet many here would like to have these same nib options for the 823!) EF · F · SF · FM · SFM · M · SM · B · BB · C · PO · FA · WA · SU.

I also bought the the Custom 743 around the same time as my 823 with the soft fine nib and that nib probably would meet your preference. I'm debating whether to swap nibs from my 743 to 823 as the Falcon nib on my 823 writes just a little too wet for me.

So not sure if this helps you decide between a F or M nib but if you really wanted to customize your 823 you could buy a 743 with the nib you really wanted. Swap the nibs and then sell the 743. But, if you're like me you'd find that they both have a place in my "inventory".

post-119523-0-55936600-1486822717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf

--------------------

Blog

i have had all 3 sizes on the 823 and find the fine a little too fine (i love this pen)

the medium is very good for me though a tad large (for my tomoe diary, not for every day journaling where it is about right and a lovely nib) so i want something in between and can't decide between the soft-fine (i have a 74 with a soft medium and i love the nib) and the hard fine-medium

so, i am stuck between getting the soft-fine and the hard fine-medium

duane, would you mind posting some writing samples ? ... maybe the soft-fine against another well known pen ?

I have a Pilot 823 in fine inked with Pilot Blue Black, and it writes wetter than any Metro that I've tried. Not dripping wet, mind you, but the ink looks darker from this pen than any of my no. 10 Pilot fine nibs. If that makes any sense...

Attached is a quick writing sample. Please don't fault me for my pour writing ability. This is an iPhone snap. The paper is Leuchtturm1917 Bullet Journal.

The pens used: Pilot 743, 823, 912; Sailor 1911 Realo, Pelikan M800 and Nakaya Naka-ai.

post-119523-0-66592600-1486857645_thumb.jpg

Duane Pandorf

--------------------

Blog

thanks duane for the writing samples

that soft-fine 743 looks very good ...

i can buy another custom 74 with a soft-fine for about $80 or buy a 743 soft-fine for about $210 and swap out with an 823

i love the 74 soft-medium but just too wet and broad so the sf might do the trick

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 823 in medium, inked with Pilot Blue-Black. Its line is a bit broader than I would like, but it's a real workhorse. Of course, this is the 15-size nib. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference, but I have another Pilot maki-e with a 10-size medium that is perfect. I also have an 845 from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill with a Waverley nib that writes somewhere between a fine and a medium.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.