Today I’m reviewing Diamine Eau de Nil The name means: 'Water of the Nile'

I’ve seen previous reviews for Eau de Nil, and decided to try it out. I’m pleased I did because I really like the colour. It’s like a blue with added grey that makes it into a blue teal that doesn’t lean very green.

It is not a really saturated ink, and it’s a little drier than some other inks I’ve written with recently. However, it’s an excellent shader and I found no problems with the flow or lubrication. I would say it’s well behaved in the pens and on the paper that I used.

I saw no skips or hard starts, and it didn't dry out on the nib while I was doing swab tests.

This ink isn't sold as water resistant, but there was some water resistance when I did the water test.

I like the way it shades on most papers.

• This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, but it has some water resistance.
  • Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a quite shiny surface at 100gsm, and I used several different nibs, this ink took 10-12 secs secs to dry using the Parker 51 F nib.
  • No smear after dry.
  • It exhibited good flow and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles.
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price.

fpn_1486741911__diamine_eau_de_nil1.jpgfpn_1486741960__diamine_eau_de_nil_0002-fpn_1486741991__diamine_eau_de_nil_b.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Manalto

• Rita_K

• Barkingpig

Thanks for posting your review. I have a bottle of Eau de Nil, and to my eyes it's a very unique and beautiful color. Nothing else I have is even close. However, mine definitely has a little more green in it than the writing samples above appear to be on my computer screen. I mostly use it in a Momento "Islands" pen, and it goes well with the summery, water colors of the pen. I love this ink!

Yes, mine is way more green than what I see in the images - I wouldn't describe it as blue at all - it's teal. Pretty much like Yama Dori, but without all the sheen, a little lighter, and a slightly different shade, but still greenish teal.

It's light teal but not green. It's name means 'Water of the Nile.' Sailor Jentle Yama dori is also a bluer teal.

My scan matches the ink I wrote with on my screen. Diamine Schubert, Teal and Levenger True Teal are greener teals.

Thanks for your good review. I like this family of colors; it seems that I gravitate toward the blue-greens and blue-purples and tend to avoid the middle-of-the-road blues, for some reason. Maybe I'm afraid people won't notice that my scrawls came from a fountain pen!

James

Thanks for your good review. I like this family of colors; it seems that I gravitate toward the blue-greens and blue-purples and tend to avoid the middle-of-the-road blues, for some reason. Maybe I'm afraid people won't notice that my scrawls came from a fountain pen!

Thanks for a great review, Chrissy.

I'm not sure why we don't hear more about this ink. It's one of my favorites.

You're both welcome. :) Yes it's a very attractive ink.

Thanks for your wonderful review of an ink I purchased because it matched a Parker 45! I was always happy to use it when filling that pen, although it isn't a color I am naturally drawn to, I respect it & remember it was a nice ink in that pen.

Hmm. Somehow I had gotten it into my head that this ink was a lot greener (almost to the level of J Herbin Diabolo Menthe). So I never tried it.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I find that it turns greener as it dries-- not immediately, but the pages in my journal I wrote a few months ago are greener than the pages I wrote yesterday.

It's a fun ink and I enjoyed reading your review!

Hmm. Somehow I had gotten it into my head that this ink was a lot greener (almost to the level of J Herbin Diabolo Menthe). So I never tried it.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You're welcome. :) I must admit, it was less green than I expected it was going to be.

I find that it turns greener as it dries-- not immediately, but the pages in my journal I wrote a few months ago are greener than the pages I wrote yesterday.

It's a fun ink and I enjoyed reading your review!

You're welcome, and I will be sure to revisit my notes to see if the colour has changed at all. :)

Thanks for your wonderful review of an ink I purchased because it matched a Parker 45! I was always happy to use it when filling that pen, although it isn't a color I am naturally drawn to, I respect it & remember it was a nice ink in that pen.

You're welcome :) I like to match inks with pen colours too. :D

^ This.

I like the colour of Eau de Nil all right as it goes on the page, but it's not until it's aged a bit that I love it. When I first tried a sample, I thought, "Meh, it's okay, but I don't need a bottle." But a few months later I noticed that I was constantly stopping to say, "What IS that gorgeous ink?" if I flipped back through a notebook, and concluded that I did, in fact, need a bottle.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Great review, thank you. Looks a really nice blue, that might be a good choice for my EDC pens. I can see myself using it at work for note taking.

You're welcome. :)

Considering I get through about as much EdN as all other inks together, I suppose I must rate it as my all round favourite. I also think it greener than these scans show, but there are so many variables - scanner, software, screen etc. that they can only ever be a guide and those of us who never take the time to do reviews must be grateful to those who do.

Of course the paper has an effect and then there is the pen as well. I understand that a wet nib will give a darker, more saturated line than a dryer one. I don't understand why different pens can seem to actually shift colours - e.g. I use Twilight in my M800 because it looks greener than from anything else. In the interests of science, I have just dipped the Parker 51 in EdN and it does give a bluer looking line than the Lamies and Pelikans it would normally go in. Strange old world!

I do enjoy reading the reviews, so thanks, and keep them coming.

Considering I get through about as much EdN as all other inks together, I suppose I must rate it as my all round favourite. I also think it greener than these scans show, but there are so many variables - scanner, software, screen etc. that they can only ever be a guide and those of us who never take the time to do reviews must be grateful to those who do.

Of course the paper has an effect and then there is the pen as well. I understand that a wet nib will give a darker, more saturated line than a dryer one. I don't understand why different pens can seem to actually shift colours - e.g. I use Twilight in my M800 because it looks greener than from anything else. In the interests of science, I have just dipped the Parker 51 in EdN and it does give a bluer looking line than the Lamies and Pelikans it would normally go in. Strange old world!

I do enjoy reading the reviews, so thanks, and keep them coming.

You're welcome