Thoughts On The New And Upcoming Sailor Fresca?

eharriett

I've been wanting a Sailor for awhile now. And I had my eye on one of their ribbed pens. Because of the price, I was going to wait until later this year when I was going to hit one of the pen shows. But seeing as how it is being discontinued now, I'm afraid it is just going to have to be a pass. So instead, I'm looking at that new 1911 sky blue "Fresca" model coming out. Love that color. And I can risk that price without ordering online.

I know it is very new, but does anyone else have some thoughts on it before I take that plunge? Never owned a Sailor before, and what is making me sit up and take notice is the devotion of it's rather large fanbase. Ready to see what the hubub is all about.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• LuckyKate

• Sailor Kenshin

• cattar

I ordered it in the 1911 large size with a music nib from Anderson Pens. I can't wait to ink it up with Iroshizuku Tsutsuji and pretend that it is spring already.

It was love at first sight for me. Mine is on the way...the color looks terrific online. Hopefully it is true to the actusl

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I didn't know the ribbed models were being discontinued! 😦

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Oh forgot to mention, I only have one suggestion: make sure you choose the right nib, specially if you only like a certain type/size of nibs. This might be tricky as different manufacturers assign different semantics to their nib labels, e.g. Sailor fine is very different from Pelikan fine. This site will give you a rough idea on tipping sizes:

https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

PS. I also find 21k nibs to be slightly pleasing than 14k ones and large bodies somewhat preferable to standard ones.

Edited by ILM

I can't remember where I saw a notice of discontinuation, but I reached out to Anderson to confirm it since I was going to buy it from them when I went to my next show and they did confirm. So this is an opportunity I am going to pass up, unfortunately. Having the hardest time getting a ribbed pen. Going to get a custom one instead.

ILM: thank you. That helps a bit, although I've still got issues with my relative inexperience and the fact that I have to hold the pen differently to get it to write properly. I've reached out to the people on the very site you linked to for recommendations on a nib grind because of my particular writing style. For daily writing, my Pilot VP's fine seems to be a bit too thin, but the Metropolitan's medium is a bit too broad. My Visconti's fine is perfect as are my vintage F Sheaffer, Eversharp, and Watermans. Since I've never written with a Sailor, I figure it will be a learning experience, another reason why I was going to wait to get one of the ribbed ones at a show.

I thought that the ribbed models were discontinued some years ago...

Just recently discontinued. I bought some in March 2016, and then promptly told I could no longer re-order as they were discontinued. I am down to two Pro Gear in Black with gold trim. One may end up going home with me. ;-)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

It was love at first sight for me. Mine is on the way...the color looks terrific online. Hopefully it is true to the actusl

Our pens arrive today, we'll have images up before end of day to replace the stock images from Sailor. Looking forward to seeing it as well!

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I bought a black ribbed with the naginata nib a few years ago, amazing pen. I was really after the rare green ribbed which I came close to getting but didn't wind up with it. The fresca blue really looks nice and with the rhodium trim, having trouble avoiding it, not sure which nib though. I have sailor broad, naginata medium, music and fine.

Sailor has a footed nib that's mostly stiff with a bit feedback. You can have a good experience if you hold a pen at a 45-60 degree angle to the page, don't roll your hand/wrist as you write, and write with a light hand/little pressure.
I love Sailor nibs/pens, but they're not for everyone.
From what you posted, try an FM or M nib. A custom grind from nibs.com could smooth the foot, though you'd still have feedback.

Just recently discontinued. I bought some in March 2016, and then promptly told I could no longer re-order as they were discontinued. I am down to two Pro Gear in Black with gold trim. One may end up going home with me. ;-)

Curse the timing of it all!! :)

One day I'll be somewhere that a ribbed pen is available for me to try before I buy.

Even though I'm still fairly new to fountain pens. The general praise I've seen by people about Sailor (almost like praise for Apple products) has made me really want one and that Fresca blue is that perfect blend of appearance with a price I'm willing to pay to get a pen without holding it in my hand first. Been going back and forth on nibs. I'm a left handed over writer and for my pens to write I have to write with the nib angled down and to the right. I hear Sailors act a bit differently based on how you hold them, so I have been doing some reading up on it before pulling the trigger. This may be a problem I won't be able to solve without taking it to a nib grinder at a show though, unfortunately.

I think the color is very pretty and I've had my eye on Sailor for a while, just haven't made a decision (none of my other pens are quite at the 1911 price point). There is a really strong Pen Posse around me, probably someone has a 1911 I could handle and see if I like to help my decision? I'm looking forward to reviews and less staged photos to help me, too.

I'll come up with something eventually.

You may want to try a Zoom or a Naginata nib, if available in the model you are interested in. Both nibs are made to write a line width that differs with the angle used. Having one of each if these, I still am not really so sure what the exact difference between the two nibs are. But they ARE different from any other nib I have tried.

Handedness doesn't matter for pens. I'm a lefty overwriter. Sailors are my favorite pens. I usually write with the nib pointed in the opposite direction of the typical righthander.
A nib cares that's it's riding on a pool of ink, it doesn't care what direction it's pointed.

To clarify that earlier post…

A nib cares that both tines on the page, that keeps the nib riding on that pool of ink. Many people roll their hand or wrist while they're writing and experience scratchiness or skipping.

A nib cares about pressure, that can push a nib to dig into the page. Many people press the nib while writing and experience scratchiness. Also, as a lefty overwriter, it you don't press, then you too can write with needlepoint nibs, and italic nibs, and with springy soft nibs and bouncy flex nibs.

A nib cares about a lower angle to the page, that keeps the nib is gliding on the tipping. This is the pen angle to the page. Few nibs are designed to write with the pen held straight up at a 90 degree angle to the page like some people hold a ballpoint or pencil. Most nibs are designed to write with the pen held at a lower angle. As you write more with fountain pens, your hand may relax and you'll write at a lower angle.

A Sailor nib is designed with feedback. If you like the feel of writing with a pencil or mechanical pencil, you'd probably like the feel of a Sailor.

Summing that up. Because sailor has footed nibs, a light and steady hand is a better experience.

Tinjapan suggested the naginata togi or zoom nibs.
These are tapered nibs designed to give the look of a brush stroke by changing the angle of the pen while writing. So a wider line when the pen is held at a lower angle and a finer line when the pen is held at 90 degrees. These nibs are smooth, not footed.
Some people like them. For me, they feel like felt markers.
The zoom is wider at a lower angle. The naginata can come in sizes, and it's lower angle size is a size larger than stated.

If there's a pen group near you, and there probably is, see if someone has a Sailor.

If you're generally having a good experience with fountain pens and write with a light and steady hand, order one.

Sailors tend to write drier, which I prefer.
If you like a wetter nib. Nibs.com can adjust. They also exchange or return.

eta. Hope this is more clear than the previous post.

Edited by cattar

Curse the timing of it all!! :)

One day I'll be somewhere that a ribbed pen is available for me to try before I buy.

Even though I'm still fairly new to fountain pens. The general praise I've seen by people about Sailor (almost like praise for Apple products) has made me really want one and that Fresca blue is that perfect blend of appearance with a price I'm willing to pay to get a pen without holding it in my hand first. Been going back and forth on nibs. I'm a left handed over writer and for my pens to write I have to write with the nib angled down and to the right. I hear Sailors act a bit differently based on how you hold them, so I have been doing some reading up on it before pulling the trigger. This may be a problem I won't be able to solve without taking it to a nib grinder at a show though, unfortunately.

Southpaw hooker here too...are you sure you'd want a Music or Zoom nib? I have both, and even with this writing position that makes a nib write finer, they are absolute paintbrushes.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Handedness doesn't matter for pens. I'm a lefty overwriter. Sailors are my favorite pens. I usually write with the nib pointed in the opposite direction of the typical righthander.

A nib cares that's it's riding on a pool of ink, it doesn't care what direction it's pointed.

To clarify that earlier post…

A nib cares that both tines on the page, that keeps the nib riding on that pool of ink. Many people roll their hand or wrist while they're writing and experience scratchiness or skipping.

A nib cares about pressure, that can push a nib to dig into the page. Many people press the nib while writing and experience scratchiness. Also, as a lefty overwriter, it you don't press, then you too can write with needlepoint nibs, and italic nibs, and with springy soft nibs and bouncy flex nibs.

A nib cares about a lower angle to the page, that keeps the nib is gliding on the tipping. This is the pen angle to the page. Few nibs are designed to write with the pen held straight up at a 90 degree angle to the page like some people hold a ballpoint or pencil. Most nibs are designed to write with the pen held at a lower angle. As you write more with fountain pens, your hand may relax and you'll write at a lower angle.

A Sailor nib is designed with feedback. If you like the feel of writing with a pencil or mechanical pencil, you'd probably like the feel of a Sailor.

Summing that up. Because sailor has footed nibs, a light and steady hand is a better experience.

Tinjapan suggested the naginata togi or zoom nibs.

These are tapered nibs designed to give the look of a brush stroke by changing the angle of the pen while writing. So a wider line when the pen is held at a lower angle and a finer line when the pen is held at 90 degrees. These nibs are smooth, not footed.

Some people like them. For me, they feel like felt markers.

The zoom is wider at a lower angle. The naginata can come in sizes, and it's lower angle size is a size larger than stated.

If there's a pen group near you, and there probably is, see if someone has a Sailor.

If you're generally having a good experience with fountain pens and write with a light and steady hand, order one.

Sailors tend to write drier, which I prefer.

If you like a wetter nib. Nibs.com can adjust. They also exchange or return.

eta. Hope this is more clear than the previous post.

Lots of things here. I'll try and break down.

I tend to prefer smooth nibs. Very smooth, which was one of the reasons I was concerned about nib placement on paper in the first place.

It is very good to know that those pens and nibs respond well to your writing style. That will give me some hope.

No pen group I've found in Ohio. Really ought to see about starting one. You'd think it would be a no brainer with the Ohio Pen Show, but nope.

I asked nibs.com, first email response was good; haven't heard back from them yet when I sent them requested pics and it's been several days. Kinda disappointing.

The smoothest and most ideal nib I have written with on a new pen was a Bock F on a Karas Kustoms Ink. Could not get to love the pen itself but the nib was pure joy.

Southpaw hooker here too...are you sure you'd want a Music or Zoom nib? I have both, and even with this writing position that makes a nib write finer, they are absolute paintbrushes.

I wan't thinking about wither a Music or a Zoom. I was considering either an M, MF, or F, simply because the lines I have to write on daily are so small that anything too broad would look like a blob. But I am curious, since you have the same writing style I do, of your opinion on those? Certain inks I have which shade really drastically depending on the line I put down would be really great with a nib like that. How do those nibs treat you?

Thanks a lot for your insight, guys!

Eharriet: Which nibs did you mean? 'Cause I have 'em all, except any of the specialty nibs costing nosebleed prices.

I have a large 1911 with a Medium nib, and I didn't buy it new. But it's a gusher. It seems happiest when loaded with Pelikan IG Blue-Black. The line approaches a Western MF then.

I have a few of Sailor's Fine nibs on everything from a Clear Candy through Procolor and Sapporo. They seem to write a genuine fine line. I got a Pro Gear from Nibs dot etc with MF nib and it's really nice. I think a couple of my Sapporos have the MF nib, too, and no problems with any of those. Fine enough for detail work, generous enough to show color and shading.

I even got a Sapporo with EF nib. Now that's a needlepoint, but not at all dry or stingy. Hope this helps.

PS: Because I can't type any better than I can read today, if you meant the Music or Zoom, they're paintbrushes. I need to adjust my lettering to Ginormous in order to compensate.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.