The Inoxcrom Caravel. The Fountainpen Of The Controversy

rizo

I want to present you a very famous pen in Spain but not so much in the rest of the world. A fountain pen that was very controversial and that therefore it disappeared soon of the market. That controversy is what has made it legendary among Spanish collectors. The Inoxcrom Caravel

inoxcrom%2Bcaravel%2By%2Bcapuchon.jpg

Technical features of the Caravel Inoxcrom

Positioned with the cap: 6,535433 inch (16.6. cm)

Length with cap: 5,826772 inch (14.8 cm)

Length without cap: 5,23622inch (13.3 cm)

Maximum diameter in the cap: 0,590551 inch (1.5 cm)

Diameter the barrel: 0,433071 inch (1.1 cm)

Material: Black synthetic resin.

Nib: Large size, # 6 steel in thickness F, M and B

Dorados: Gold of 23.9 kilátes.

Load: Universal cartridge (two short or one long) or converter.

plumin%2Binoxcrom%2Bcaravel.jpg

In 1992 the Spanish brand Inoxcrom decided to take a step forward in its catalog of writing media of good quality and competitive prices to enter the select group of manufacturers of high range and for it created with great care a pen that should be its flagship , The Caravel. This pen was designed following the trail of the brand that luxury fountain pens par excellence at that time, Montblanc and especially its line Meisterstück , whose forms were fashionable . Coinciding with the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America, the firm chose the name of Caravel and a Spanish caravel is that adorned its nibs. It also accompanied the name 1920 , which refers as the booklet (see photograph) that accompanied the box of the pen, to the decade of maximum splendor of fountain pens, which also wanted to pay homage to this fountain pens.

The nib was redesigned, large, size 6 and compatible with those of German manufacturers like Jowo Bock. It was made in thickness F (Fine), M (Medium) and (Broad or thick) which was new for the mark that always made them in M.

The pen originally had a three-ring decoration, which then passed to two with the inscription

INOXCROM - 1920 - INOXCROM - SPAIN

As for its operation this was by cartridge-converter, the latter being supplied by the Inoxcrom house.

inoxcrom%2Bcaravel%2Bcon%2Bcapuchon%2Bpu

An enemy appears and the pen disappears.

The pen was a revolution for Inoxcrom because it was a decided bet to enter the high range and changing the American inspiration of its previous models by a German inspiration that did not demerge in quality with a very attractive price. Everything seemed to be great but apparently and here comes the legend of the pen and the mystery, the Montblanc signature got in touch with Inoxcrom and threatened to denounce it for plagiarism. Plagiarism? The resemblance was undeniable, but fountain pens similar to the Meisterstück (form of pure, rings and black) there are several, for example the Sailor 1911 or Platinum 3776 and in fact, fountain pens with that design and there were long before the exit Line Meisterstück. The truth is that suddenly the Caravel appeared redesigned with only two rings and not three, which differentiated it even more from the Meisterstück, and today are more common with two rings than three. It seems that it was not enough and while the Sailor 1911 continues to be manufactured without problems (will it have less Montblanc power in Japan?) The Inoxcrom Caravel disappeared from the catalog.

http://www.sailorpen.co.uk/images2/realo1.jpg

A japanese Sailor 1911 very similar to the Caravel and to the Montblancs.

41TTh04k-NL._SY300_.jpg

Platinum 3776

Was the disappearance of the Caravel something predicted? I do not think so. We have already said that a pen was designed decorated with a caravel specific for this pen; Well, a greater number of nibs was ordered than the number of fountain pens actually made, which is suspect. These "caravel" nibs were not wasted but were used in a few examples of mythical models such as Sirocco, Corinthian and even the most modest Wall Street. These models when they appear with the caravel nib instead of the Inoxcrom nib with the ball of the world that is its own model, have more value.

The sister, the Caravel II

inoxcrom%2Bcaravel%2BII.jpg

Inoxcrom Caravel II

At the same time, a medium size model was popularly called Caravel II. This one had cap by pressure and a nib also decorated with caravel but of average size and without vent. In his ring also appeared the inscription

INOXCROM - 1920 - INOXCROM - SPAIN

The Caravel II was charged by universal cartridge-converter. He admitted two cartridges or only one long.

Both the Caravel I and the Caravel II could be accompanied by a Caravel pen or a pencil, being the same for both models.

Performance of the Caravel Inoxcrom

Both the Caravel I and the Caravel II have a magnificent mechanical performance, characteristic of a design and a careful construction. The international cartridge-converter system may not be as romantic as a piston, but it is the one that gives the least flaws and needs less maintenance.

Their steel nibs are really good. I have only tried the M and F and I attest that even the F slides in an invidious way. I do not doubt that B has to do the same or even better.

As for its material, the synthetic resin. It is a type of plastic of great resistance to the scratches. The copies of Caravel I know are usually very well preserved and the use marks disappear with just a rag.

Golds are practically pure gold and 6 microns thick, which is unusually large.

The Caravel II also has a great performance, although the cap is not screwed.

Price of a Inoxcrom Caravel

Originally the Caravel I, was sold in 1992 for about 10,000 pesetas (60 euros). In 2017 the second-hand specimens sold in specialized forums are usually for about 150 euros. As you can see, this fountain pen pen has not only retained its price in relation to inflation but has experienced a rise, as it is a very sought after piece by collectors.

The Caravel II is in 2017 around 65-70 euros. This pen is not as coveted as her older sister, but the fame of this influences in its good quote.

My opinion like collector

I love this pen, is a great pen and has a interesting history and is becoming a little legend betwen the spaniards collectors. I think that still have a good price for his quality.

All the pics except the japanese pen I did by myself. I use this pics in blogs and will be used by friends in his blogs.

Edited by rizo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rizo

• rwilsonedn

• aawhite

• hsianloon

Are you really surprised MB stepped in to stop the design? All that money affords them a large legal team.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for a great review, and a reminder about a really important pen.

I suppose MB, given their market position, couldn't risk having a similar-looking European-made pen of similar quality at a much different price. People might ask questions about MB's pricing strategy.

It is rather sad. I've always heard wonderful things about the Caravel, but I've never seen one in person. I have great respect for the brand, though, based on several early Inoxcroms I've been luck enough to own--from plastic student pens to mid-range beauties. All wonderful writers.

ron

Are you really surprised MB stepped in to stop the design? All that money affords them a large legal team.

No, I´m not suprised. Montblanc was more powerfull than Inoxcrom. If a company sell fountain pens by 800 $ of course has a lot of money.

Platinum, Sailor? they are across the globe and not very open to the Europe-US market until recently. The law and regulations are not even similar there so if MB want to do something, it will cost them more than gain.

Another pen maker in Europe? That is something MB need to get their eyes on.

That is a beautiful pen.

I love Inoxcrom pens, not only because I am of Spanish descent but because they are good pens at reasonable prices.

I have the Sirocco and the Wall Street (among others), both with steel nibs. I mention the make of the nib because if there is one thing I regret, it is not getting a gold nib for the Sirocco when it was available. I tried some pen shops (modern and vintage) in Spain but could not find any.

I always buy at least one Inoxcrom pen every time I visit Spain. My last purchase (May 2016) was the Vista.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

That is a beautiful pen.

I love Inoxcrom pens, not only because I am of Spanish descent but because they are good pens at reasonable prices.

I have the Sirocco and the Wall Street (among others), both with steel nibs. I mention the make of the nib because if there is one thing I regret, it is not getting a gold nib for the Sirocco when it was available. I tried some pen shops (modern and vintage) in Spain but could not find any.

I always buy at least one Inoxcrom pen every time I visit Spain. My last purchase (May 2016) was the Vista.

Getting the Inoxcrom gold nib separately today is impossible. It is one of the rarest nibs that exist of those that were manufactured in series.
You can still find some silver /silver Sirocco fountain pen second hand or even with some great luck NOS, have it. Try to find a Inoxcrom Sirocco silver/silver nobille with this nib, you deserve one.
http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/OTg2WDgzOQ==/z/jygAAOSwzaJX6B-3/$/Pluma-Estilografica-Inoxcrom-Sirocco-Plata-Nobile-Plumin-14K-_57.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/mtajl1lmp/IMG_5211.jpg
The nib of the Caravel is not gold, but even that is a courisity and difficult to see. If you find a fountain pen (Sirocco, Corinthian or Wall Street) with this pen you will see that the prize of the pen is about 30-40 euros more.
Edited by rizo

Platinum, Sailor? they are across the globe and not very open to the Europe-US market until recently. The law and regulations are not even similar there so if MB want to do something, it will cost them more than gain.

Another pen maker in Europe? That is something MB need to get their eyes on.

I agree with you. A because of that we have now a very rare fountain pen with great quality but expensive for many people that deserve to enjoy this pen.

inoxcrom%2Bcaravel.jpg

The similarities are so striking. But then again what fountain pen company hasn't copied from another?

Lovely nib by the way. The silver pen looks wonderful as well. Thanks for the informative post, never heard of the brand up till now

• 3 weeks later...

The similarities are so striking. But then again what fountain pen company hasn't copied from another?

Lovely nib by the way. The silver pen looks wonderful as well. Thanks for the informative post, never heard of the brand up till now

Thanks to you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was in Barcelona recently, and took some time to snoop around pen shops looking for a Caravel. I met some delightful people, but when I asked about the pen, the result was pretty much the same everywhere. The young person behind the counter would ask me to wait while he or she went to the back of the store. Then an older person would come out, listen to my question, and then smile sadly and say no, they haven't had one in years. But they were wonderful pens ...

ron

The Inoxcrom Caravelle is an excellent fountain pen....very very hard to find one.

The Inoxcrom Scirroco is another excellent fountain pen...and their gold AND STEEL nibs are superb....

All are hard to find...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was in Barcelona recently, and took some time to snoop around pen shops looking for a Caravel. I met some delightful people, but when I asked about the pen, the result was pretty much the same everywhere. The young person behind the counter would ask me to wait while he or she went to the back of the store. Then an older person would come out, listen to my question, and then smile sadly and say no, they haven't had one in years. But they were wonderful pens ...

ron

You have to try in internet. Today is the only option.