The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Taking My Esterbrook For Granted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 15:39

I have an Esterbrook pen that I bought "on line" about 12 years ago, and, AND it is a great pen!  So good, I tend to "take it for granted!" I know very little about the history of the brand, etc.  I just know that my pen is a great, great writer!  If it is possible for a nib to be TOO smooth, that may be the case with this nib.  It has the number 2668 on the nib.  

With more than a few of my pens, I often wonder when I pick up one of my other pens ------ "Well, I wonder how it is going to "write" today?"

Never have those thoughts about my "lowly Esterbrook!" Always puts great ink on the page!

I believe I know that some of you "collect" Esterbrook pens.  That is of little interest to me.  I just want to marvel at the great pen I have, and enjoy the way it "writes."

C. S.  

Sponsored Content

#2 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 16:00

I have a number of Esterbrooks.  One that I recently purchased has become my sketch pen.  I've found them to be durable, they always start, they are good looking pens, and the ability to change nibs easily is another bonus. Plus, if you need to change out an old ink sac, its an easy fix (it is a great newbie pen or for oldies as well).

Edited by linearM, 01 February 2017 - 16:01.

#3 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 17:44

I have a Black Dollar that has a 2668 in it permanently because it's such a joy to write with.  As Esties predominate my selection of pens, I never can take them for granted, but still am surprised sometimes when I haven't used a certain pen or nib in awhile just how nice of a writer it is.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:25

I have collected a couple of dozen of these pens.  They have been a great learning tool.  J series, M2s and Safari pump fillers.  The great opportunity to try a variety of nibs in 1XXX, 2XXX and 9XXX has been a revelation.  The fines, extra fines, mediums, broads, stubs, obliques and italics at reasonable prices for each kind helped me to learn a lot about the types of nibs and what you can get out of them.  I learned from trying the nibs was that I like an extra fine for most writing, which I hadn't realized before.  Writing a leter or card in one of the italics, 2312 or 9312, is a real pleasure. 

Learning to resac the pens was very useful and the knowledge of how to do it has been helpful in maintaining other makers' pens.  Even on pens you don't want to tackle a restoration of, you have a pretty good idea of what's involved.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sponsored Content

|