Ink Like A Purple Yam?

richofthetower

Hey all you ink lovers,

My wife is a big, big fan of purple. Even our wedding had lots of purple accents in it. But, personally, I've never thought too much about the color.

Until, I got into fountain pens. And furthermore, until I recently chowed down on an ube. Allow me to explain: the Filipino ube (Dioscorea Alata, local pron. "OOH-beh") is a yam with a sweet-ish purple/indigo flesh indigenous to Southeast Asia. In the Philippines, it is prized as the essential ingredient of various sweets, and that is how I, being of Filipino extraction, am most familiar with it. However, it is also very nice after a simple boiling. Behold, plain-looking spud on the outside, tuber royalty within:

post-132932-0-90934200-1485915634_thumb.jpg

I haven't eaten one of these in months - before my pen obsession began. Mid-bite, I gazed into its deep indigo insides, stopped chewing and thought, "If only I could find an ink of that hue!". It would be gorgeous and serve as a nostalgic reminder of a childhood stuffing my face with sweetened, creamy cakes and tarts.

Now, I've seen various posts on the FPN and elsewhere in regards to purple inks, but I think the subject could stand a bump. What inks do you think would match this vibrant veggie? Or simply, what is your favorite indigo ink?

Regards,

Rich

Edited by richofthetower

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richofthetower

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that is the color represented by Sailor for Bung Box's "Sweet Potato Purple" ink. (Which was a surprise to me because I grew up only knowing the joys of the yellow sweet potato, also offered by Bung Box called, "Sweet Potato Yellow!")

I believe that is the color represented by Sailor for Bung Box's "Sweet Potato Purple" ink. (Which was a surprise to me because I grew up only knowing the joys of the yellow sweet potato, also offered by Bung Box called, "Sweet Potato Yellow!")

Are either of these inks still available at a reasonable price? I've heard so much intensely passionate praise for the Sweet Potato ink, but I thought it had very limited availability.

Are either of these inks still available at a reasonable price? I've heard so much intensely passionate praise for the Sweet Potato ink, but I thought it had very limited availability.

Sailor Jentle Shigure is a current ink and is available at reasonable prices on ebay or Amazon. Sadly Bung Box inks aren't available at reasonable prices. Additionally, Sweet Potato Purple is usually only available during fall.

Diamine Imperial Purple is very saturated and may go that dark in some pens. KWZ Berry might also work, as might one of their iron gall Violets.

Vanness only has samples of the SPP right now. They have SPY. Only you can decide whether the price is worth it. You could get samples, at least then you'd know their appearance.

I think Sweet Potato Purple is too red for this. From the photo it seems to be a dark bluish purple. Try maybe:

KWZ Ink Grey Plum,

KWZ Ink Iron-gall Gummiberry,

Diamine Regency Blue,

Sailor Shigure,

Sailor Chu-shu (maybe too grey),

and if you can find it:

Sailor Pen & Message Sanyasou.

Sailor Jentle Shigure is a current ink and is available at reasonable prices on ebay or Amazon. Sadly Bung Box inks aren't available at reasonable prices. Additionally, Sweet Potato Purple is usually only available during fall.

Diamine Imperial Purple is very saturated and may go that dark in some pens. KWZ Berry might also work, as might one of their iron gall Violets.

Hi Chrissy,

That KWZ Berry looks close to what I'm looking for!

I guess it would make sense for a sweet potato ink to be available only in the fall... a seasonal ink in line with the veggie it emulates - wow! :D

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Rich

Sailor Shigure would be one to try, but its appearance varies quite a bit depending on the paper.

Looking at shigure on google images - looks terrific!

Thank you ENewton!

Rich

hey BarkingPig - yeah, I've only known yellow ones too. I think they're sweeter than ube, actually :lol:

I would add to the above Franklin Christoph's Tenebris Purpuratum.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I think Sweet Potato Purple is too red for this. From the photo it seems to be a dark bluish purple. Try maybe:

KWZ Ink Grey Plum,

KWZ Ink Iron-gall Gummiberry,

Diamine Regency Blue,

Sailor Shigure,

Sailor Chu-shu (maybe too grey),

and if you can find it:

Sailor Pen & Message Sanyasou.

Hey Lgsoltek

Chu-shu might be a little too grey, but I love how it looks anyhow!

Is that last one a limited edition or something?

Rich

I would add to the above Franklin Christoph's Tenebris Purpuratum.

Ah yes, I'm looking at a swab at The Pen Habit website - very close!

Thank you DrPenfection!

Hey Lgsoltek

Chu-shu might be a little too grey, but I love how it looks anyhow!

Is that last one a limited edition or something?

Rich

You can order any of the Pen and Message inks from eBay seller Cool Japan (name Atsu). He is a pleasure to do business with and the cost is high (double the sticker price, but includes shipping) but worth it for an ink that can only be gotten by getting it directly from the store that sells it.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

hey BarkingPig - yeah, I've only known yellow ones too. I think they're sweeter than ube, actually :lol:

Sweet Potatoes were always a treat in our family. My Grandfather was a partner in a Tobacco Warehouse & the Buyers from the National Tobacco Companies were treated like royalty when they "came for the market," (the season for selling the tobacco after it was cut, cured, removed from the stalks, graded, tied & sent to the warehouse for auction sale.)The Auctioneer was the same man every year & hence my Family became & remained friends with him.

Each year he would bring a bushel of Sweet Potatoes from his home in N. Carolina to be shared among us. I grew up thinking they were better than locally available ones. Each year my Cousin, who lives in Mississippi sends the same "home" so the tradition continues. I would never want to have a tasting, between these & locally grown ones, because it might spoil the pleasure over receiving something sent to me, with pride. Baked, with butter, or "candied" (peeled, parboiled, then finished baking, after topped with brown sugar & butter, thickening to an almost syrup) as my Grandmother & Mother prepared them, they are a delight in the Fall.

You can order any of the Pen and Message inks from eBay seller Cool Japan (name Atsu). He is a pleasure to do business with and the cost is high (double the sticker price, but includes shipping) but worth it for an ink that can only be gotten by getting it directly from the store that sells it.

Hey Sinistral, verrrry interesting!

Thanks for the tip!!

Rich

You might also look at Diamine Damson. The price is very reasonable.

Hi cleosmama,

Looking at some reviews, and hey, that *does* look good!

Thanks

Rich