The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook 2556 Nib

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pichak

Pichak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:05

I have just got my first Esterbrook for several months. It is a SJ model with 2556 nib. The 2556 nib is very smooth but it has a narrow sweet spot. If I hold the pen with little bit wrong angle it will be scratchy. Is it normal to the 2556 nib or my nib has something wrong?

Sponsored Content

#2 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:23

The 2556 has no tipping material - the writing point is made by folding the steel tip over on itself. It's quite possible this would narrow the sweet spot as there's no ball of iridium to roll over onto as you rotate the tip.

It's also possible your tines are out of alignment. Have you checked them?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#3 Pichak

Pichak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:18

mariom,

Thank you for the information. It make me surprise to know that the 2556 nib has no tip point because it is very smooth nib.

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 18:26

As mentioned, these nibs don't have true tipping.  The other thing is that they were known to wear out quicker than the 9xxx nibs under heavy use.  I have some really great 2xxx nibs, including a really nice 2556.  

If the nib on your pen has seen a lot of use, it's likely been worn in to the bias of the writer who used it most.  Finding a new, uninked nib, or one that hasn't been used a lot, will likely give you a better impression.

#5 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Grandpa T's desk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2017 - 20:26

Andersen Pens has a nice selection of nibs. Here is a 2556 for $10.

http://www.andersonp...&show=15&page=2

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resl.png

#6 seanruss

seanruss

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 13:52

i have gotten some pens with 2556 nibs where it is one of my best writing nibs/pens, and other times i have gotten pens where it was completely unwriteable.  just depends how heavily it was used i guess

#7 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 19:48

I have several newish 2xxx and 1xxx nibs, and they have an interesting construction.

The tip as mentioned is folded. But there is some kind of material that is put onto the tip of the nib, to make it look like tipping.

The "problem" is that "tipping" is then FLATTENED.  By this what I mean is a flat spot is put onto the tip of the nib.  To see what I mean, look at the tip of the nib with a 10x loupe.  The problem is, if you do not write with the pen at an angle so that you write level on the flat spot of the nib, you will be writing on the sharp edge of that flat spot.  Sharp edge = scratchy writing.

I have started to replace the nib on some of my Esterbrooks with a modern generic nib that has a BALL tip.  These are MUCH smoother to write with. 

Caution, surgery on the nib assembly has the risk that you could damage or destroy the nib collar.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

|