The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Like A Purple Yam?

purple violet indigo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 richofthetower

richofthetower

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:54

Sweet Potatoes were always a treat in our family.  My Grandfather was a partner in a Tobacco Warehouse & the Buyers from the National Tobacco Companies were treated like royalty when they "came for the market," (the season for selling the tobacco after it was cut, cured, removed from the stalks, graded, tied & sent to the warehouse for auction sale.)The Auctioneer was the same man every year & hence my Family became & remained friends with him. 

Each year he would bring a bushel of Sweet Potatoes from his home in N. Carolina to be shared among us. I grew up thinking they were better than locally available ones.  Each year my Cousin, who lives in Mississippi sends the same "home" so the tradition continues.  I would never want to have a tasting, between these & locally grown ones, because it might spoil the pleasure over receiving something sent to me, with pride. Baked, with butter, or "candied" (peeled, parboiled, then finished baking, after topped with brown sugar & butter, thickening to an almost syrup) as my Grandmother & Mother prepared them, they are a delight in the Fall.

What beautiful memories and quite a story! This is what I like about forums - connecting with other people and hearing about them and their stories (pens and ink aren't bad either! :D ) Thank you for sharing that! And... those ingredients are making my mouth water!!  :puddle:

Sponsored Content

#22 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:02

Curiously here in Aus, we have --

• Yellow sweet potato (yellow on the outside, yellow on the inside, very sweet)
  • Purple sweet potato (purple on the outside, white on the inside, very boring)
  • White sweet potato (white on the outside, purple on the inside, tasty without being too sweet)

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#23 dragondazd

dragondazd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:39

The threads about Lamy Dark Lilac might be of interest. I don't know if Dark Lilac fits your color, but there's suggestions for similar color.

#24 richofthetower

richofthetower

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 14:47

Curiously here in Aus, we have --

• Yellow sweet potato (yellow on the outside, yellow on the inside, very sweet)
  • Purple sweet potato (purple on the outside, white on the inside, very boring)
  • White sweet potato (white on the outside, purple on the inside, tasty without being too sweet)

That last one sounds a lot like ube. I like it because it's not very sweet. Haha, I have many reasons to visit Oz, you've given me a couple more! 

I have many reasons to visit Oz, you've given me a couple more! 

#25 richofthetower

richofthetower

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 14:48

The threads about Lamy Dark Lilac might be of interest. I don't know if Dark Lilac fits your color, but there's suggestions for similar color.

Hey dragondazd, yeah I've seen reviews about that - definitely a contender!

thanks

#26 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 16:17

Lamy Dark Lilac is a deep lustrous purple... and not exactly plentiful :(

That last one sounds a lot like ube. I like it because it's not very sweet. Haha, I have many reasons to visit Oz, you've given me a couple more! I have many reasons to visit Oz, you've given me a couple more!

nah the white skinned is pale purple inside, not as deep as yours
The purple skinned... fades to light brown when cooked.
Sweet potato has been getting more popular in oz as some ppl try to avoid nightshade family of plants.

Malays also call it "ubi" ... ubi kayu is tapioca/yam/cassava, ubi kentang is normal potato.

#27 richofthetower

richofthetower

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:36

Lamy Dark Lilac is a deep lustrous purple... and not exactly plentiful :(

nah the white skinned is pale purple inside, not as deep as yours
The purple skinned... fades to light brown when cooked.
Sweet potato has been getting more popular in oz as some ppl try to avoid nightshade family of plants.

Malays also call it "ubi" ... ubi kayu is tapioca/yam/cassava, ubi kentang is normal potato.

I'm learning so much about international potatoes on a pen forum!  :D

Thank you, Tamiya!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: purple, violet, indigo

Sponsored Content

|