Mini Vac - How Do You Fill It?!

Bass Culture

Okay, folks, I admit I'm stumped. I really like my Mini Vac but I can't seem to get it more than about half full. Is there a technique that allows me to completely fill the reservoir? Come on, I'm relying on you all now. :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happyshirt

• Bass Culture

• Jamerelbe

• EBUCKTHORN

Bass Culture-rest assured that there is a way to get the pen mostly full. Someone who knows better than I will chime in. In the meantime I believe Brian @ Goulet Pens has done a YouTube video explaining one method.

I usually just use a syringe to fill it. Take of the nib section and fill with syringe. No mess. Full fill.

Fill the pen like normal. When it's filled, flip it nib-up, pull the plunger down, and gently press it back in until you see a little ink leave the feed. The goal is to get as much air out of the barrel as possible. Once a little ink starts to come out, keep the plunger where it is, flip the pen nib-down, and stick it back into your ink bottle. Push the plunger down the rest of the way and you'll have a full fill.

Goulet did a good video in 2012 walking folks through the process, which I've linked below:

Hope this helps!

Edit:

I strongly recommend trying this with water before you try it with ink as messing up can easily result with a face-full of ink.

Edited by Out0Mind

A lot of vac filling pens won't fill all the way up. You can follow the trick on the Goulet Pens video posted by Out0Mind, but I think most people don't worry about it too much. BTW, you really don't want to fill the pen to the tippy-top. You need some air in the ink chamber to allow for the air-ink interchange to take place.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

get the bottle. 2 pumps and the pen is full of your favorite ink.

i think its called a 20. its made of plastic, really light and very usefull

I usually just use a syringe to fill it. Take of the nib section and fill with syringe. No mess. Full fill.

How do you fill with syringe please? Is it with the plunger up or down ? I read a comment at goulet pen that one skips the needle pass the plunger. Would that damage the rubber in the long run?

Thinking of getting a mini vac but I like ink samples so gave been searching for instructions how to syringe fill it.

Thank you.

How do you fill with syringe please? Is it with the plunger up or down ? I read a comment at goulet pen that one skips the needle pass the plunger. Would that damage the rubber in the long run?

Thinking of getting a mini vac but I like ink samples so gave been searching for instructions how to syringe fill it.

Thank you.

You unscrew the nib assembly from the top of the pen, and squirt the in from above (making sure the vacuum seal isn't engaged when you do so). Personally I think that defeats the purpose of buying a pen with a Vacuum fill mechanism though...

You unscrew the nib assembly from the top of the pen, and squirt the in from above (making sure the vacuum seal isn't engaged when you do so). Personally I think that defeats the purpose of buying a pen with a Vacuum fill mechanism though...

I agree that it defeats the purpose but in the event I get tired of the main ink color, I want to be able to have the option of changing ink colors, thus the syringe.

What does vacumn seal isn't engaged? you mean it isn't locked and the plunger is at the bottom? If the nib assembly is unscrewed then how do you mean squirt from the top? top as in the end where we screw the plunger up and down?

Sorry I'm slow here. I'm having trouble picturing what you mean.

Thanks for the help.

I agree that it defeats the purpose but in the event I get tired of the main ink color, I want to be able to have the option of changing ink colors, thus the syringe.

What does vacumn seal isn't engaged? you mean it isn't locked and the plunger is at the bottom? If the nib assembly is unscrewed then how do you mean squirt from the top? top as in the end where we screw the plunger up and down?

Sorry I'm slow here. I'm having trouble picturing what you mean.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. By "top" end of the pen/barrel I mean the nib end, not the blind cap end. You need to screw out the nib assembly, and pull the plunger back just a little to ensure it isn't blocking the opening you've exposed at top end of the ink reservoir - maybe a picture will help:

http://i.imgur.com/lRVq5IX.jpg

Sorry if I wasn't clear. By "top" end of the pen/barrel I mean the nib end, not the blind cap end. You need to screw out the nib assembly, and pull the plunger back just a little to ensure it isn't blocking the opening you've exposed at top end of the ink reservoir - maybe a picture will help:

Aaaaahhh OK Now i get it. Thank you sooo much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I splurged on the 20A ink bottle and it's simplicity itself. I'm really glad I went for it. Fill the bottle with your favorite ink, unscrew the cap of your pen, unscrew the top "jewel" of the ink bottle, screw your pen onto the bottle. Making sure all seals are tight, turn the bottle and pen over, unscrew the pen's end cap and pull out the plunger. Gently but firmly push the plunger back in until ink flows into the pen. It will fill about half-way. Pull the plunger gently but firmly back out and then back in. Your pen will be filled completely. Unscrew the pen from the bottle, screw the top jewel back on the bottle and cap your pen.

Risk free (as long as you ensure the lid to the ink bottle is screwed on well, and the pen is screwed in properly before turning the bottle upside down) and easy as can be. It's almost like they were made for each other. :D

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne