The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My Experience While Using Other Cartridge Brands For Lamy

cartridge ink lamy sharing experience

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 idrhjn

idrhjn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 15:58

There are a lot of people asking about whether it's okay or not to use other cartridges for Lamy, but the answers are all about opinions from people who doesn't have experience. I thought it'd be nice if there was a forum dedicated for everyone sharing their experiences (I tried to find one before deciding to make this), good or bad, regarding this.

Sharing pics of your handwriting with the pen (w/ the brand -- cartridge) is better  :) 

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:18

This is my understanding -- 

LAMY fountain pens are intended to use LAMY cartridges ONLY.   

It is reported in FPN that Parker cartridges will fit, as well.  I believe, however, that the hole, punched by the pen, is different for LAMY than Parker.  Therefore, one should not use the same individual cartridge for both pens, as the cartridge might not seal.  

Neither LAMY cartridge nor Parker cartridges are scarce.  Most of my pens, of these brands, have converters.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 Robert Alan

Robert Alan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:12

I don't recommend using another manufacturer's cartridge in a Lamy cartridge/converter pen. With another brand of cartridge, I think one runs the risk of damaging the feed nipple.  Also, apparently it is not widely known that Lamy's cartridge system is designed to employ the barrel, by screwing it onto the section with the cartridge resting inside the barrel, to seat the cartridge onto the feed nipple.  One does not push a Lamy cartridge onto the feed nipple and then screw on the barrel.  

Like "Sasha Royale," I usually use a converter so I have a wide choice of ink possibilities. 

A note on Parker cartridges: Aurora cartridges are interchangeable since Aurora uses the same Parker-type cartridge system.

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan, 02 February 2017 - 04:13.

No matter where you go, there you are.

#4 Dewdrop

Dewdrop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 15:24

Montevideo produce cartridges that specifically fit Lamy pens. I use them regularly and they work fine. They are also cheaper and come in colours not offered by Lamy. They have a Lamy fit one end and an International fit the other.

#5 Robert Alan

Robert Alan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 22:35

Montevideo produce cartridges that specifically fit Lamy pens. I use them regularly and they work fine. They are also cheaper and come in colours not offered by Lamy. They have a Lamy fit one end and an International fit the other.

Thanks for sharing!  I didn't realize they made Lamy-sized fountain pen cartridges.  Guess I should've known since I've used Monteverde blue-black refills in my Lamy ballpoint pens.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 00:28

Thanks for sharing!  I didn't realize they made Lamy-sized fountain pen cartridges.  Guess I should've known since I've used Monteverde blue-black refills in my Lamy ballpoint pens.

/Robert

Thanks for making the transliteration.  I was wondering what Montevideo was all about, there being many brands of stuff extant.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 Dewdrop

Dewdrop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 18:29

Sorry, I meant Monteverde. But my tablet, with predictive text, thinks it knows better.

Edited by Dewdrop, 03 February 2017 - 18:31.

#8 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:14

AFAIK Monteverde makes Lamy size carts in the US. In Germany Herlitz makes combi carts, with a Lamy nipple on one side and a standard international nipple on the other.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#9 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:19

There are a lot of people asking about whether it's okay or not to use other cartridges for Lamy, but the answers are all about opinions from people who doesn't have experience. I thought it'd be nice if there was a forum dedicated for everyone sharing their experiences (I tried to find one before deciding to make this), good or bad, regarding this.

Sharing pics of your handwriting with the pen (w/ the brand -- cartridge) is better  :)

We have separate forums for inks, and for handwriting.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#10 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:59

I'm in the UK, where LAMY cartridges are available in our high street shops at any time, not hard to find.

The cartridges hold a good amount of ink, and can be refilled with any inks of choice by using a syringe.

Edited by Mike 59, 21 February 2017 - 09:59.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cartridge, ink, lamy, sharing, experience

Sponsored Content

|