Verdura - Rohrer & Klingner

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner operates since 1892. At the moment it's the fifth generation of the family that manages the company. I guess that after 122 years they know what they are doing.

R&K inks offer amazing quality for amazing price. In my country a bnottle of R&K ink costs 5-6 $. I know it's a bit more expensive in America, yet I believe the price is still reasonable.

I find it interesting that Rohrer & Klingner seems to focus mainly on the content and not on the bottles. Inks come in industrial looking bottle taht is quite handy but there's just nothing fancy about it. It's surprising.

http://www.rohrer-klingner.de/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/schreibtinte_top_03.jpg

Anyway they offer eighteen colors, some stunning, some boring but all have good qualities and are easy to clean.

1. Alt-bordeaux
  2. Alt-Goldgrun
  3. Blu Mare
  4. Blue Permanent
  5. Cassia
  6. Fernambuc
  7. Helianthus
  8. Leipziger-Schwarz
  9. Magenta
  10. Morinda
  11. Royal Blue
  12. Salix
  13. Scabiosa
  14. Sepia
  15. Smaragdgrun
  16. Solferino
  17. Verdigris
  18. Verdura

It's time to re-review this inks.

fpn_1486325499__verdura_bottle.jpg

I never liked Verdura and time didn't change it. I used to think it was ok ink and I guess it's still ok but I practically never use it. There's nothing wrong with the ink - it's well behaved and shades and all. It's just the hue doesn't appeal to me.

fpn_1486325484__verdura_is.jpg

The dry time is medium length, reaching 15 seconds when the ink is used in wet nib on paper like Rhodia. It lacks water resistance but cleans nicely from the pen. Some feathering may be experienced on crappy paper (Moleskine and alikes).

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1486325491__verdura_rkk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1486325638__verdura_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1486325656__verdura_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Lamy 2000, medium nib

fpn_1486325672__verdura_t_1.jpg

fpn_1486325692__verdura_t_2k.jpg

fpn_1486325709__verdura_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Skyline Sport, double broad

fpn_1486325745__verdura_l_1.jpg

fpn_1486325762__verdura_l_2.jpg

fpn_1486325782__verdura_l_5.jpg

Clairefontaine, Kaweco Skyline Sport, broad

fpn_1486325808__verdura_cl.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1486325822__verdura_h2o.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Bo Bo Olson

• lgsoltek

• CrispyBacon_87

Vis - thanks for your work!

Verdura - no thanks!!

Sidenote: in my northern Adriatic dialect the term verdura is used for green leafy vegetables - but I am sure this is not what R&K had in mind when naming the ink.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thank you.

Be generally found that the Rohrer and klingner inks tend to feather on normal paper sheets other inks may not

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Thank you Vis for your great reviews! I appreciate your candor. While you abhor blue-greens, these are some of my favorite. My Verdura seems a bit less "blue" than yours. I love Verdura as it is a wonderful early summer green, like newly mowed lawn. To me it is rather refreshing. And Smaragdgrun is one of those lovely emerald greens that I love - in the vein of Montblanc Irish Green and Callifolio Teodora to name a few.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

The shading looks good, but this is not a green I like. Thanks for the review though -- seeing inks I don't want is as useful as seeing ones I do. And better for my bottom line.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I actually like this green, and I bought a bottle of it after trying out a sample. My sample is very slightly bluish-green, but compared to the other medium greens I've tried, it's a middle-of-the-road hue. It behaves very nicely in my Lamy Safari.

Vis, each time I see this color, I think, oh, Vis will hate this. At least it cleans out well.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For years I read how expensive C d'A inks were. So never looked for any. When they changed. I did and it was cheap in Europe. I was listening to the one in the States.....I could have had many more bottles had I known that.

Mail is gold in the States.....perhaps the most expensive in the world in Congress took the bribes from Fed Ex and USP to screw over the post office. Which had to come up for all the pensions from before and future all at once. The US mail is not allowed by law to bribe congress like UPS and Fed Ex.

So postage from Germany is affordable from me mailing here and it was cheaper to pay extra for Airline extra weight than use US Mail to Germany. Even books don't get rebate like before.

So do check what postage is to the states from R&K.

I had some samples from Gmund and some good to better other papers, I did ink samples on, in a folder. Nothing real organized, just a line of that ink...with any nib marked that had it.

Once when newer I was OCD, to want to do 8 nibs on 5-7 papers. That was a lot of cleaning of ink pens.....took all the fun out of it.

So I did tests of papers...the better papers got more lines of more inks written on them.

In Green-green shading inks. (I don't count dark, or murky in green-green. so of the 13 or so green/greenish inks only three are green-green. The rest are somewhere off the wall.)

R&K Verdura (50ml)(@E7.00) beats MB Irish (60ml) (@E13)by a nose, beats Pelikan 4001(30ml) (@E4) by a neck. I find all three to be quite good inks, in spite of some who hate the color.

All are good shading green inks. They don't feather or bleed through.

Pelikan is not quite as cheap as it looks (About R&K prices), and MB not as quite as expensive as feared....well got to pay for the pretty bottle. :rolleyes:

I am very happy I made a mistake and ordered two bottles of Verdura.

Some folks it seems don't like a green-green inks. Perhaps they like dark greens. There are many.

I found DA Moss Green to be a bit more bright spring time than the expected darker summer time moss. I don't dislike it. I just need to see it with a different wider nib. I have after I got the ink looked at moss in the spring....and it's spring Moss.

Any of Sandy1's :notworthy1: ink reviews will show you nib width and paper will make a huge difference.

I might use better papers than some, in to me R&K are not feathering inks like Diamine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.