Lamy Safari Review

FPSymphony

Like many in the fountain pen hobby, the Lamy Safari was one of the first fountain pens I've ever acquired. From my perspective, the Lamy Safari is one of the best fountain pens for beginners, and I would even go so far as to say it's one of the best fountain pens of all time.

The finish on the Lamy Safari is very durable, and the pen has a premium feel to it. This is the matte charcoal version, which has a sandblasted finish that is very resistant to scratches. The nib has gained some staining, which is exacerbated by nib creep, but can be avoided by using "safe" inks, such as Lamy. The pen also comes in a variety of finish options, with a wide, appealing color spectrum, with limited edition models released every so often.

post-133281-0-13976600-1485997601_thumb.jpg

post-133281-0-21281800-1485997668_thumb.jpg

Uncapping the pen can be accomplished by lightly pulling the cap off, which is done so with a satisfying snap. Doing so will reveal one of the more polarizing aspects of the Lamy Safari's design; the ubiquitous triangular grip. It doesn't bother me personally, and I find it to be rather comfortable, if not a little thin. However, many people may find contention with the grip shape, particularly if they do not employ a standard "tripod grip".

Below is a size comparison between the Faber-Castell Loom, the Pilot Metropolitan, and the Lamy Safari

post-133281-0-90499300-1485997692_thumb.jpg

post-133281-0-56525200-1485997726_thumb.jpg

post-133281-0-47127200-1485997752_thumb.jpg

Capped, the pens are relatively close in size, however the Lamy does have a rather large clip which can be an issue for pen pouches that are particularly tight. Unposted, the Lamy is the lightest of the group, which can be an advantage for long writing sessions. The ergonomics are also notably more comfortable for my hand than the Pilot Metropolitan. When Posted, the Lamy does become very long, and ever so slightly back heavy, but due to the light weight of the pen, it's not really and issue, and I find myself posting the pen often.

One drawback of this pen is the proprietary cartridge converter filling system. The pen won't hold as much ink as a Twsbi Eco, and the pen DOES NOT come with a converter, which you need to easily fill from a bottle. The positive side to this is that the Lamy cartridges are rather large and can be refilled, although the plastic used was not designed to constantly be refilled, and I think it's more difficult than to use a converter, and certainly messier if you're not careful (I learned the hard way :roller1:).

The most important part of any pen is how it writes, and thankfully the Lamy Safari writes VERY well.

post-133281-0-06432700-1485997796_thumb.jpg

This pen writes amazingly well. What's most impressive is that after a period of five minutes left uncapped, the pen would not hard start, even with a dry ink.

The Lamy Safari is one amazing pen for beginners and those invested into the hobby. The durability of the pen and the amazing nib make a perfect pen for everyday carry. The Lamy Safari also sells for around $30 at most retailers, and for that price it makes this pen an amazing deal. There are pens that while may look really extravagant, but many of them do not perform as well as this Lamy, particularly when leaving the pen uncapped, and many of them cost a lot more than this pen.

This is my first review ever, so your feedback is greatly appreciated. :happy:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPSymphony

• MomoShinChan

• davidtaylorjr

• VCSL

Enjoyed your review - thanks for taking the time.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Great review. I also think the Safari is one of the best fountain pens of all time. I have three Safaris, and they are all inked and get as much use as the other, much more expensive pens in my collection.

Well Done!

The Charcoal/Umbra (aka "Stealth") Safari is well liked!

The Dark Lilac, and the upcoming "Petrol" Model will also have this textured finish!

Regards,

Frank

Federalist Pens

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and disagree that Lamy Safari is one of the best fountain pens for beginners or at a great price point in general.

Cheaper pens than the Safari, namely the Jinhao's make for perfectly good beginner - low investment pens.

The somewhat more expensive TWSBI Eco is a more of a premium product in every way if someone wants a pen that not only writes well but looks great as well.

Compared to either of these pens I feel that the 15$ Safari is too expensive or too unremarkable a product.

Plus you have to buy the converter separately, which is overpriced (for what it is) as well.

Edited by DrowsyEmperor

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and disagree that Lamy Safari is one of the best fountain pens for beginners or at a great price point in general.

Cheaper pens than the Safari, namely the Jinhao's make for perfectly good beginner - low investment pens.

The somewhat more expensive TWSBI Eco is a more of a premium product in every way if someone wants a pen that not only writes well but looks great as well.

Compared to either of these pens I feel that the 15$ Safari is too expensive or too unremarkable a product.

Plus you have to buy the converter separately, which is overpriced (for what it is) as well.

You do have a fair point. The Twsbi Eco and Jinhao pens are pretty nice. I would also include the Platinum Preppy in this group.

However (I'm not claiming my experience represents everyone), I have only had Lamy pens that write well, and while I've never used any Jinhao pens, I have used some Twsbis, which while nice, were not perfectly adjusted out of the box, something imperative for a "beginner's pen". I also have a suspicion that quality control on Jinhao pens is not entirely consistent, as I have seen reports of some pens being wet, some pens being dry, etc.

I cannot atone to the question of value for everyone since that depends on the user, but the Lamy Safari is a quality pen that writes well, and I think it is worth the price. Certainly, there are cheaper alternatives, and if they're better pens for you, than by all means, love and cherish them.

You do have a fair point. The Twsbi Eco and Jinhao pens are pretty nice. I would also include the Platinum Preppy in this group.

However (I'm not claiming my experience represents everyone), I have only had Lamy pens that write well, and while I've never used any Jinhao pens, I have used some Twsbis, which while nice, were not perfectly adjusted out of the box, something imperative for a "beginner's pen". I also have a suspicion that quality control on Jinhao pens is not entirely consistent, as I have seen reports of some pens being wet, some pens being dry, etc.

I cannot atone to the question of value for everyone since that depends on the user, but the Lamy Safari is a quality pen that writes well, and I think it is worth the price. Certainly, there are cheaper alternatives, and if they're better pens for you, than by all means, love and cherish them.

+1. Well said. I agree. To each there own. It's simply about enjoyment.

Well said. Your original post/review is appreciated as well.

While a good pen for many people, I think the grip shape and that humongous clip is an issue for many, myself included. As to whether they are a better value than some other pens really depends on the individual as you stated so eloquently.

These Lamy FP remind me on an old Rotring "Core" RollerBall I had. While it wrote very well, the large size and odd shape and balance meant it ended up lost in some desk drawer a long time ago never to see light again (or at least not before a major clean out of long forgotten stuff in the office).

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

The Lamy Safari was the first fountain pen I ever bought. At the time, I was so impressed at how much ink it put down.

However, I do find that the Safaris tend to be a bit too broad for my tastes and they're a bit inconsistent at times. I've had amazing Safari Fine Nibs and so-so Fine nibs.

Great review.

Sometimes when I am using my Safari or Vista, I seriously wonder why I would ever spend more money for a FP. They really are splendid -- cheap and functional.

Glad you're enjoying one of your new pen! Good review.

Lamy inks tend to be a bit dry. There are other inks that are wetter or more lubed and will give the nib a different feel on the page. Flush the pen well if you use a different ink.

I'm concerned that you're pressing the nib. Don't get in that habit. Especially if you're going to be trying with other people's pens.
A bit of pressure on a nib that's intended to flex can add line variation. Don't overdo it.
A habit of pressing every nib can leave a trail on damage. A newbie destroyed a springy nib (bent it permanently) on one of my pens because she wanted to see the pen write darker. Another newbie separated the tines on a stiff-nibbed Preppy looking for line variation. Don't be someone who does that.

A good pen/ink combo will be okay for a moment while you're thinking of the right word. But for a few moments, at least slip the nib back into the cap.

Surprisingly, piston fillers like the Twisbi Eco hold about the same amount of ink as a cartridge. It looks like more because the ink is filing the width of the barrel. And there are some double reservoir Viscontis that hold more.
Converters hold about half as much.

There's no indication from ink makers that cartridges are not meant to be reused.
Cartridges are designed to hold ink for an extended period of time, whether that's closed with the original ink or whether refilled with ink.

Glad you're enjoying one of your new pen! Good review.

Lamy inks tend to be a bit dry. There are other inks that are wetter or more lubed and will give the nib a different feel on the page. Flush the pen well if you use a different ink.

I'm concerned that you're pressing the nib. Don't get in that habit. Especially if you're going to be trying with other people's pens.

A bit of pressure on a nib that's intended to flex can add line variation. Don't overdo it.

A habit of pressing every nib can leave a trail on damage. A newbie destroyed a springy nib (bent it permanently) on one of my pens because she wanted to see the pen write darker. Another newbie separated the tines on a stiff-nibbed Preppy looking for line variation. Don't be someone who does that.

A good pen/ink combo will be okay for a moment while you're thinking of the right word. But for a few moments, at least slip the nib back into the cap.

Surprisingly, piston fillers like the Twisbi Eco hold about the same amount of ink as a cartridge. It looks like more because the ink is filing the width of the barrel. And there are some double reservoir Viscontis that hold more.

Converters hold about half as much.

There's no indication from ink makers that cartridges are not meant to be reused.

Cartridges are designed to hold ink for an extended period of time, whether that's closed with the original ink or whether refilled with ink.

Thanks for the concern, but I actually don't write with a heavy hand at all. I was writing very slowly because I was a bit nervous of people seeing my handwriting. I did put some pressure on the word "pressure", but that's only for the review. Don't worry, I've used many pens (including full flex pens) and have never sprung a nib. I'm sorry that you've had other people spring your pens!

Also, to clarify, I don't think it's wise to keep a pen uncapped for five minutes. I was just surprised that the pen would still write after being uncapped for five minutes, considering some pens won't.

A Twsbi Eco (completely full) has a capacity of 1.7 ml versus a full T10 cartridge (which is bigger than a standard international) which has capacity of somewhere around 1.2 ml.

My concern was your pressing the nib for the word 'pressure.' From posts and videos, some newbies get the idea that pressing a nib is normal use.

It's up to you whether you press a nib in your reviews.

A standard international cartridge refills with 1.5ml, which is close to the volume of the Twsbi eco and many other piston fillers.

Nice review. The SafarI is an excellent pen in its price category and great choice for beginners. I think it will outlast most other pens in its price range by decades. However the TWSBI ECO is potentially its nemesis for the crown of best in its category. The ECO is more refined and with its built in piston filler a better value in my opinion. It has yet to prove itself for durabilty. The Safari may have the edge for durability. Writing quality Id say is on par. I find my ECO 1.1 nib is wetter than my Safari 1.1. For the price its hard to beat these two.

The Safari is mainly designed as a school pen. So the cartridge system makes more sense than a piston. It more about efficiency. Like a rifle with cased bullets compared to a muzzle-loader. :)

I like the Lamy Safary. It's fun with many colors, nice range of nibs and the ergonomics is fine for me. The only thing is that the nibs and feed assembly quality is somewhat varied resulting in skipping for my use (I have nibs ranging from 1.1 to EF and several M on varied pen colors). I must say I put little pressure on my pens which makes things worse.

All in all good value but I am not sure the best beginners pen.

Edited by darazs

I absolutely love my Safaris. As cheap pens go they are pretty reliable. I had an orange one that lasted 7 years before it started leaking at the base of the nib. My Next Safari, the dark Lilac has worked great since I received it (a year ago? anyhow when the lilac first came out). Until two weeks ago when it developed the same leak (converter perfectly tight, nib as well) as the previous pen. I've had no leaking with the Al-stars (green, silver, and orange copper) but the cap stopped snapping on and off on the silver one after 10 years. I should probably send the broken pens to the Lamy Repair center.

I do see a difference between an expensive brand like Pelikan and cheaper brands like Lamy. I have never had a single problem with my amber 250 which I bought in 2005 and used daily for 10 years.

I love Lamys but don't expect them to last more than a couple years. That said I use them every day for work and love the Dark lilac (still a little sad about the leak).

P.s. Thanks for the review. I may now have to get the new petrol!

Edited by LuckyKate