The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ruby-Red Pelikan M320

fountain pen red mini stub resin flakes beautiful gorgeous shimmer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 farmkiti

farmkiti

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 15:55

IMG_1020.JPG I just bought a brand-new Ruby Red M320 and I couldn't be happier with a pen.  Now, I must preface my totally subjective remarks by saying I have very small hands and I love miniature anything, especially mini fountain pens.  But when I ordered it, I had no idea it was such a teeny-tiny, adorable slip of a pen!  I opened the box and was totally floored by how cute it looked, lying there in its full-size Pelikan container.  At the same time, the classic beauty of this pen took my breath away. 

The finish on this pen is GORGEOUS.  (I'm trying to attach photos to this review.)  When I hold the pen up to the light, the pinkish flakes in its depths sparkle and shimmer in layers.  It gives the rich, beautiful, ruby-red resin real depth.  

While writing with this pen over the last few days, I have frequently sat with it open for as much as five minutes at a time.  Every time, as soon as I put nib to paper, it started right up without hesitation.  This diminutive pen performs every bit as well as my other Pelikans.  I had my M320 reground to a stub by the seller, and I am very happy with the results.  The nib has a sweet little spring to it that adds flair to my writing.   When posted, it will be plenty long for most writers.  For those with very large hands, it may be a little too slim.  That will depend on individual preferences.

As for the amount of ink it can hold, it's about what you would expect for such a tiny pen.  However, it didn't run out so often that it became irritating.  And besides, when are we really so far from a bottle of ink that we can't refill a pen on demand?  If I plan to take it away from home, it is a very simple matter to carry some ink in a sample vial, if I really think I'll be running out.  I've done some serious writing with it over the past few days, and it's taken several hours to run dry each time.

I guess you can tell I'm a little biased and I absolutely love this pen.  It was not an inexpensive pen; yet, I am so happy with it, I am considering buying the Pearl M320.  That's not so unreasonable when you consider that my collection has lots of minis in it.  The Ruby Red M320 is the most classically beautiful and adorable pen I own.  I am finding every excuse to write with it.  Actually, who needs an excuse, anyway?        

Edited by farmkiti, 03 February 2017 - 16:09.

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 16:49

Thanks for a great review !  I was just looking at an M300 last night, and this is a wonderful review!

#3 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 17:03

I have often thought how attractive those pens are, but the cost – price ratio deterred me. I think you picked the best looking one that they ever made.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#4 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,234 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 23:28

Hi farmkiti, I'm glad to see another fan of this pen.  I gave the pearl version to my wife a couple of Christmases ago, and have been using it myself recently.  It's beautiful and functionally excellent.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#5 tdzieman

tdzieman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:28

Have never regretted the cost of  a Pelikan

Edited by tdzieman, 04 February 2017 - 01:28.

#6 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 14:26

Very pretty!

They should offer this color for the other sizes.  Would love an M200 in this color.

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 22:41

Very pretty!

They should offer this color for the other sizes.  Would love an M200 in this color.

I think they made one in the 1990s.  If they make another this one is a keeper.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 22:41

Thank you Farmkiti for sharing your pen.  I'm glad you have a pen you love!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• 27,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 23:07

It's a beautiful little pen! Too small for me to use!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2017 - 00:53

Very pretty!

There is an M600 Ruby Red special edition that was released about 5 years ago.  Beautiful pen, although lacking "the cute" that the M320 has.  Don't come up all that often, at least when I've been watching, but there is one on the bay right now... sigh.  My pen budget has been a shambles for awhile now and I'm trying to hold off until March.  To say nothing of the bathroom remodel we signed up for.   Oh well.  One of you guys grab it, I'm sure you'll love it.  Then do another review as enthusiastic as farmkiti's!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#11 farmkiti

farmkiti

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2017 - 18:26

Thanks to y'all for your nice comments about my review.  I just discovered this site recently and it's given me an outlet as a frustrated writer wanna-be.  Not to mention, everybody's talking about fountain pens!  I'm in heaven.

I also want to make an update:  I splurged even more and bought the Pearl M320; I also had it reground to a stub.  If it is possible, I am even more happy with this pen than the Ruby-Red M320!  But I think that's it for 2017.  I shouldn't buy any more pens this year.  

Shouldn't.  

Well....

P.S.  I hope it's OK if I say good things about a company.  Just wanted to say that all my recent nib regrinding has been done by Classic Fountain Pens, and I am extremely satisfied with the quality of their work.  I don't work for them and they didn't pay me; I am just a very happy customer.

#12 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2017 - 14:24

Thanks for the review. While I'd love to have the Ruby, I recently acquired a green-stripe M300 and I love the size.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#13 farmkiti

farmkiti

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:58

Thanks for the review. While I'd love to have the Ruby, I recently acquired a green-stripe M300 and I love the size.

OK, I know I said no more pens, but...I have also been eyeing that green-striped M300...mights as well get all of 'em, right?  We'll see....

#14 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:32

OK, I know I said no more pens, but...

Haha, I hear that. After splurging on an EF nib to replace the M the 300 came with, I said I need to take it easy but then I go on ebay and see a very reasonably priced red and black 150 "buy it now" (must have just been listed or I'm sure it would've been snapped up). Ok, now I'll back off a bit.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#15 ca49reber

ca49reber

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:05

I bought this pen a few months ago & I love it. My hands are also small. The 800's are too large for me.

#16 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 20:04

I recently got the orange version, a beautiful little pen. Even with my large hands, I can write with it comfortably.

CfzKULU.jpg

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain, pen, red, mini, stub, resin, flakes, beautiful, gorgeous, shimmer

Sponsored Content

|