The Petrol Safari

ParkerDuofold

Hello all,

I was able to order the Pacific Al-Star from Vaness... does anyone know when the Petrol Safari will be available? :unsure:

- Anthony

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Astronymus

• pajaro

• attika89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your dealer doesn't know, any other source is no more than a rumor.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Check with retailers. All of them have social media and they probably will announce it. My guess, it will probably be out in April or June.

I think that last year the Dark Lilac hit this side of the pond in late spring. Personally, I'm waiting to see what both the Petrol and and Al-star Pacifica look like up close and personal to make up my mind about whether to get one or the other (or both); I've liked the look of the Pacifica in some of the early pictures, but my (somewhat limited) experience with Al-Stars is that the edges on the section are much sharper than that of the plastic bodied Safaris. But I'm not entirely sure I like the color of the Petrol.... As opposed to last year's Dark Lilac: that was a no-brainer. Because duh, purple. B) I got compliments on that pen the other day at my car dealership, signing the paperwork and the credit card receipt for some work done on the van (recall notice was free service, but had to pay deductibles on the other stuff :o; last time I was in -- for an oil change -- I got compliments from the guy running the service bay on the pen I had *that* time, which was one of the Parker Vacumatics.... :rolleyes:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's the attractiveness of the Safari. It looks cool and youthful. Frankly, the nibs on the several that I have, EF, F, M, B, 1.5, are all about as good as the steel and gold nibs on my Pelikans and Montblancs. The nibs are very well crafted. There is little point in adding the gold nib, because it's just showing you have money to burn.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hello all,

According to the Goulets, the Petrol Safari is due out in April. :)

- Anthony

I don't think this new 'Petrol' colour shows very accurately on websites, it's one where we will have to see it in reality to make a decision.

Edited by Mike 59

Can't wait to check this one out in person when they come in at Vanness!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 3 weeks later...

The Petrol Safari will be released next month.

Well, there are a couple of dealers I check in on daily because I'm not gonna miss out on this petrol ink, (or the pen), like I did the lilac last year.

- Anthony

Is it the same pen, just a different color?

It will be the same as other Safaris (which are plastic bodies), and yes, just a different color (well, some of the Safaris have a shiny finish; sounds as if this will be a matte finish like last year's Dark Lilac LE color). It will be roughly the same size as the al-Star model, like this year's Pacific Blue LE, but lighter weight because the al-Stars are metal bodied pens (also, IMO, the grip on the al-Stars is a little less comfortable because the metal section edges are sharper.

I think I'm going to really need to see the pens (both the Petrol Safari and the Pacific Blue al-Star) in person, in order to figure out whether I want either; reports on the Pacific Blue make them sound as if the color isn't quite as photographed. When I saw photos of the Dark Lilac next to a purple al-Star, it was a no-brainer for me. Definitely the Dark Lilac. This year isn't so clear cut....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, there are a couple of dealers I check in on daily because I'm not gonna miss out on this petrol ink, (or the pen), like I did the lilac last year.

- Anthony

Petrol is already opened for pre-order in Rakuten. However, is it really finished that fast? I can still find Dark Lilac in my country and there are too many actually. :)

Can't wait for this pen to be released. I'm curious about the ink though. I hope they don't pair it with the standard Lamy BlueBlack repackaged like they did with the Pacific Blue ink and Turquoise

Petrol is already opened for pre-order in Rakuten. However, is it really finished that fast? I can still find Dark Lilac in my country and there are too many actually. :)

Thanks for the tip Miriel, I'm not so worried about the pen selling out, but the ink. Here in the States, the bottled lilac ink was completely sold out in around 4 days and the June re-stock never arrived. I'm afraid the petrol ink will prove almost as popular.

- Anthony

also, IMO, the grip on the al-Stars is a little less comfortable because the metal section edges are sharper.

Have you seen this difference noted anywhere else? I'm curious because I've tried out an Al-Star and didn't like the feel of the edges, just as you described. I'd consider getting a Safari if there really was a difference, because the pen worked well for me otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether the Petrol ink will be a new one or just a re-issue as the Pacific?

I think it's going to be a unique color since Lamy does not already offer any teal toned inks. :)

- Anthony