The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Results Of Iron Gall In 444 Dipless Desk Pen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 21:13

As some of you are aware, I have a few Esterbrook desk pens. (16-ish) I am particularly fond of the 444 Dipless models. 

I decided to keep one filled with Diamine Registrar's on my desk for writing bills and such. I first restored (i.e. cleaned thoroughly and replaced the seal) the base, put a basic 1555 nib on it (no huge loss should it get ruined) and filled her up. 

It worked great for several months. It was wonderful to be able to just reach over and pull out the pen, write a check and put it back in. And with the Registrar's ink my checks and envelops are quite safe from washing, water spills, rain, or whatever liquid may befall them. 

Then Christmas came and I went out of town. And I wrote bills out of town so almost two months went by without using the pen. It dried up. 

Today I went to clean it and I thought someone might be interested in the results. 

The ink did stain the red plastic ring that goes inside of these bases to show level of ink. I was able to scrub it mostly off except in between the letters. I soaked the nib and soaked the rods in their little basket, but didn't bother taking them out for a thorough scrubbing. I rinsed it all over several times, dried them all, and filled it back up. It's now working wonderfully. 

Probably in another couple of months I'll dissemble the base and clean the rods outs, making sure they're not sticking together.

With the exception of the staining of the red plastic ring, I had no issues even letting IG ink dry in the base. If I were going to change inks, I would have cleaned out the rod basket and cleaned off the rods carefully. But since I'm putting the same ink in, I didn't bother.

These 444's are so easy to restore, look great, and the design with the feeder rods I find preferable (and less likely to dry out) than the open well like the 407's.

So, fill up your 444, put a nice nib on the pen and use it. Keep one by the phone for messages, or grocery lists. Keep one on your desk for notes, bills, etc... And don't worry about IG inks rotting things out. Dipless pens don't have the same issues of clogging that you find in fountain pens, (because they don't need to flow from the reservoir to the nib), and Esterbrook's are built tough.

Andrew 

My other hobby requires a camera

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 antichresis

antichresis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:15

Hey, thanks for this! I discovered the Dip-Less sets late last year and have been hunting for an affordable one (international shipping kills/inflates most of my prospects). It's good to hear that they are easy to work with.

|| Pilot Metropolitan <F stub>, Monteverde Burgundy || Pilot DPN-70 <EF>, 上海英雄 #202 Blue-Black || 永生 "233", Pilot Blue-Black ||

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#3 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,502 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:27

It's interesting that the IG ink apparently didn't rapidly oxidise and settle out in the bottom of the well, since 444s aren't exactly air-tight (around the pen) -- nice to hear.

What did you use for a rubber gasket on the top, BTW?

Edited by Tweel, 01 February 2017 - 23:28.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:13

If you look down this thread I have links and info on how I restored this, and others like it. 

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306802-445-dip-less-restoration-hints-welcome/ 

-Montaigne

#5 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,502 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:27

Thanks!  I followed the links in that thread.  I once bought the "Danco Flush Valve Seal for Mansfield #210" recommended by Pendemonium, and found that the I.D. was right, but the O.D. was far too large.  Now I have some concrete dimensions.

Edited by Tweel, 02 February 2017 - 02:27.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:25

You can easily trim it with scissors.