The Petrol Safari

ParkerDuofold

I think that building a collection of Lamys is a very sound investment.

One can skip the yukky colors, which, in the past few years, seemed to be "lets make as much variations of yellow and green as possible".

This year's colors and Lx are grown up colors that can be used with classy inks.

I want Lamy to re-issue the matte light gray Safari, with the dark clip, it was very nice looking and they could do a wonderful job with a limited edition gray ink, which is -not- easy to make.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Astronymus

• pajaro

• attika89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received my Petrol Safari today. The color is quite dark. Almost blue black with a twist of the yellowy green seen in oil. Other renditions recently in clothing have been lighter and brighter. It is decent looking and more adult looking as stated above. The casual nature and bright colors usually in these pens are one of their charms. This Petrol is sufficiently oddball in color as to fit in with the rest of the Safaris. The black extra fine nib on my pen is the smoothest black EF nib I have had on one of these pens. Usually they need adjustment. Not this one. It is superb. For the money these pens have high quality.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Mine arrived today. The color is interesting. When I looked at them online, all the colors were just a little different. Mine is even more different, and I like it a lot. I inked it up and tried it out -- perfect. No problems at all.

I'm not very patient, so instead of waiting for the Petrol ink I bought a bottle of iroshizuku tsuki-yo. The color is a perfect match for the pen. I'm going to have fun writing with this one.

Here's mine:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/Arieln_photo/87348h.jpg

Quiet a nice color!

That's a beauty. I'm waiting for mine to arrive at the shop.

Received mine yesterday with (for free!) 5 petrol cartridges. This is my first Lamy Safari, I am not too fond of the grip... The color is a bit lighter than I had expected. I like the ink, which to me is very similar to R&K Verdigris (at first sight, at least, haven't compared them on paper). It is a bit darker than the pen: it's a good match IMO. It came with a F nib which I will replace by an M. Writes reaIly well, with some feedback. I ordered mine from penworld.be: very pleased about the good service and really appreciate them throwing in the cartridges for free.

I almost ordered one a minute ago. I guess I got caught up in the whole special edition thing. That's why I bought the dark lilac and I've never even inked it once. I came to my senses and realized that the Petrol just didn't do it for me. However, I did buy 4 jinhaos. I bought the x750 version with medium nibs. I'll use them solely with Noodlers ink. I bought them because they are buy one get get one until the 17th of this month. And they come with a converter. This deal makes them less expensive than the Platinum preppie

I use the Safaris for Iron Gall inks, which I love but am too much of a worrier to use in my expensive pens. KWZI Iron gall turquoise is in my Petrol--a perfect match and writes beautifully.

just arrived. Love it.

33063768764_60aeb4caf3_o.jpg

...what's next?

C (...lick).

I shoulda bought it this morning. The more I look at it the more I like it

Alright, I just bought it from Goulet. I didn't get the ink. I got Noodlers Bay State Concorde Grape in the 4.5 oz size. It comes with a free Charlie pen. I have around 20 unused Charlie pens. The LAMY pen comes with a medium nib. I added a converter.

it looks like Goldspot Pens has some petrol ink cartouches available as well as EF nibs. Ordered another one.

Holy Toledo, that ink sheen is gorgeous!

The ink sold fast, but I put in a pre-order if anymore of it comes in with Pen Chalet. If that never shows up, I may know another source where I can get it. I'll have to see if they'll come through for me again like with Dark Lilac last year.

Got something today!
http://kephost.com/images/2017/03/28/IMG_20170328_185228_069.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2017/03/28/IMG_20170328_185322_214.jpg

I received my pair a few days ago. One is a medium nib and one is a fine nib, which will be a gift.

The color was a bit darker than I expected, but I like it. I paired it with Franklin Christoph's Midnight Emerald ink, which matches almost perfectly.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hello ISW,

"Petrol" in German translates into a dark teal color, (note it is the same for De A ink of the same name).

Meanwhile, Germans refer to gasoline as "Benzene."

Hope this clarifies it for you. :)

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me :) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I have been using my Safari Petrol - fine nib , with a Petrol cartridge, for a week -10 days now...love it...right out of the box...cartridge put in, and it has been a joy to use...

Smooth nib, no skips, no hard starts, and the Pen and Ink are a really nice color...

Waiting impatiently for the Petrol bottle to arrive so I can put the ink in some different Pens/nibs.

Bill P.

Edited by Bill P

:)

- Anthony

:)

- Anthony

I have been using my Safari Petrol - fine nib , with a Petrol cartridge, for a week -10 days now...love it...right out of the box...cartridge put in, and it has been a joy to use...

Smooth nib, no skips, no hard starts, and the Pen and Ink are a really nice color...

Waiting impatiently for the Petrol bottle to arrive so I can put the ink in some different Pens/nibs.

Bill P.

Hi Bill,

Yes. I'm really enjoying my medium nibbed one, too. I hope I can snag a couple of bottles of the petrol ink as well. :)

- Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Got the pen a couple of weeks ago - great colour and I like the matte finish. Have the Dark Lilac as well and both pens look great together. Waiting for the ink now..........