Abditus Or Dialog 3?

Leon

I'm in the market for a new fountain pen, specifically a big, wacky, eye-catching one. I've narrowed it down to two options: the Franklin-Christoph Abditus (model 33) or the Lamy Dialog 3.

Anyone have any input about which one I should spring for? Some preliminary internet-ing has brought up some lukewarm reviews of the Dialog 3: it sounds like some people have found that the pen dries up easily. However, I've also noticed that most of these reviews are from about five years ago, while more recent ones specifically say that they have not had this problem. The other common theme among reviews is the size and weight, which are non-issues for me because I prefer heftier pens.

Reviews for the Abditus are a little harder to come by, it seems, but everything I've seen has been uniformly positive.

I already own three Franklin-Christophs and four Lamys, so I have some experience with both brands. I'm not expecting any surprises when it comes to nib performance or anything like that. But I'd be interested to hear any thoughts people might have about aesthetics, utility, etc.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leon

• SpecTP

• Jackson

• dapprman

Top Posters In This Topic

There are currently m33s available right now. Weight for me is currently the biggest factor on buying a pen, and with Franklin Christoph there's always the option of the fantastic Masuyama nibs. I'd go with that.

"Oh deer."

there's likely to be more Dialog 3 than Abditus 33 available.

True. The reason I'm asking now is that this is one of the rare windows of opportunity where model 33s are actually available from Franklin-Christoph, at least as of the time of this posting.

I'd go with the F-C, but then part of the draw for me are the Masuyama & SIG nibs. The 33 is an...interesting design.

I vote for the Abditus :) It's unique, but still has enough classical styling to be timeless. I've never been a fan of the Lamy nib shape, they write fine but just don't look "right" to me... And having sent my F-C Bellus back for some warranty work recently, I can not say enough good things about Franklin-Christoph's customer service! I have been arguing with myself over this exact choice for some time, and was about to pull the trigger on a Abditus when I found a MB149 that I couldn't pass up...as soon as the sting of that purchase abates, I'll be ordering an Abditus

Dialog 3: +1 for design, + 1 for engineering, +1 for the "neato" factor -> 3

Abditus: +1 for design, + 1 for quality, +1 for customer service, +1 for nib options, +1 for family business -> 5

Also, the Creme'/black/cinnamaroon Abditus will be back in stock soon...they are in production right now...

-ParkerNT

Edited by ParkerNT

As FPN's resident Dialog 3 fangirl, I say go for the Lamy. The sleek design with the airplane engine-shaped end will earn a unique place in your pen collection. Lamy updated the inner mechanism to prevent the drying issue with the piano finishes; however, you'll want to be wary of the older editions since some of them may perform poorly. It's also rather heavy and large, and not really suitable for longer writing sessions. I own a piano black Dialog 3 and it's one of my most cherished pens, though I wish I'd gotten a bigger nib.

you'll want to be wary of the older editions since some of them may perform poorly.

Thanks for the info. Is the palladium Dialog 3 a new edition or an old one?

Thanks for the info. Is the palladium Dialog 3 a new edition or an old one?

Palladium D3 has an updated version,too.

Edited by Tientze

As FPN's resident Dialog 3 fangirl, I say go for the Lamy. The sleek design with the airplane engine-shaped end will earn a unique place in your pen collection. Lamy updated the inner mechanism to prevent the drying issue with the piano finishes; however, you'll want to be wary of the older editions since some of them may perform poorly. It's also rather heavy and large, and not really suitable for longer writing sessions. I own a piano black Dialog 3 and it's one of my most cherished pens, though I wish I'd gotten a bigger nib.

All for the last few years have been the new version. On the non-piano finish models the easiest way to tell is to unscrew the barrel and look at how the converter is mounted. If there's an ink view window then it's the new type. There are other ways of telling, I just can't remember them.

I like my Dialog 3, but it can feel a little wide, though it is well balanced. The FC-33 looks the other way round, slightly thin, so if you have a preference over width then you may want to consider that. Just compared my FC-66 Stablis with my Dialog 3 and I'd say the width of the FS barrel (not grip) is about the same as the whole width of the Lamy.

Both my Abditus (medium italic Masuyama) and my Dialog III (piano, medium) ran dry/started hard with various Waterman and Diamine inks. Respective problems delightfully fixed by Iroshizuku take-sumi in the LAMY and Levenger TrueTeal in the F-C.

Thank you for your input, all. The verdict: I had my finger poised over the mouse to buy the Abditus when I realized that the look of it when it is uncapped is only mildly appealing to me (as opposed to its capped look, which I love). There's nothing like spending $300 to help put your tastes and preferences into focus! So... the Dialog 3 it is.