Here is what their recent Facebook post says:

お客様各位:

誠に心苦しいお知らせをしなくてはなりません。
本日2月1日より長刀研ぎ万年筆と細美研ぎ万年筆の新規受注を一時休止させていただきます(受注再開は2018年6月頃を予定しております)。
■「セーラーオリジナルペン先」製品の受注一時休止のお知らせ(PDF)
 (長刀研ぎ万年筆と細美研ぎ万年筆)

And this is a machine translation of the above:

"Dear customers:

I really have to do a hard hearted announcement. Starting today February 1st we will temporarily suspend new orders for long-sharpened fountain pens and fine sharpening fountain pens (We will resume ordering around June 2018).

■ Notice of temporary suspension of orders for "Sailor's original pen tip" product (PDF)

(Long-blade sharpening fountain pen and fine sharpening fountain pen)"

Seems like they are talking about Naginata togi and saibi togi nibs, eh? Hope all is well with Mr. Y. Nagahara.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakura FP Gallery

• ILM

• The-Thinker

• Mulrich

18 months is a very long time for a temporary suspension. Time to buy a sailor before they're out of stock. Hopefully this is only temporary.

Sailor confirmed me at the beginning of this year that specialty nibs (king eagle, king cobra, cross point .... ) will be reserved for limited editions only. In November last year I managed to have the last King Eagle on an ebonite KOP for a customer. So they will become rare !

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

18 months is a very long time for a temporary suspension. Time to buy a sailor before they're out of stock. Hopefully this is only temporary.

I hope you can still find some because they were already hard to order. If you do do not hesitate ...;o)

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

Sailor confirmed me at the beginning of this year that specialty nibs (king eagle, king cobra, cross point .... ) will be reserved for limited editions only. In November last year I managed to have the last King Eagle on an ebonite KOP for a customer. So they will become rare !

Yeah, but this one talks about the rest of the speciality nibs that were still in production, viz. the regular naginata togi and the (pro. gear slim pearl red) sai-bi togi nibs/pens. Apparently the naginata togi nibs are very popular in Japan.

Edited by ILM

My local pen dealer and Sailor fanatic tells me that there are problems producing the nibs because a single person did many of those specialty nibs and that person has passed or retired and they have no real replacement with enough experience making those specialty nibs. They had a stock of these nibs built up and were selling from that but now they are down to the bottom of the pile with no new production yet but they are trying to train someone to make them.

This is just hearsay. No proof. Sounds plausible. I wonder if anyone knows for sure.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

一時休止期間:

2017年2月1日~2018年6 月頃

今回受注一時休止となる製品:

1)長刀研ぎペン先の製品

(功修漆芸 長刀研ぎ、すす竹 長刀研ぎ、黒檀デスク 長刀研ぎ、プロフィット21マットブラック 長刀研ぎ、プロフィット21 長刀研ぎ、プロフィット21/銀 長刀研ぎ、プロフェッショナルギア金 長刀研ぎ、プロフェッショナルギア銀 長刀研ぎ、その他長刀研ぎ万年筆)

2)細美研ぎペン先の製品

(プロフェッショナルギアスリム 細美研ぎ、その他細美研ぎ万年筆)

From what I understood from the PDF announcement Sailor has

from Feb 2-June Next year

they can not accept any pen with Naginata Togi or Saibi Togi orders (the backlog is immense as they didnt "halt" the production of the Naginata Togis and Saibi Togis)

it seems they are concentrating on churning out the Naginata Togis right now just to lessen the backlog that means the back order for the rest of the nibs should have been done

http://www.sailor.co.jp/pdf/notice/20170201_original-nib_orderstop.pdf

• 3 years later...

Did they mention when they will reintroduce the king eagle ? Or KoP specialty nibs?

The man that single handedly finished every nib apparently did this job for 60 years, so if he has retired, it was overdue!

I heard that sailor has trained a couple to do the same and they increased the workforce, but i donnow why they have not produced the king eagle yet ...

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2020 at 2:11 AM, RJS said:

The man that single handedly finished every nib apparently did this job for 60 years, so if he has retired, it was overdue!

Time to get him back to work!!!!!