The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Taking My Esterbrook For Granted

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 15:39

I have an Esterbrook pen that I bought "on line" about 12 years ago, and, AND it is a great pen!  So good, I tend to "take it for granted!" I know very little about the history of the brand, etc.  I just know that my pen is a great, great writer!  If it is possible for a nib to be TOO smooth, that may be the case with this nib.  It has the number 2668 on the nib.  

With more than a few of my pens, I often wonder when I pick up one of my other pens ------ "Well, I wonder how it is going to "write" today?"

Never have those thoughts about my "lowly Esterbrook!" Always puts great ink on the page!

I believe I know that some of you "collect" Esterbrook pens.  That is of little interest to me.  I just want to marvel at the great pen I have, and enjoy the way it "writes."

C. S.  

Sponsored Content

#2 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 16:00

I have a number of Esterbrooks.  One that I recently purchased has become my sketch pen.  I've found them to be durable, they always start, they are good looking pens, and the ability to change nibs easily is another bonus. Plus, if you need to change out an old ink sac, its an easy fix (it is a great newbie pen or for oldies as well).

Edited by linearM, 01 February 2017 - 16:01.

#3 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 17:44

I have a Black Dollar that has a 2668 in it permanently because it's such a joy to write with.  As Esties predominate my selection of pens, I never can take them for granted, but still am surprised sometimes when I haven't used a certain pen or nib in awhile just how nice of a writer it is.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:25

I have collected a couple of dozen of these pens.  They have been a great learning tool.  J series, M2s and Safari pump fillers.  The great opportunity to try a variety of nibs in 1XXX, 2XXX and 9XXX has been a revelation.  The fines, extra fines, mediums, broads, stubs, obliques and italics at reasonable prices for each kind helped me to learn a lot about the types of nibs and what you can get out of them.  I learned from trying the nibs was that I like an extra fine for most writing, which I hadn't realized before.  Writing a leter or card in one of the italics, 2312 or 9312, is a real pleasure. 

Learning to resac the pens was very useful and the knowledge of how to do it has been helpful in maintaining other makers' pens.  Even on pens you don't want to tackle a restoration of, you have a pretty good idea of what's involved.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:30

I just cleaned and refilled my two favorite Js after nearly a year and a half. I'd forgotten how much fun they were to write with. Even if I didn't have anything to write down, I'd just write about not having anything to write down! :D

The main one is a marble grey with a 9550 nib and filled with blue-black Skrip... for now. Once it's empty again I'm going back to the Starry Night I still have on hand. The other J is black with a 9128 and black Quink. I have a marble copper LJ at home that I need to look at again to see what nib is in in it. It's been sitting empty since the last time I cleaned out all three.

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:38

I've said this before, and it seems like a good place to repeat it.  Esterbrook was making pens when a pen was defined as simply what we now call a nib.  They were all about the writing experience.  When they moved into fountain pens, they really didn't change much - they offered a simple, durable, attractive holder for their nibs, and put an ink supply holder on it.  It was still all about writing.

Other pens may have been more luxurious, but many of those haven't withstood time nearly as well.  Esterbrook is a great pen, and it offers more writing variations than any other brand I can think of.  They are so numerous and affordable that anyone who loves to write should have at least one.   Right now, I'm revisiting a pen that really is one of my favorites - Esterbrook LK Deluxe with a nice, silently smooth 2668 nib on it.  My favorite nib is the 9461, which sits in my Dollar pen.

#7 DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:03

Got home Monday morning and checked the LJ. It's got the 2668. I should go refill it. :)

#8 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2017 - 13:13

I've said this before, and it seems like a good place to repeat it.  Esterbrook was making pens when a pen was defined as simply what we now call a nib.  They were all about the writing experience.  When they moved into fountain pens, they really didn't change much - they offered a simple, durable, attractive holder for their nibs, and put an ink supply holder on it.  It was still all about writing.

Other pens may have been more luxurious, but many of those haven't withstood time nearly as well.  Esterbrook is a great pen, and it offers more writing variations than any other brand I can think of.  They are so numerous and affordable that anyone who loves to write should have at least one.   Right now, I'm revisiting a pen that really is one of my favorites - Esterbrook LK Deluxe with a nice, silently smooth 2668 nib on it.  My favorite nib is the 9461, which sits in my Dollar pen.

Amen. For the first 70 years of its corporate life, Esterbrook was focused on the nib. They made more of them than their next few competitors in the US combined, and made some of the best in the world. They made more varieties for every kind of writing experience and need than anyone else in the US. They got into the fountain pen game a little later than others, but when they did, it was, as gweimer says, all about the experience of writing, not making the fanciest luxury item. Solid, dependable, and great writers. 

No praise of Esterbrook 'round these parts will get you an argument.  :D

My other hobby requires a camera

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#9 Pentode

Pentode

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2017 - 14:30

Esterbrooks are the Toyota Corrolas of fountain pens.  They may not be super-luxurious, but they start every time and they get you where you need to go!

I have ten or so, some from my grandfather's stationary store on lower Broadway during my childhood and others from swap meets and flea markets.  They're easy to work on and, IME, a pleasure to write with.  I, too, am very fond of the 2668 nib, although I'm perfectly happy with any of the Esterbrook mediums - the 1551 being the more common, I think.

I actually just picked several up last weekend at the Long Island Pen Show; Copper, green and grey - three colors I always liked and never had.  All medium nibs.

#10 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2017 - 21:55

You are , of course, correct.  I have never hesitated to uncap and write with my Esterbrook.  It has never occurred to me that it would not write.  I guess that defines a successful product.  Listen to the silence !  It is the wondrous sound of FPN members writing with joy. 

Other things taken for granted include Schrade Uncle Henry pocket knife, Diamond wooden matches, Parker 45 fountain pen, S&W model 65 revolver, Craftsman hand tools, my BATES stapler.  How lucky am I, to live in this world !

Good thoughts, CS.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#11 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 15:15

I might as well repeat myself too. Esterbrooks kick @$$! The nibs are fantastic, the pens last forever, and they are show stoppers. They are purdy. All they would need is a 14 K gold nib?

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#12 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 15:34

I might as well repeat myself too. Esterbrooks kick @$$! The nibs are fantastic, the pens last forever, and they are show stoppers. They are purdy. All they would need is a 14 K gold nib?

And there are some 14K plated nibs out there.  They just aren't easy to find.

#13 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 10,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 15:58

The nibs are natural for the pens.  I have put 14 k nibs in Esterbrooks.  They work perfectly, but they don't feel so natural.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#14 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 17:05

The nibs are natural for the pens.  I have put 14 k nibs in Esterbrooks.  They work perfectly, but they don't feel so natural.

You are correct the 14k nibs dont feel natural. i had three esties with 14k nib but at the moment i only have 1 with a sheaffer feather touch nib, something doesnt feel right to me when i am using 14k nibs.

#15 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 23:11

Makes sense.

And there are some 14K plated nibs out there.  They just aren't easy to find.

believe it or not, I do not own a single 14k gold - nibbed pen. I'll probably go for a solid gold nib. 

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

Sponsored Content

|