Polycone Caps For Noodler's Ink: Anyone Interested?

JonB55198

Polycone Caps for Noodler's Ink Bottles  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How many would you commit to buying?

Hello FPN,

Back in 2011 I sold some Polycone caps for the 1oz and 3oz Noodler's ink bottles. These caps have a flexible polymer cone that seals to the lip of the jar better than the standard paper insert caps that come with the inks. Furthermore, the outer edge of the cap is ribbed and the caps are made of what feels to be a thicker, more sturdy plastic.

At the time, these things sold out in 5 days. I know many of you didn't get to get some. I was thinking about placing another wholesale order with the manufacturer. But, I'd have to order a pretty significant quantity. Before I attempt this cash outlay, I wanted to gauge interest. So, kindly answer the poll herein only if you are serious about buying and using these caps to help preserve your Noodler's ink.

Of course, like I did before, I would donate 10% to FPN for being a gracious host and providing this wonderful forum where we can discuss our love of fountain pens. I haven't decided on pricing yet. But, the previous pricing structure was:

• 5 for $5.00
  • 10 for $9.00
  • 15 for $12.50
  • 20 for $15.00

The price may be slightly different this time around depending on what I can get them for wholesale. But probably not vastly different. Also, This time, I will be offering them at higher quantities of 25, 50, 75 and 100 as well as the above mentioned smaller quantities of 5, 10, 15 and 20. Please let me know and I'll get to work on this. Also, any comments would be welcomed below. Thanks for your time.

post-52788-0-58308100-1486586123.jpg

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• mhguda

• GardenWeasel

• Ayami_109

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it looks like a few of you are interested. So I'm going to wait a few more days before I place an order with the manufacturer and probably get a couple hundred. That way I can keep some on hand if people want more in the future. Of course, I'm going to use quite a few of these for my own ink collection too :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

• 2 weeks later...

Please keep us posted with this!

I know it'll take me forever to use up my Noodlers inks so these caps sound really handy.

I voted for 5 caps but i only have two bottles. Will these fit other ink bottles? Or will there be an option to purchase fewer than 5?

I only saw this now, but I'm definitely interested. Hopefully you could keep shipping costs reasonable, seeing these things should be relatively unbulky and light. I'm wondering about their size, too. Would they fit bottles with slightly larger caps? Like P.R., Quink, and KWZ? In which case I would be looking more at buying 50 or more...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I only saw this now, but I'm definitely interested. Hopefully you could keep shipping costs reasonable, seeing these things should be relatively unbulky and light. I'm wondering about their size, too. Would they fit bottles with slightly larger caps? Like P.R., Quink, and KWZ? In which case I would be looking more at buying 50 or more...

Bottle caps have kinda weird sizing. I ran into this a couple of years ago when I was looking for the best price on bottles to decant some vintage inks (an 8 oz. bottle of Quink Violet, and a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock). A lot of the places I looked at online sold the caps separately from the bottles, and I think you had to figure the inner diameter and (possibly the threading size or height as well). Then you had to price out the different caps themselves -- plain ones, ones with foam inserts, and ones like JonB55198 is talking about, as well as eyedropper caps (like what Noodler's uses for the 4-1/2 oz bottles).

That was in *addition* to figuring out the size(s) of the bottles themselves (as well as the shape), and what color glass I wanted (much as I loved the cobalt glass, I couldn't justify the extra cost over amber glass on Boston rounds...).

And I wasn't buying in the economies of scale that would have brought the prices down -- I needed about a dozen of the 3 oz. bottles and about a half dozen or so of the 4 oz. ones. Not 1000 bottle cases....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Please keep us posted with this!

I know it'll take me forever to use up my Noodlers inks so these caps sound really handy.

I voted for 5 caps but i only have two bottles. Will these fit other ink bottles? Or will there be an option to purchase fewer than 5?

You can definitely purchase fewer than 5. I know they also fit cross ink bottles. I"m not sure which others are the same diameter.

I need to find a supplier that has the ones that fit larger bottles like PR. I have a pretty big PR collection that I'd like to cap with these as well. I'll let you know if I find these that will fit the PR and larger bottles.

Bottle caps have kinda weird sizing. I ran into this a couple of years ago when I was looking for the best price on bottles to decant some vintage inks (an 8 oz. bottle of Quink Violet, and a 3/4 full pint bottle of Skrip Peacock). A lot of the places I looked at online sold the caps separately from the bottles, and I think you had to figure the inner diameter and (possibly the threading size or height as well). Then you had to price out the different caps themselves -- plain ones, ones with foam inserts, and ones like JonB55198 is talking about, as well as eyedropper caps (like what Noodler's uses for the 4-1/2 oz bottles).

That was in *addition* to figuring out the size(s) of the bottles themselves (as well as the shape), and what color glass I wanted (much as I loved the cobalt glass, I couldn't justify the extra cost over amber glass on Boston rounds...).

And I wasn't buying in the economies of scale that would have brought the prices down -- I needed about a dozen of the 3 oz. bottles and about a half dozen or so of the 4 oz. ones. Not 1000 bottle cases....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Luckily I've done this a few times so I know which sizes to buy :-). I know it can be confusing.

I need to find a supplier that has the ones that fit larger bottles like PR. I have a pretty big PR collection that I'd like to cap with these as well. I'll let you know if I find these that will fit the PR and larger bottles.

This is slightly confusing. Are you talking about getting two different sizes or just one that will fit the P.R. bottle and can be cut to also fit the Noodler's?

This is slightly confusing. Are you talking about getting two different sizes or just one that will fit the P.R. bottle and can be cut to also fit the Noodler's?

The bottle cap would have to be a different size to fit the PR bottles. Now that I think about it, which size bottle of PR ink would you like a cap for? There are two sizes and they use two different size caps actually. I can measure for both since I have both in my collection.

Well, I have about ten of the smaller size and four (I think, could be a few more) of the newer, larger size (66ml vs 60ml?); the larger 66ml bottle cap also seems to be the size of the two extra-large bottles. My problem is the labels don't state the volume of ink - and of course I no longer have the boxes they came in... The older, smaller bottles I'm pretty sure were 60ml. IIRC those were my first online ink purchases ever. Before P.R., fountainpen ink was only bought in an office-supply store, locally. After, I'll buy ink wherever they have colors I like and the shipping is reasonable...