Diamine Grey

visvamitra

Gray is tricky. In order to be truly gray, it shouldn't carry a discernible tint of color - otherwise it would be that color in a low saturation, and no longer gray. Diamine 'Grey' is a cool (rather than warm) color but, to my eye at least, doesn't read as blue. (Although on this monitor, the image above my comment comes dangerously close, I don't see it as blue in real life.). Also, gray can be misread as a watered down or faded black, without distinction. Diamine 'Grey' avoids these pitfalls; it's a true, intentional gray.

That's Callifolio Gris de Payne, not Diamine Grey.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patrick L

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• Manalto

Nice review and sample. You really made me consider buying some diamine grey next time I order some ink.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

I really like this one. "Neutral" is the best word IMO. Still, a hint of blue but that's mild enough here. A lot of others are greener or even more blue, which is also fine. I use it a lot more than their "Graphite" (which I however also like). But as you say, for those in love of a "purer" grey, this one ought to do. Thanks for the review, Vis!

Mike

Interesting. Another great review, Vis.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 years later...

This turned into more a paper review with gray inks. And if there is a woolly line. I see so many ink reviews with a woolly line to feathering that is is ignored as a factor.

I do like a nice clean line, matching nib shape, to ink and paper.

Pelikan stub and '82-97 nibs leave a nice clean line, if the ink and paper do their parts. The new '98-now double ball Pelikan nibs do not leave a clean line.

I don't know enough about than German brands and not enough on modern end of '90's-now MB, Diplomat/Bock nibs nibs to say much.

A fine poster offered me some ink, and I had put a box with ink samples...up on a library shelf and forgot it, in plain sight. I put it down on my desk...a new desk wish more storage on the two levels. There was some Diamine gray ink, and I had Lamy Agage inked.

On normal copy paper Diamine Gray showed no shading and a woolly line.

Lamy Crystal Agate was on copy paper in a Lamy M nib, too light. It is a dry ink. In a Pelikan 400 semi-flex OB it was dark enough for me. It is a dry ink, dryer than 4001 BB.

I do use a honking big and thick magnifying glass to check out woolly line, so the woolly line is not noticeable when one is sitting. Brought up to the bare eye  might or might not be...only when I go OCD nit picking with the magnifying glass,  is it seen. 

I pulled out some of my better papers.

Papers make such a difference. I will be keeping this set of papers for my gray inks, in I have a couple more, and give my self a better comparison.

In shading was no where as good as Visvamitra's examples, it could well be the ink sat too long and part of it evaporated. If that shading is normal, that the is the case.

from good to best.

Clairalfa 120 paper.

Diamine gray in an M nib, a touch of woolly line, not much shading.

Lamy Agate, Pelikan 400 semi-flex OB....a very dry ink, no woolly line. Some shading.

Herbin Stormy Gray, glitter ink. a nice shade of gray... No shading, and have to til the paper for the glitter. If so a very little woolly line. done with a regular flex/Japanese soft Pelikan 200 nib.

MB Permanent gray....dark, could pass for black, no shading, light woolly line with a semi-flex M...Least liked, too dark.

DA Zement grau, semi-flex M nib, shading, woolly line. On this papeer Agate is first, Zement is second.

Papyrus 100g color copy.

Diamine gray is a bit woolly, not much shading.

Lamy Agate, in an OB semi-flex nib, it is a dry ink, no woolly line. Shades, medium.

Herbin Story Gray, no shading, have to tilt the page for glitter, no woolly line. A tad dark.

MB Permanent Gray, near black, no shading, under magnification, a small woolly line.

DA Zement grau, some shading, some small woolly line.

I don't like any of the Brunner papers but the M&K sub-brand.

This the now 95g office paper, it was before 95g typewriter paper.

Shades very little; better than the above two papers. No Woolly line.

Lamy Agate, semi-flex Ob, very dry, some to good  shading, more than the above papers. No woolly line.

The best of these papers, Mondi 100g color copy.

Diamine Gray, in a M nib. Not much shading, no wooly line, A smooth feeling paper.

Lamy Crystal Agate, Pelikan 400 semi-flex OB, dry ink, good shading, no woolly line.

Herbin Stormy Gray, a bit of shading, not woolly line.Have to tilt the sheet looking for glitter. Regular flex M nib.

MB Permanent gray, too black. no shading, no woolly line.

DA Zementgrau, some shading, very little if, any woolly line.

MB Permanent gray, goes back into the ink storage box., should be sold.

So I'm now  7 over my limit of seven pens...and five in gray.

Herbin Stormy Gray (for glitter), Lamy Crystal Agate being so dry, and DA Zementgrau need to be looked at in OBB semi-flex nibs....and B regular flex.

There is a difference in wetness between semi-flex and regular flex that really affects shading.

Agate is dry enough I think to handle OBB semi-flex...I don't have any BB semi-flex.

Come down to it, I do have a maxi-semi-flex Pelikan 500 OBBB in 30 degree grind....that needs an ink to get it out of the box. The problem is with that pen, my 15 letter legal name signature takes 2/3rds-3/4ths of a page.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To add to the grays.....got back here a tad late to edit with a replacement.

Diamine Silver Fox

Make that 5 grays, a gray was out and hiding in plain sight.

From good to best papers.

Clairalfa 120 paper.....it never lived up to my hopes....It can end up in a printer if I run out of printer paper and I won't miss it.

Diamine Silver Fox regular flex M, nice shading, no woolly line. Lighter than Diamine gray, between it and Lamy Agate which shades a bit more.

Papyrus 100g color copy.

Diamine Silver Fox, nice shading, regular flex M which is often better for dhaing than semi-flex, and no woolly line. a tad more 'blue' than Agate, color between Diamine gray and Lamy agate.

Diamine Silver Fox, a bit light, M regular flex nib. some shading, no woolly line, lighter than Diamine gray, a bit daker than Lamy Agate. agate shades more.

The best of these papers, Mondi 100g color copy....cost the most too.

Diamine silver Fox, M regular flex nib. More shading, no woolly line, as before lighter than Diamine Gray. darkter than Gaage. Agae shades more.

Diamine Silver Fox has edged out DA Zement grau for second place, perhaps Agate for first in Diamine Silver fox is not Death Valley dry.  Or a tie. More shading for very dry.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.