What's Your Most Recent Addition To The Flock In 2017?

daenghafez

I learn something new every day. Today's new fact is that the small pen stands came in different sizes for different size model pens. I have two: a gold metallic one that I picked up a few years ago at a pen show, and a slightly larger white one that was my Christmas treat to myself last winter when I was in Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC. I just thought that the white stand was a slightly newer one, and therefore slightly larger.

I'd love to get one of the blue glazed ones, but I'm not willing to pay the prices that are being asked for them these days (I mean, I'm not paying more than I paid for the the other two -- combined... :( and I've paid less than that for decent pens).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth,

I was referring to the holders in the desk set (which is what I thought BillH asked), not the little pelican stands. The little pelican stands are "universal", in the sense that all Pelikan pens fit in them.

I agree with you that the prices for the little stands are too much. I want the gold and blue ones, but there is no way I'll pay $250 for them, as the sellers want nowadays. I have paid less than that for brand new M800s (with a bottle of Edelstein)! But, I can wait ;) .

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• daenghafez

• chromantic

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand the discussion of oblique nibs. It sounds as though line variation may be expected from the obliqueness of the nib. Line variation comes from nibs that are stubbed, italicized, or flexible, not from being oblique. Oblique merely rolls the nib to one side. The three nib types that give line variation will produce the wider line descending. With an oblique, the wider line will be on a diagonal to the side the nib is canted. if a nib is round, the line will be uniform. If a round nib is oblique, it will still give a uniform line. It will do it, however, with the nib canted.

Correct. But as the cant tô one side is different than my normal nibs, it changes the appearance of my writing somewhat. Especially with the OBB. So: when going up in size from a M to B then BB, rather than just a circle swelling in size/forth evenly, it now develops an oblong shape (unrelated to the "oblique-ness," Just due to size). With the angling tô one side that is an Oblique, the angle of attack to the paper changed as well. Rather than the nib producing a wider line on a downstroke perpendicular to the base line and a narrow cross-stroke parallel to the base line, it produces (in this case) a narrow stroke of an obtuse angle to the line (ex, lower left to upper right) and a wider written line at an acute angle to the base line (upper left to lower right). Assuming that I'm not changing the way I'm writing, but simply rotating the pen/nib in my normal grip to better suit this nib then it changes the result slightly.

Ex: In this case I experience more width on cross strokes rather than as usual on down strokes. Curves widen at a slightly different place than normal.

These, however are just what I have noticed with the OBB nibs which may differ somewhat from others have experienced (or my interpretation of my observations may be incorrect). Also, as I mentioned I have adjusted the two OBB nibs' performance to better suit me (making wetter, adjusting relationship to feed) and have yet to use the other two. I can see the OM not changing much, but the OB may prove to be interesting for me.

Also of note, I very rarely write with the pen held so that the cross stroke from the nib is perfectly parallel to the base line I'm writing on. Most of the time holding my pen at something of an angle to the line, closer to that as I also tend to angle the paper as well. So my rotating the nib slightly may produce a more noticeable effect for me than for others.

Any further questions on this please PM me, as I do not wish to get further off topic in this thread. I very much enjoy seeing and reading about everyone's new additions/acquisitions. :) 👍

Most of my oblique nibs do not have round tips--perhaps they should be called oblique stubs--I get good line variation out of them, but not as much as with an italic, of course.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Most of my oblique nibs do not have round tips--perhaps they should be called oblique stubs--I get good line variation out of them, but not as much as with an italic, of course.

Precisely 😄

Interesting, as I had read Pelikan makes very rounded obliques, as opposed to Montblanc for example. Stubby obliques are my absolute favorite nibs and I thoroughly love mine on Lamy 2K.

Just one more off-topic post: I have only one factory oblique, a Montblanc. It is incredibly round, and very oblique. To write with it, you must roll the nib virtually 90 degrees to the left. Then it writes beautifully, smooth as glass. Pelikan is not the only manufacturer of round obliques.

Just one more off-topic post: I have only one factory oblique, a Montblanc. It is incredibly round, and very oblique. To write with it, you must roll the nib virtually 90 degrees to the left. Then it writes beautifully, smooth as glass. Pelikan is not the only manufacturer of round obliques.

I think you're the one whos posts I've read that inspired me to try them out. Thank you for that.

• 3 weeks later...

My thanks to Shawn Newton and Greg Minuskin. I'm very happy with this one!

fpn_1506724959__my_custom_copper_pelikan

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks! I'm liking it a lot.

I think you need a Minuskin stub too, from a B :P

Yep, that is the plan!

Already have the Ocean Swirl coming with a B which I intend to send him. Might send another B for an italic too :) .

^^ BillH - That is a lovely pen! And the ink is a perfect match for it. Grats!

I have an M405 Stresemann EF on the way, which gave me the excuse I'd been looking for to finally order a bottle of Take-sumi. Hoping the combo turns out as felicitous as yours.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I've preordered the M605 Transparent White which will be my first Souveran. I had a tough time deciding between an M800 and an M600 but I got to try both at the Pelikan meet and the 600 size fit my hand way better.

I remember my first Pelikan was a 400nn I bought in December 2013 that was unfortunately sold to me with a cracked nib. It barely lasted a couple of weeks before it became unusable. The nib has been switched though and it should be making its way to me in December this year, so it will be a nice little Christmas present.

My only other Pelikan is a nice little black M200 made between 1985 and '89 which I bought used. It's a lovely dependable writer.

A newly acquired Pelikan M100 with fine nib.

Those are sweet little pens. Even though I have many other choices available the M100 is still called on occasionally. Enjoy it, it will serve you well.

I won't have it in hand until Wednesday to really go over it but I may have found a rather special bird if it checks out;

fpn_1507599171__ag519a.jpg

A Pelikan 100N with gray/black binde, cork piston, and nickel trim. Probably late 30s/early 40s. 14K gold fine nib. Can't wait to have it in hand because if it turns out to be as advertised, it may indeed be a more rare find.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

^^ What a beauty, sarge! Just wow.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Quite gorgeous. Will be anxious to hear and to see more pictures.