The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook J Demonstrator!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 21:00

This is a wonderful pen that I will most likely never manage to get my hands on:

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/112290744266

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 22:33

That really is cool.  So far, the demonstrator urge has eluded me, so I can gaze upon them without lust in my heart.   B)

#3 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,502 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 22:54

Interesting pen, absurd price (by my lights).  Is it a J, or possibly an LJ?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#4 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:10

Yikes!

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 21:26

I saw this listing last night while doing my "every now and then" search of specific Estie nibs.  While it's interesting, it is not "a price higher than a car payment" interesting....  :yikes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Komboloi

Komboloi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:28

I feel strangely comforted seeing the pen sold for that price.  It means that someone has "it" worse than I do.  It's like that feeling when someone steps in line behind you at the bank.

#7 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:24

I really like looking at a vivid ink in the pen barrel.  Hence, I love piston demonstrators.  But, 600 bucks to look at a black, rubber sac ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,502 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:02

I feel strangely comforted seeing the pen sold for that price.  It means that someone has "it" worse than I do.  It's like that feeling when someone steps in line behind you at the bank.

Well, hold on to your Schadenfreude until someone actually buys it (it's still for sale) :) .

Edited by Tweel, 08 February 2017 - 07:02.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#9 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:59

I really like looking at a vivid ink in the pen barrel.  Hence, I love piston demonstrators.  But, 600 bucks to look at a black, rubber sac ?

;)

#10 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2017 - 14:56

It's a true demonstrator is the sense that it wasn't made for consumers, but to show how the pen worked to those interested in buying the regular line of J's, Sj's, Lj's etc.  So, any thrills, such as seeing the ink as you used it, were beyond what was needed. It's worth is in it's scarcity, and history, more so than it being a useable pen, though I am sure it is quite useable if needed. 

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

Sponsored Content

|