What's Your Most Recent Addition To The Flock In 2017?

daenghafez

Oh, I totally understand.

At the beginning of my collecting days (not that long ago), I went mostly for Japanese fines and EFs. But then I discovered Pelikan and inks and I can't help myself: I mostly buy from B up, if I can choose. It does make it a bit harder to do math, but I don't care: I love to see a pool of Sailor Yama-dori or Akkerman shocking blue that came out of a pelikan OBB nib :D.

As for the nibs, you're right. If you want something with a bit more character, you need to go back to the 1990's or earlier - lovely nibs they had back then. The 140, from the 1950-60s (I think) sometimes can be had for a very good price and have some lovely nibs.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• daenghafez

• chromantic

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I forgot to mention... this was in the case...

fpn_1488262947__pel.jpg

Pelikan 100N CN fine [...]

:)

Nice and grey! I'm waiting for one too.

But... you changed a OBB nib for a F nib!!! Heresy!! :)

Indeed!

Meanwhile, my two recent Pelikans replaced the whole flock of Swans as daily writers.

http://i.imgur.com/OkpVOHp.jpg

Pelikan 100 (?1942-44), old sweet and soft K

Pelikan 400 (?1954-56), (customised) soft oblique

& Diamine Registrar's

Oh, I forgot to mention... this was in the case... fpn_1488262947__pel.jpg

Pelikan 100N CN fine. Not the most spectacular of nibs (I swapped an OBB for this fine nib on the assumption that the OBB would get no use. I may regret that later).

Anyway, my first ever Pelikan. Never thought I would ever even see one, let alone own one. Massive risk for me. I really like the form factor here. When posted it is most comfortable. Too small un-posted of course.

:)

Very nice. Hope you grow to love them as much as some of the rest of us do. And don't worry about the nibs... needles and paintbrushes all have a place :D

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

M805 Stresemann; a darker grey than it tends to look in the ads, but very pretty nonetheless.

Uninked as yet... might replace my favourite blue striped M800 with broad stub Minuskin nib in the rotation when it runs empty... but I might just refill and make myself wait.

Glenn.

Mine is the same as the one in Birchtine's post, not really grey - I just suck at photography. The other difference is that I don't have a nice nib like theirs. Looking into buying another (yeah, I know). Thinking either one from Rick Propas, even though twice the price I paid for the one I show, or a modern M101N - as it is the same size, though even pricier.

I only really mention the modern pen because of my exceptionally poor luck in getting nice vintage nibs in any pen. I doubt Pelikan will be much different in this respect for me.

Here's a writing sample - not in my normal style of writing though. fpn_1488360504__pelsample.jpg

Better colour representation of the pen. fpn_1488360557__pel100n.jpg

EoC, if you look for really flexible nibs, Pelikan probably is not the best choice, unless you are extremely lucky from what I can read online. Other than that, there are some German sellers with better prices for restored pens and gold 100N nibs seem rather nice anyway. I'd consider the 400s or older M400; similar nibs, slightly longer and with even more room for ink.

Edited by birchtine

I get that, and it's interesting that people talk about the apparent flexibility of Pelikan nibs yet on the site of Rick Propas most of the nibs seem to require moderate to firm pressure. It may be that my own understanding of flexibility in this context is biased because I use dip pens, which of course are hugely more flexible than any fountain pen nib. However, I do like the springiness of this nib, but would have preferred a longer tine, finer gold version.

Incidentally, the FA nib on my Pilot 912 is softer in feel. A true semi-flex in my book.

Regarding prices of Pelikan vintage pens: looking around on the internet (the only option I have) I note no real consensus. As I do not really know anyone in the pen world this makes buying such pens quite a risky undertaking, unless I am prepared to pay the very high premium of a recognised seller.

I think we agree that there are two ways of understanding the flexibility. The most prevalent is the flexibility measured by the significant or even dramatic line variation achieved through the spread of tines regardless of the amount of pressure applied. The other one, which I rather support, and I believe you too, is the ease you achieve the minimal or modest line variation with a light stroke, where less pressure needed means greater flexibility. The problem is that people rarely mention how much force you need to spread the tines and even when they do a 'light touch' means different things to different people. I have my own criteria but its a subject for another thread.

I have just received a similar 100N with a CN nib and it has a strange feeling to it. Don't you think? I agree about the 'softness'. Even my Pilot Elabo felt softer and less bouncy. I'm not sure if I like it, however, I'm going to use it and see how it goes.

I do agree on the flexibility. The degree of line variation of a given nib is, to me, significantly less important than the ease by which the nib flexes - even if it only varies the line by a modest amount. That soft sensual feel on the paper is what I am looking for (at times, mostly I just don't look, too frustrating), and if it comes with hairlines at non-flexed base then I am happy.

As for the CN nib... well, I have no other vintage nibs to compare, so I couldn't really comment. It feels okay to me, but just okay.

The red and black new-style M150 EF arrived today. Appears to be in excellent condition, flushed it and now just trying to decide on an ink.

I've really developed a fondness for these little 150s.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Just received a brand new Pelikano UP in anthracite finish, medium nib. I know, not as cool as the 100's we've been looking at, but hey, it's my "most recent". Nice looking little school pen.

Too busy this weekend to play with it and take pics but plan to try to mini-review it next week.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

A Pelikan M430 circa 1999 w/ an 18C-750 broad nib picked up at this past weekend's Baltimore pen show.

fpn_1489023077__img_1535.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I bought the black M150 EF pyotrkot was selling, should be here next week.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Latest is an M200 Marbled Green with a .7mm cursive italic by Linda at Indy-Pen-Dance.

Very, very nice.

Hi all !

I have acquired mid 50's OM & OB nibs for my M400 N pen.

That OM is a semi-flex nib, a fun writer.

I ll try to add pictures later.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

I thought of starting a new topic for 2017 since we are already in February 2017. I have just acquired its cap & nib after procuring the pen barrel. This pen was discussed earlier here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316491-mystery-model-pelikan/

Personally I would prefer a black captop & single tone yellow gold nib, may be an M415 nib to complement with this pen. Perhaps one day..

Pen has not been inked yet & I will remain as is together with the other two M600 siblings.

Here goes the complete pen..

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_2723_zpshjkplvkl.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_2725_zpswsjdqvdo.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_2726_zpshdbhfy4k.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_2728_zpsxh3iwfpi.jpg

Enjoy..

Best regards

Daeng

oh, this one is very nice indeed :thumbup:

-rudy-

Currently waiting for M625 red & LE Daedalus Icarus. Will post photos once received both. 😀

Currently waiting for M625 red & LE Daedalus Icarus. Will post photos once received both. 😀

Just received the M625 red with the latest silver captop logo. The dark red barrel is barely translucent unlike the purple M625 aubergine below. Now patiently waiting for the Icarus.

Here are some photos of the M625 red.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_3556_zpsz153rxgd.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_3557_zpsczq2gwel.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_3558_zpseceevivj.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/IMG_3559_zpsmlrjn4uv.jpg