Travelers/midori Vs Wanderings Notebooks

Vunter

I've been doing my research on traveler's notebooks and gearing up to purchase one. In doing my humble research it's hard to miss the Traveler's / Midori notebook and I know it has a huge community. I've also stumbled on a bunch of custom ones on Etsy. I've been able to whittle it down between two products.

The Traveler's / Midori

The Wanderings

https://wanderersway.com/products/the-wanderings-notebook

According to Wanderings site; it can take all the inserts and accessories that the Midori one can so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm curious if anyone has purchased The Wanderings one and if so are they happy with their purchase or wish they would have spent the extra money and the Travelers / Midori Notebook? Feel free to chime in with any and all insights between the two or even other ideas as well.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• jimhughes

• bogiesan

• Misfit

I have 3 of the Traveller notebooks. Love 'em. The others look just as good.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

What are the dimensions?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Regular Sized Midoris are 4.9" Horizontal x 8.7" Vertical. The passport is the smaller size one.

Edited by jimhughes

Thanks for sharing the link for Wanderings. I have a full sized Midori Travelers that I use everyday. I have had it for several years, and with daily use, it has held up well. I use three of the 013 insert (the Tomoe River paper insert) and love it. But I may choose to switch to a new cover and I like what I see on the Wanderings website. I too will be interested to see what others may say.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for sharing the link for Wanderings. I have a full sized Midori Travelers that I use everyday. I have had it for several years, and with daily use, it has held up well. I use three of the 013 insert (the Tomoe River paper insert) and love it. But I may choose to switch to a new cover and I like what I see on the Wanderings website. I too will be interested to see what others may say.

Yeah, the price of the Wanderings notebook has me super learning towards their product. Overall after spending some time on their website and various blogs; they seem very decent in terms of quality.

Well, after seeing this, I checked out the Wanderings web site

and liked what I saw. Ordered one as they look well put together.

Will report back as soon as it shows up.

I, too, ordered one with extra insert notebooks last night. Looks very well made at a more than reasonable price. Got a nice note from Evan, proprietor this AM. My leather cover and extra insert notebooks are on the way. Evan mentioned they used Amazon shipping. I believe they are located in British Columbia. The link he sent me to track my package showed it was in Fort Worth, Texas...a shout and a holler from my home in Albuquerque, NM. Not sure if they used a rocket to get the package that far or Amazon warehouses them in Texas. Tremendous customer service, IMHO. The notebooks are reported to be FP Friendly. I'm anxiously awaiting the covers arrival. Thank you for sharing this web site link with FPN.

Edited by jimhughes

I also pulled the trigger on The Wanderings Notebook. Looking forward to getting it in a few days.

**Update**

Evan, the founder also sent me a nice message and we had a great correspondence. The Wanderings notebook doesn't really seem to have a lot of info here on FPN so I when I get my notebook I'll probably create another thread shedding some light on the product just to get it out that Wanderings seems to be a really great alternative to Midori.

Edited by Vunter

The Midori full size on amazon is $38 for the brown version, $38.56 for camel and $38.99 for black.

I like the compass rose image on the Wanderings cover. I got the brown Midori from amazon.

Posted Image

The Midori full size on amazon is $38 for the brown version, $38.56 for camel and $38.99 for black.

I like the compass rose image on the Wanderings cover. I got the brown Midori from amazon.

The Midori products are available from many Amazon vendors.

I have purchased several Traveler's Notebooks (formerly Midori) and various accessories from Goulet here in the States. A few dollars more. Worth it to me.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 4 weeks later...

My passport size came from Goulet. I try not to buy pen and ink from amazon, but sometimes to get to free shipping. In the case of the full size Travelers notebook, I was asking for it as a gift idea and wanted to save money for my relative.

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

The Midori products are available from many Amazon vendors.

I have purchased several Traveler's Notebooks (formerly Midori) and various accessories from Goulet here in the States. A few dollars more. Worth it to me.

I was on the market for a camel regular size. Read mixed reviews at Amazon. Agree that spending a little more for peace of mind seems to worth it.

September Leather also offers a very decent package of regular-ized traveler's notebook. I heard the inserts (comes with 3) are FP friendly.

• 2 months later...

I love my Midori travelers notebook. I have been taking it everywhere with me. Mine has my journal, my sketch book, and I'm putting together a homemade insert that is a blank guitar tab book, for my songs I'm writing. Midori's are a serious addiction.

• 3 weeks later...

P'raps I'm a bit near-sighted but I don't see any significant diff tween the two offerings. Other than some minor style elements that is, and a small variation in cost. What am I missing?

They are quite similar; Wanderings is meant to be (and is) compatible with the Midori/Travelers "system". There are a few blog posts & YouTube videos comparing them. The construction of the Wanderings book is a little different. The band holding the book closed has a leather flap threaded into it to wrap around the open end, which the Travelers books don't have, which I imagine secures it a little better. The Wanderings leather is smooth on the outside and rough (raw?) on the inside, and unsealed on the edges.

The Wanderings book comes with three blank inserts; with the Travelers starter kit you only get one. The Wanderings insert paper is not bad, especially considering the price: pleasant to write on, no feathering, and little to no show-through with fine nibs. Kon-Peki from a medium nib did bleed through some. Midori paper is my favorite, and I think it's superlative, but if I could only use the Wanderings paper inserts I think I'd still be happy.

I was given a Wanderings notebook and like it very much. I use Travelers inserts in it now because I like the Midori paper a little better.

- Aaron