The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Difference Between Parker Duofold Lines (Prestige,classic,centennial,international)

parker duofold centennial classic prestiege international

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fpg

fpg

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:26

Hello,

Could anyone tell me the difference between the Parker Duofold Prestige/Classic and International/Centennial lines.

From what I can guess, The Prestige is made from brass whereas the classic is made of resin (plastic), and both come in international (short) and Centennial (long) versions.

Can somebody help me clarify that?

Sponsored Content

#2 manhha

manhha

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 22:29

Hi,

International vs Centennial: they are different in size. International is a bit shorter and thinner, which is similar to the size of Pelikan M600, Montblanc 145 or Waterman Exception Slim. The centennial line is the flagship of Parker, and its size comes close to Pelikan M800, Montblanc 146 or Waterman Exception Night&Day.

Some pics below might help

International vs Centennial

2015-11-26 08.28.29.jpg

2017-01-31 01.12.43.jpg

From left to right: Pelikan M1000 , Waterman Man 100, Parker Duofold Centennial, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M805 Stresemann

2017-02-01 17.57.15.jpg

#3 rh968

rh968

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 19:13

The Prestige is one heavy pen - it's a new idea, made of brass I think whereas the Duofold traditionally is resin. The Prestige is only Centennial size. Hope that helps.

#4 twall3

twall3

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 21:59

I have a follow-up question.  I have two Duofold Internationals - and both have a three gold band on the section - a double band on the nib end, and a single on the barrel end.  More modern Duofold Internationals appear to have only a single gold band near the nib.  Was this a feature of Duofolds from a certain production run/era? 

s-l1600_zpsqudoqntb.jpg

Edited by twall3, 21 February 2017 - 22:00.

#5 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2017 - 00:19

My International is a special edition Memorial Fund from 1992, and has the same configuration of gold bands as does yours.

Edit...Also called Disaster Relief Special Edition...International size. 10,000 were made.

Edited by corgicoupe, 22 February 2017 - 21:20.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#6 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:21

The earlier pens with the arrow nib have two rings just above the section. When the model was slightly changed & the arrow with banner came in, that's when the second lower section ring disappeared. This happened in 1996 ( http://parkercollect...centennial.html ).

Regards,

Richard.

#7 twall3

twall3

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2017 - 15:15

Excellent, thanks very much for the link.  So that puts my pen somewhere in the 1987-1996 range.  Apparently somewhere in there you could have the cap monogrammed (I remember seeing an image of a magazine advertisement somewhere online showing this), which my Dad must've done somewhere back in the late 80's or early 90's with his black Duofold.  Faded now, but still looks good.  :)  

IMG_3344_zps4g7jkis0.jpg

Edited by twall3, 22 February 2017 - 15:16.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, centennial, classic, prestiege, international

Sponsored Content

|