New Aurora 88Th Anniversay With Super Flexible Nib L.e.

novelli

The video is blocked by SME from playing here, on copyright grounds.

Ridiculous.

I am no fan of the extortion racket called regional coding, and this is not even an entertainment but an advertising video.

Is has nothing to do with Aurora. It's a youtube video ...

When I worked a Cellphone app with YouTube video, it was amazing how difficult it was to get all the codings required to get videos to play out of Asia especially but, also some in the USA with unusual formats. In our case it wasn't music copyrights but, regional geolocation coding on the video streams that gave us fits.

Music and DVD regional lockouts are a different issue from what we experienced with YouTube. Watching friends having trouble playing music they paid for on iTunes was enough "mother may I" to turn me away from iTunes for life.

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• novelli

• Omaslover

• praxim

A modern flex nib. So tempting but the body is just kind of tacky with the sharp red and blue... for my personal taste of course. Many will find it difficult to pass up of course. If they had that nib on the auroloide optimum pens, that would be heaven.

A modern flex nib. So tempting but the body is just kind of tacky with the sharp red and blue... for my personal taste of course. Many will find it difficult to pass up of course. If they had that nib on the auroloide optimum pens, that would be heaven.

agreed, I hope it will become a standard nib option that can be fitted in any Aurora pen.

Edited as I just realized that this is the marketplace and don't want to take the focus away from the OP:

Elsewhere, I saw that these pens have ebonite feeds. Also, apparently it's aurora's 70th anniversary limited edition. Very tempting indeed.

Edited by ILM

I REALLY don't understand this fascination for flex nibs.

In order to get maximum benefit from these nibs, you need a serious practiced hand that most of us don't have. It's also quite cringe worthy to see how people are "using" these nibs from the 2 videos that have been released so far. These people are obviously so unqualified to handle these nibs but yet so many of us are so ga ga about any product as soon as you mention flex and how far apart these "reviewers" are splaying the tines. I find flexible nibs actually impractical to use for daily writing because they are simply not as stable for fast note taking. It's also very evident the few famous youtube reviewers preference for flex nibs even if they profess they can't don't Spencerian to save their lives.

About the ONLY video that I found really positioned the product in it's best possible light was the video OMAS put out of it's calligraphy pen. They actually used a professional calligrapher to show the potential of the pen under a practiced hand. Worthy of a pen that's positioned as a tool for creativity.

I REALLY don't understand this fascination for flex nibs.

In order to get maximum benefit from these nibs, you need a serious practiced hand that most of us don't have. It's also quite cringe worthy to see how people are "using" these nibs from the 2 videos that have been released so far. These people are obviously so unqualified to handle these nibs but yet so many of us are so ga ga about any product as soon as you mention flex and how far apart these "reviewers" are splaying the tines. I find flexible nibs actually impractical to use for daily writing because they are simply not as stable for fast note taking. It's also very evident the few famous youtube reviewers preference for flex nibs even if they profess they can't don't Spencerian to save their lives.

In contrast, I think I get it. While they look pretty, I don't care much about Spencerian, copperplate, or such fancy writing styles/skills; the fact still remains, flex nibs add much flare to my handwriting in English and a couple of other languages I write. I do agree with you however that many pen sellers don't have a clue how (not) to (ab)use flex nibs and it shows in their videos.

Edited by ILM

I doubt this will be a true flex nib (in the classic, Waterman 7 pink, sense of the term). At least I hope it won't be (and judging by the video, it isn't).

What it will probably be is a modern semi-flex nib by one of the most respected in-house nib makers going and, as such, will be eminently usable in normal writing.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I got to write with this nib tonight at the Kenro event in NYC. It's not a replacement for vintage flex, by any means but it performs really quite well. Fast writing can result in railroads (but that could be helped with certain inks I'm sure -- the test pens at the event were inked with the soon-to-be-released Aurora Blue-Black). When I wrote at my normal speed, I couldn't get the nib to railroad. Also, the nib performs great without pressure as a normal fine nib.

It opens quite comfortably to 2 mm or so, and it has a nice springiness -- it's not mushy like some modern flex nibs. As far as modern flex nibs go, I think Aurora made an admirable attempt at one. I imagine if Mottishaw increased flow and added even more flex, it'd be amazing.

Edited by rpsyed

You may need to be a calligrapher to get the maximum benefit of flex nibs, but they are lovely for regular writing. I have a vintage 88, and it is the ​best nib for my personal writing style I have ever used.​ Nothing else comes close. I love the thicker downstrokes. I love how it makes my writing look. I love the feel of the nib.

Honestly, I use that vintage 88, and I go immediately back to an M800, and it's like writing with a blob. So....boring and less tactile.

So while I don't do calligraphy, flex nibs really suit my handwriting.

Edited by Kevan

But does it have a properly-set Ebonite feed? Maybe not, I see railroading in the demo. Remember... A flexible nib without a reliable feed that can keep up with it, is nothing more than a never-ending source of frustration.

Quite.

For the money their asking, I think I'd rather get a new MB 145... flex can be had for a lot less elsewhere.

Now if Aurora would offer a nib like this, (with a wet feed), in their more affordable models, I'd definitely be interested.

- Anthony

PS: In the pens defense, it is possible that the pen had been recently inked and the feed wasn't saturated yet. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

This is what I posted on FaceBook in response to Ethernautrix's question she posted about the nib.

"Ok. I finally have a few minutes. The general consensus of the Pen Posse members who tried it, the new nib is the best stock modern flex nib. The nib has really long tines and I suspect it will be good platform for further tweaking. None of the testers had problems with railroading. But there are limitations. Don't expect this to do huge swells. This is more amenable for Spencerian rather than Copperplate. The nib has pretty good response and spring back unlike other modern 'flex' nibs. It seems to have more range in response than other modern nibs. The thing we still need to know is how durable the nib will be in the hands of the untrained. This is a step forward."

I will add that compared to the best vintage flex nibs like an Omas, some Watermans, Swans, (vintage) Auroras, they are still lacking. The new nib is on the cusp between semi-flex and full flex. Again, with further modifications, it could be even better. If this had a needlepoint then I think it will be better than my Mottishaw Spencerian modded Nakaya SEF nibs. These do have extra range that none of the other moderns have and these actually have spring back and response.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

This is what I posted on FaceBook in response to Ethernautrix's question she posted about the nib.

"Ok. I finally have a few minutes. The general consensus of the Pen Posse members who tried it, the new nib is the best stock modern flex nib. The nib has really long tines and I suspect it will be good platform for further tweaking. None of the testers had problems with railroading. But there are limitations. Don't expect this to do huge swells. This is more amenable for Spencerian rather than Copperplate. The nib has pretty good response and spring back unlike other modern 'flex' nibs. It seems to have more range in response than other modern nibs. The thing we still need to know is how durable the nib will be in the hands of the untrained. This is a step forward."

I will add that compared to the best vintage flex nibs like an Omas, some Watermans, Swans, (vintage) Auroras, they are still lacking. The new nib is on the cusp between semi-flex and full flex. Again, with further modifications, it could be even better. If this had a needlepoint then I think it will be better than my Mottishaw Spencerian modded Nakaya SEF nibs. These do have extra range that none of the other moderns have and these actually have spring back and response.

Thanks for the report. I've ordered a blue one from Marco. Can't wait to try it...

Thanks for the report. I've ordered a blue one from Marco. Can't wait to try it...

I think you will like it since this nib matches your expectations. In the stock form, this is better than other stock modern 'flex' nibs (i.e. they are not) but is still not quite comparable to a true vintage flex nib. It has usable flex although it is better suited to someone who knows what they are doing rather than an absolute beginner. It will be important for people to control their expectations. This is a step forward but you are not getting a vintage wet noodle that can do huge swells. Few vintage nibs can do that in any case.

The price point will be a problem for some.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• 3 weeks later...

Pieces Produced: 188 each color

Nearly all sellers are saying that there are 188 pens per color, with a different color for every month. I have verified via a 3rd party who contacted Aurora, that there will be only 8 colors available and each color will have 111 pens with a total of 888 pens all with an FF nib. There are also images of the pen with the 111 marking on it. This makes the pen more limited then advertised and whoever wants one, it is better to hurry !

Nearly all sellers are saying that there are 188 pens per color, with a different color for every month. I have verified via a 3rd party who contacted Aurora, that there will be only 8 colors available and each color will have 111 pens with a total of 888 pens all with an FF nib. There are also images of the pen with the 111 marking on it. This makes the pen more limited then advertised and whoever wants one, it is better to hurry !

Interesting. Happy with the blue that I've ordered, but fascinated as to which other colours they'll launch...

Although, let's not kid ourselves: after the initial flurry of LEs, this will certainly be a series-production nib.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Some one really needs to flex this on a scale and see how much width you get with 200 grams of pressure (around 8 ounces); many nibs can flex well enough if you apply a ton of weight to it, but who enjoys doing that? A proper flex nib should be able to produce sizable line variation with an amount of pressure that doesn't tire and stress the hand.

Correcting my prev post ! I have received this pen, and the markings show that there are 188 pens for the blue color. Seems Aurora wrongly gave me the wrong information. The nib is the flexible one, and is marked with an F on the feed. The box says FF. This is my first Aurora, and was always waiting for the correct moment to get an 88 which was not black. I am currently at work, will try it out when I am at home.

Edited by WarStreet

Correcting my prev post ! I have received this pen, and the markings show that there are 188 pens for the blue color. Seems Aurora wrongly gave me the wrong information. The nib is the flexible one, and is marked with an F. This is my first Aurora, and was always waiting for the correct moment to get an 88 which was not black. I am currently at work, will try it out when I am at home.

Ooh. Hopefully that means I'll be receiving mine from Marco soon...

First impressions appreciated.